Author Topic: Exercise and meditation  (Read 143 times)

soparklioin

• Who are you?
    • vipassana
Exercise and meditation
« on: March 16, 2019, 01:27:14 PM »
I've been a distance runner and cyclist for almost 30 years.  Over that time, I've developed the ability to ignore the aches and pains of exercise.  I wonder whether that ability has reduced my ability to feel sensations during meditation... has it developed a filter on sensations?  I'm very intune with other aspects of my body, but those are the ones that I respond to, whereas I've spent a lot of time ignoring the sweat on my face, irritation of my shorts, etc.

Janne

• Who are you?
    • Vipassana
Re: Exercise and meditation
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 04:04:54 PM »
My take on this is that there is always some sort of sensation going on all over our bodies, what may be missing (and often is for beginners at least) is the ability to focus our attention deep enough to each part of your body to really become aware of the sensation. So I would not worry about reducing your ability to feel those sensations, they are still very much there if you just tune in.

tbarron

• Who are you?
    • instructions from The Mind Illuminated
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 07:42:55 PM »
If you sit comfortably in a chair and read a book, you probably won't think about your feet. You'll just ignore them. But when you're finished reading and want to walk to another part of your house, your feet will rematerialize and be ready to do whatever you ask them to. If you spend time looking for and paying attention to the sensations in your body, they'll present themselves for your regard. They're waiting for you. :)

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2019, 10:59:38 AM »
There are different points of view on this. One is that you should pay attention to any sensation, as blocking them out is denying what you are in the moment. Another is to do the opposite, developing the ability to sit without noticing any sensation, so that you are floating rather than sitting. They are both fun to try.
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka