Author Topic: Having trouble with the body scan meditation  (Read 286 times)

hortisimo

• Trying to get back to living in the moment
    • Mindfulness
    • Grateful to be alive
Having trouble with the body scan meditation
« on: January 31, 2019, 04:57:30 PM »
I'm going through some audio guided meditations and part of these meditations are 10+ minute long body scans. I'm having a hard time spending 10 minutes scanning my body, because it seems like there are only ever a few points of sensation: contact points with the floor, maybe some strain in my back, and examining my chest breathing. Does anyone have suggestions for how to engage in a body scan for prolonged periods?

Thank you!

raushan

• Staff
  • from India
    • S. N. Goenka switched to Samatha Forest Tradition
Re: Having trouble with the body scan meditation
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 11:08:54 PM »
You can got to the 10 days retreat to learn meditation properly.

Or, there is pdf file at the home page of this forum of meditation instruction.

Laurent

• don't feed the troll
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 12:56:30 AM »
I'm going through some audio guided meditations and part of these meditations are 10+ minute long body scans. I'm having a hard time spending 10 minutes scanning my body, because it seems like there are only ever a few points of sensation: contact points with the floor, maybe some strain in my back, and examining my chest breathing. Does anyone have suggestions for how to engage in a body scan for prolonged periods?

Thank you!

Hello,

You can choose an area you find interesting and keep observe it instead of moving attention as usual, to increase interest while meditating.

Good luck!

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 10:00:48 AM »

Thank you!
You can also spend this time consciously relaxing each part of the body after scanning it, from toes to the crown of your head, willing each part to relax. That should take up most of the ten minutes.
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

Mert

• None
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 12:01:27 PM »
Ditto stillpointdancer.

Perhaps you need to have something to look, a purpose to keep interest on. Probably you subconsciously think this is no use. From my experience, when you look for stiff places in body with scanning and you realize them, they resolve themselves. It makes you want to do more body scanning exercises, activates brain's reward system and keeps you interested.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 12:06:22 PM by Mert »

Ottercreek

• less is more
    • Vipassana, Zen, Chan
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2019, 01:48:09 PM »
As for me, I need to calm my mind for a long time, just following the breath, before I'm able to do bodyscan at a level that I find interesting, being then able to distinguish subtler sensations, with an increased quality of presence. Somehow, just watching my breath is more interesting to me to start, as I feel it's "working" well for me. I experience bodyscan as being too distractive, and I practice it mostly on retreat.

That's actually a very traditionnal approach, and although I'm not a traditionalist, I find it right for me...

Alex

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2019, 01:33:34 PM »

Thank you!

Hi Hortismo

It seems you are dedicated to explore meditation, good for you!

From what you write, I would like to offer the following suggestions:
-   feel/observe the sensations that are actually present, no matter how much or few. Even the absence of sensation is an interesting experience to observe.
-   at the same time, notice all thinking and judging about how things (you included) should be different than they actually are. Fascinating... this is how our minds work, trying to get somewhere better. And kindly guide attention back to the body scan.

Don’t try to do better or try to get anywhere. Don’t try.
In meditation you are invited to work with what is there already.

Kindly
Alex

soparklioin

• Who are you?
    • vipassana
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2019, 01:20:01 PM »
You can also spend this time consciously relaxing each part of the body after scanning it, from toes to the crown of your head, willing each part to relax. That should take up most of the ten minutes.

Your practice might be aided by a guided meditation from one of many apps.  I use the free Insight Meditation timer.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 08:05:17 PM by Matthew »

Apkallu

• Goenka's beginner after years in other styles
    • AYP first, then MCTB a bit
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2019, 04:43:15 PM »
I could spend like one hour to go through one cycle as I have like sensations every time I spend a few seconds on a zone (10 cm²).

Sometimes, I am just so fed up with this or just being so much in somewhat pain/discomfort (like wanting to throw up) that I just do like real quick scans on huge sensations but this is contrary to what we should look for : sukhuma.

tbarron

• Who are you?
    • instructions from The Mind Illuminated
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2019, 07:36:16 PM »
... but this is contrary to what we should look for : sukhuma.

"sukhuma" is a word I'm not familiar with. What does it mean? Thanks!