Author Topic: Do you catch other's thoughts?  (Read 1820 times)

VipassanaXYZ

• Write something about yourself here
    • Goenka
Do you catch other's thoughts?
« on: December 19, 2014, 10:00:21 AM »
I have been caught unaware many times when I catch other people's thoughts and these thoughts appears to me mine. I was suspecting that some of the thoughts in my head were not mine but recently many other instances actually helped me establish more clearly. I could tell my roomates dreams, I had a song that is not my taste running in my head and humming it when my room mate again said she had this song running in her head etc. Is it because of meditation:) How do you deal with this? Any other such observations?

JMatlack

• I am a psychology student who meditates
    • mindfulness
    • determined
Re: Do you catch other's thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 11:29:35 AM »
first of all you must know yourself very well in order to make these conclusions. Knowing that these thoughts come from another source other then your authentic will is difficult to discover. Truthfully, since birth, in my opinion, it has happened to everyone.  Dealing with it is simple. Just accept that meditation has opened your mind to the capability of suggestion.  In order to better progress on your journey. In the end YOU will be emitting metta to others through the very nature of suggestion that you are become aware of as songs and dreams.  That's just my opinion though. I have the very same situation all the time depending on what I am doing.
"THE ALL (god) is MIND; the universe is mental" written in The Kybalion

Middleway

• Just be a witness.
    • Vipassana as taught by Mr. Goenka - Switched to Shamatha
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 08:02:11 PM »
Yes, it is because of meditation. I would ignore it and not talk about it, as it spooks people.
Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Goofaholix

• Theravada / Insight Meditation
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 10:38:22 PM »
From Buddhist perspective none of your thoughts are yours, at least not the ones that arise randomly in the mind, you can't control them and they are not self.

I don't see how this can lead you to speculate they are someone else's thoughts though.

Quardamon

• Teachers were: P.K.K. Mettavihari, Frits Koster, Nel Kliphuis. (In the line of Mahasi Sayadaw)
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 11:57:54 PM »
Until1 year ago, I had a period of one or two years, that I would sometimes wake up and know from experience, that I had to meditate in order to be able to sleep again.
Sometimes, I would know somewhere during the meditation or after it, that my restlessness had to do with one of my brothers, or with one of a few friends. (I mean, I would know the specific person.)
After I had developed that habit, it could even happen that I was woken up by hearing the cellphone that I use as an alarm clock, or hearing the doorbell. I simply took that symbolically: Someone is calling upon you. Sometimes, I knew immediately who was "calling", sometimes I found out during my sitting. Often times I would know that someone was in distress, because the person had made telephone call a few days earlier (in normal everyday reality). I never checked after my meditations with the person. I had to meditate anyway: If I did not, I would lie awake for several hours. I knew that because I had tried, several times.

In a discussion about metta, I told this to Christina Garbe, a German lady who spent 6 years in Birma, in retreats and studying Buddhism. She said that if one picked up the distress of a person that way, than also the metta that one would send to that person would really arrive there. So that concords with what JMatlack says.
There was a period that I was of the opinion that this touched the core of why one would meditate. That is not my opinion any more. After getting up each night at round three o'clock to meditate for an our, during three months or more, I decided that I wanted to stay closer to normal, everyday reality.

In the sense of  how to deal with emotions, thoughts, longings and fears, it makes no difference whether those are of the own person or of an other person. At least, that is how I see it, as long as it is mainly things happening on the cushion. Lately I talked to a dear friend on the phone, and I found myself crying and feeling despair. And I felt, that it was probably part of her system, part of her personal life. I did not even mention it to her. (I cried silently.) She said some things about a certain artist and his paintings that gave me a hint that I was right. Anyway - I do not like this kind of mingling of persons. It can have a practical value, like it can have a practical value when a good friend or a family member really understands what is going on in you. And it can be very impractical if one gets confused about who one is.

I stop now.

VipassanaXYZ

• Goenka
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 06:36:43 AM »
I just needed to know that it happens.

I can deal with it, in fact it is quite handy if I handle it well ...

Thanks my friends.

Sending lot of love :)

Thanisaro85

• Practising vipassana, to eliminate suffering.
    • Vipassana, wat amphawan Singburi, thailand
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2018, 04:25:20 PM »
Yes, it is because of meditation. I would ignore it and not talk about it, as it spooks people.

Beside able to read other thoughts, When you are looking at a person, are you able to see something going to happened to him or her in the next few days, weeks or months? If so, how do you tell the exact date and time?

How does the image of event looks like in your mind, a running activities or just photo like images. Apologies as i make pre-assumption some of us here has such ability.

I know it is a by product of meditations, but i am really interested in these psychic power thing.

Warm regards.
A Mind Unshaken, when touches by worldy matter, sorrowless, secure and dustless, this is the ultimate great blessing~ Mangala Sutta