Author Topic: access to insight: readings in Theravada  (Read 3773 times)

Ben

access to insight: readings in Theravada
« on: October 06, 2007, 02:55:32 PM »
Dear Friends

If you haven't already discovered Access to Insight, I highly recommend it.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/

You may wish to bookmark.
Kind regards

Ben

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
Re: access to insight: readings in Theravada
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 09:07:01 AM »
Great recommendation Ben, I often go back to read the sutras for insight into difficulties arising in practice. It's all in there somewhere.

I also found that through reading the Majhima Nikaya in particular the historical Buddha became alive and very human to me. I had not ever revered him the way some Buddhists do but his way of thinking and behaving comes through in the old texts. The great thing about the Majhima Nikaya is the bite-sized nature of the discourses.

:)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 09:10:43 AM by The Irreverent Buddhist »
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Ben

Re: access to insight: readings in Theravada
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 12:16:01 PM »
Dear Matt

I agree with you entirely.  I'm a big fan of Bhikkhu Bodhi's translation of the Majjhima Nikaya which hasn't been made available electronically. I've got a hardback copy here at home which I refer to from time to time. 
One of the great things I like about access to insight is its searchability and the supporting material such as the glossary and introductory literature by later authors such as Bhikkhu Bodhi, Narada Mahathera and Nyanaponika Mahathera to name a few.  It is by no means a comprehensive collection of suttas or commentaries but it does cover the most popular scriptural material of the Theravada.  Kind regards

Ben