Author Topic: Meditation guide I wrote  (Read 439 times)

pwinston

• Vipassana
Meditation guide I wrote
« on: January 19, 2018, 08:41:26 PM »
I wrote this story which is largely a beginner's guide to meditation:
PLEASE STOP LINKING EXTERNALLY TO YOUR BLOGS - YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED BEFORE THIS IS AGAINST FORUM RULES. ANOTHER INFRINGEMENT WILL RESULT IN A BAN. THANK YOU.
The material is based on many books I've read and my own practice.

But even as I'm satisfied with it overall, I know I've probably glossed over some things or even stated some totally wrong. So I'd be interested in any feedback. I can always revise it. I'm hoping someone stumbles on it and finds it useful, so I'd liked it to be a helpful as it can be.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 11:03:17 AM by Matthew »

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
Re: Meditation guide I wrote
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 11:13:39 AM »
Please stop this behaviour. If you want to write original material here on the forum that is perfectly fine. Linking to your external blogs is not within forum guidelines. You were warned about this behaviour on August 4th 2016 - the forum rules have not changed. If the community wishes to change them (or if you do) then someone start a discussion about what is and is not acceptable.

The basic rule has always been no self promotion. You signed up to this when you agreed to the forum terms of service.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 11:47:07 AM by Matthew »
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

pwinston

• Vipassana
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 02:26:54 PM »
Sorry I did not see the warning before. I see it now looking back. My apologies.

It was not a blog but a regular website with no ads and pitches of any kind. The previous warning said "link removed due to affiliate links on your site" which implies a site without affiliate links is okay. This website has no ads or affiliate links.

It seems like an unfortunate rule. You have a large set of people passionate about meditation, and you restrict yourselves to discussing only things not written by that same set of people. But I will respect the rule, I'm sure it was made for a good reason, sorry for the commotion.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 02:46:39 PM by pwinston »

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 03:02:21 PM »
You signed up to the forum terms of service on joining. "No self promotion" - you've linked to material copyrighted in your name. That's self promotion.

VIPASSANAFORUM.NET TERMS OF SERVICE AND USER AGREEMENT.

13) You agree, through your use of this forum, to not to resort to any self-promotion (posting the link to your websites, blogs etc) either in your profile or in the forum. If you feel that a particular content from your website/blog is relevant to a discussion in any thread, you may post that content only, NOT the link to your website. If there is any other particular need to post any links, please reach out to the forum staff first to clarify the reason and get their permission to do so. Please note that the forum staff reserves the right to accept or deny such requests.

14) You agree, through your use of this forum, to not to post any links to any Social Networking websites and also, any website(s) which offer/advertise any product(s) and/or service(s), either for a price or free of charge.

15) ABSOLUTELY NO TROLLING IN THE FORUM. The forum staff will not tolerate any troll behavior in any manner. For details on what a troll is and what constitutes troll behavior, please refer: http://www.vipassanaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=2083.msg24926#msg24926
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

pwinston

• Vipassana
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 03:45:53 PM »
Thanks for the patient clarification.

I think it's shame because I personally would like to read the words which many people on this form probably write about meditation off the forum. A forum is great for dialog, but it's not the same as long-form writing that people pour lots of time and energy into. I think the head-in-the-sand approach, pretending none of that writing exists, is unfortunate. However I'm sure the rule was made for a good reason, that self-promotion was a problem and the rule was made to fix the problem, so certainly I will respect the rule. Thank you again and I appreciate your efforts in helping maintain the useful resource that this forum definitely is.

oscarabeo

• Who are you?
    • Vipassana
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2018, 09:31:14 PM »
Matthew, pwinston,

maybe for the in-between cases (such as this one) it would benefit everyone to have a way to post long-form content. Other than posting to his blog, does this forum offer an alternative solution for pwinston?

I am a member on another forum which actually has a "blog" feature, incidentally. It works well.

oscarabeo

pwinston

• Vipassana
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 01:01:57 AM »
From my experience it can be difficult to re-post a blog or page that contains images to another location, and retain correct formatting. Once you've got it right in one place, it's hard to do it again somewhere else.

I see boards "On The Net: Text Resources" and "On The Net: Audio/Video". I wonder if there could ever be a "On The Net: Member Created" board.

The idea would be have a specific fenced-in place where linking to member created resources is allowed, with the intent of sparking feedback and discussion. Maybe a description of the board would be "This is the only place on the forums self-promotion is allowed. However all linked content should be on-topic with the forum." Or something like that.

This seems to have a couple of nice properties:

1)People who aren't interested can completely ignore that board and never look there. The "no self-promotion" rule stays unchanged on all other existing boards.

2)People that mistakely post self-promotion elsewhere on the forum can be redirected to this board, rather to be told "shove it".

3)Hopefully, in the ideal case, the new board would yield some interesting discussion, rather than just being a bunch of links.

I'm sure there are other considerations I'm not aware of. But just was trying to think of something that's an incremental change that would address the desire for sharing with minimal disruption to the existing environment.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 01:04:48 AM by pwinston »

Middleway

• Just be a witness.
    • Vipassana as taught by Mr. Goenka - Switched to Shamatha
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 01:54:27 AM »
Pwinston,

You can start your own forum and make your own rules. If you want to participate in this sangha, please follow this forum rules.

best wishes,

Middleway
Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

pwinston

• Vipassana
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 02:05:18 AM »
I've stated 3 times that I intend to respect the rule. Making a suggestion isn't an intimation that I think the existing rule is bad or that I am not going to follow it. I'm glad the forum has a clear vision what they want and is able to uphold that vision. Peace.

Middleway

• Just be a witness.
    • Vipassana as taught by Mr. Goenka - Switched to Shamatha
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2018, 02:13:48 AM »
Matthew, pwinston,

maybe for the in-between cases (such as this one) it would benefit everyone to have a way to post long-form content. Other than posting to his blog, does this forum offer an alternative solution for pwinston?

I am a member on another forum which actually has a "blog" feature, incidentally. It works well.

oscarabeo

The main focus of this forum (as I understand) is to help each other on an individual basis while other members can benefit by reading the posts. There is no need to "push the content". If members are interested on a certain topic, they can do their own research elsewhere.
Take everything I say with a grain of salt.