Author Topic: "neutral" sensations  (Read 91 times)

Rasmus

• Who are you?
    • Goenka Vipassana
"neutral" sensations
« on: November 27, 2018, 06:54:21 PM »
Hello fellow Meditators!

I recently sat my second course in the Goenka tradition and am keeping up the effort to establish a solid practice in my daily life again.

There's a issue that keeps bothering me ever since my first course. Maybe some of you have encountered it in a similar manner along your way as well and can say a few words, I'd be thankful for that.

Espacially during my daily sittings at home, I experience a lot of I'd say "neutral" sensations, ordinary body sensations. Just sensations that like... let me know that I have a body. Nor gross, unpleasant neither espacially pleasant or subtle. There's nothing wrong with that in itself.
The point Goenka neverendingly repeats is to stay aware of the impermanence of all sensations, whatever they may be. And staying equanimous. The difficulty I have is that I don't crave or generate aversion towards the kind of sensations I  mostly experience outside of the retreat-environment, because they just feel so ordinary and neutral to me, and therefor find it quite difficult to not loose the touch to the fact of their impermanence, because... there doesn't seem to be a need to do so. Does anyone understand what I'm trying to say here? :D I just don't want to miss the essence of the technique and really to not loose the grip of it again.

If I'm being to vague please just ask for clarification, for now I don't quite know how to further elaborate but the issue really comes up every sitting.

Thanks in advance, Rasmus

Goofaholix

• Write something about yourself here
    • Theravada / Insight Meditation
Re: "neutral" sensations
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 06:54:14 AM »
The thing about neutral sensations is they don't interest is, in fact they bore us, and boredom is a form of aversion.  It sounds to me like that's what you're dealing with here.

The idea is the generate interest in that which is uninteresting and this enables the mind to become aware of the very subtle changes, it's easy to be ware of big sensations but if one can get interested in the subtle gradually slowly one can notice a lot more that goes on below the surface.

Rasmus

• Who are you?
    • Goenka Vipassana
Re: "neutral" sensations
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 09:02:43 AM »
That's a really helpful change of perspective, thanks allot! I'll try to keep that in mind and be interested even in the most ordinary sensations.

Cheers!