Author Topic: ear pressure and TV/PC screens.  (Read 97 times)

mobius

• shamatha
    • hopeful
ear pressure and TV/PC screens.
« on: November 22, 2018, 01:10:20 AM »
I have two sort of unrelated questions but both are in regards to their possible affect or effect from meditation and didn't feel like cluttering the forum with separate topics;

1)
Have any of you ever gotten or heard of having pressure in the ears or any weird effects on your ears, nose or throat due to meditation? Months ago I got a few severe migraines with associated vertigo and an inner ear problem. I thought it was most likely unrelated to meditation but recently when meditating using the staring method (which I haven't tried in months). I felt a strange pressure in my ear the following day, very much like I was experiencing back during the migraine and vertigo
I'm not really sure ultimately what cured me (my migraines eventually went away. But when I was traveling to and from a hospital everyday for a week or two, I went over a large hill; enough to put some natural pain in my ears from the pressure change. They went away after this! ??
I should clarify that I think my initial migraine was not solely caused by meditation, but cause or worsened by some lack of sleep and going to the dentist. I initially got a severe case of it while at the dentist (which I've never gotten before despite goign to the dentist all my life).

2)
I read here: https://ganzfeld.co.uk/2015/11/ganzfeld-effect
that 'red light' can cause more hallucinations/effects during hypnosis/meditation. Well I've never done exactly that but it just occurs to me that it has only been the past few months or so (around the time I started meditating) that I got a program on my PC called "Flux" which lowers the amount of blue light in your screen (to make it healthier for your eyes) this subsequently increases the amount of red light. It is also around this time I started getting this problem of hallucinating at night while trying to sleep (and the other eye problem). Could this be related? I'd like to try disabling flux for a while just to see if there's a change; but I've really gotten used to it; it does make the screen a lot easier on the eyes... and yet if it's causing these other problems, it can't be all that good. Or it's because of the combination of all these things I'm doing at once.

*in case I didn't mention this 'other eye problem' elsewhere yet: often, especially at night or when tired, I can't remain focused on anything for a length of time as my vision gets weird and I feel I'm almost forced to look away.
"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

"If you learn to laugh at your own stupidity, all your crap will turn into manure very fast. And manure is good for growth." -Sadhguru

sab2612

• Who are you?
    • non
Re: ear pressure and TV/PC screens.
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2018, 02:08:55 PM »
Hello there

I did read your message/question. I couldn't think of anything that could help you. However, I would like to thank you because your vidambana(situation) reminded me of something, something that I didn't realize for a long time. I had a question which I really thought a lot, this is what it reminded me of;
I was once leaving home for an interview. This interview was really important for me as I have been looking for a job for almost 6 months. I prepared really well for this interview, I needed this job at any cost. I dressed well, said to Lord, if I get selected, I will get you a bigger home. Left home and didn’t realize this is Festival season because I was all lost in preparing for this job. Anyway, it’s Holi, a Festival of colors, joy, celebration (well that’s how people know it now).  I didn’t realize I need to now doge those water pistols, canons, water balloons, colors and who knew what else. Anyway, I had no choice but to leave and be careful. It was quite a journey as I was living kind of in ghetto and the Company I applied with was about 45km southwest. I was already nervous and here came the first balloon swinging in the air towards me and splashed on my back ruining my nicely done white shirt. I didn’t mind the pain or the water on shirt much as much as I felt this as a roadblock, as a sign of negativity, a bad sign. But my desperation for the job kept me going. I covered almost half of my journey and now was feeling confident that shirt is almost drying and I am almost there now. I took that as a positive sign, I STARTED feeling confident about getting this job. I stopped by to buy a cigarette right perhaps may be 2.5kms away from my destination at corner panwari ( a corner convenience store). Bought a soda and a cigarette, enjoyed the last drop of soda as I walked a lot and was thirsty and soda really quenched my thirst. Cigarette on the other hand calmed me down, I guess that’s what it does, at least that’s what I have been telling myself since I started it. Anyway, I enjoyed the last puff of cigarette to the max, that’s what we often do, don’t we?  And threw the butt away.  The butt was still flying in the air and didn’t touch the ground and here I felt another splash on my back, this time a much stronger, bigger. There was a crowd of about 5 kids and they were throwing water balloons. I got hit at least 3 times if not more. But they were big ones and with colour mixed in water. My shirt was pretty much gone. I ran from the situation, and didn’t stop till I saw the company building. When I saw the building, I was exhausted from running away from kids, perhaps now I realized cigarettes may or may not relax me, but surely makes me feel less of air. But I was happy I am here now and almost forgot and didn’t care about the colour on shirt.
I was crossing the road towards Company office and I slipped on some grease or oil leaking from nearby parked truck. NOW, my shirt, my pant, hands shoes were all dirty, dirty in the greasy oil. I lost all my hope now. Sat there for about may be 5 minutes. Stood up, didn’t know where to go now, had no money to even buy food for the day, I didn’t even realize which direction I was walking into, towards home or away. May be after 30 minutes of walk, I saw a small river, around 3 to 5 feet deep. I don’t know why but I felt like just jumping into it and I did. I didn’t know what I was doing, I just floated a bit in the river, stayed in water top to bottom drenched in that cold water.
Got out of water, felt nothing, about nothing. Walked towards home, didn’t care which way to follow which path to avoid kids. Just walked home, walked by the same kids, they looked at me and just looked and didn’t throw any colour or balloon towards me. I didn’t care either and walked by, I met so many such kids on the way, they all looked at me and even the ones from the balconies, they looked at me and didn’t throw any water balls, I didn’t care either.  Reached home, changed clothes. Opened the fridge, didn’t realize there were so many things to feed myself which I didn’t know I could not only satisfy my hunger but can even enjoy it, such as just a tomato and two potatoes. I made the most delicious dish I could even only with tomato , potato, salt black pepper and a garlic ( in India, this isn’t food at all, ha ha ha). I enjoyed every bit of it and was thinking why those kids, all of those, even those standing in the balcony who could easily target me and I couldn’t even do or say anything to them, even them didn’t do nothing. Why? And I thought and thought….

mobius

• shamatha
    • hopeful
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2018, 04:47:26 PM »
thanks for sharing that story, it was interesting. I like hearing about things from other cultures (I'm from America).

In regards to the screen problem; last night I disabled 'flux' and had no hallucinatory problems that night; it was the first night in a long time that I was able to get to sleep so quickly without this problem! So perhaps there was something to this after all... I won't use flux for a while and see what happens...
"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

"If you learn to laugh at your own stupidity, all your crap will turn into manure very fast. And manure is good for growth." -Sadhguru

Dharmic Tui

• Something
    • Some Theravada, some secular
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2018, 06:58:42 AM »
I've experienced something similar; pressure in my jaw and lower ear, and also across my eyes (the pressure can shift).  Also via meditation, I've developed an ability to wiggle my ears. I personally attribute this to be stress and tension related, through meditation my mind has managed to get in prolonged periods of this stress and tension as I've strived to answer unknown questions on how to be, or desire to be in a blissful state.

Ultimately I found letting go of my thoughts, apprehensions and expectations, and an awareness in the presence to be the best antidote for this feeling.

Siddharth

• unlearning, relearning and letting go
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2018, 02:59:59 PM »
I wanted to say almost exactly what dharmic tui said. Just echoing here to emphasize..
And what is good, Phædrus,
And what is not good...
Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?

VipassanaXYZ

• Write something about yourself here
    • Goenka
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2018, 03:18:30 PM »
Ok a very mundane daily routine recommendation. Look up ear care with Ayurveda.
Hopefully you will find some useful Indian household tips to balance the air pressure/vertigo

Stay hydrated and taking vata balancing diet will help.