Author Topic: weird mental objects  (Read 152 times)

mobius

• shamatha
    • hopeful
weird mental objects
« on: November 15, 2018, 01:24:16 AM »
I apologize in advance as it's is so difficult talking about these things that I fear my explanations will be so off that if anyone else has experienced what I have; they won't recognize what I'm trying to talk about; but I'll try my best anyway.

I've experienced this all my life but I've took more notice of it recently since thinking about meditation and related things.
Sometimes, usually when extremely tired, I will experience something in my mind. Like an object that is there or I'm encountering somehow. Like a thing that's physically appeared in someplace in a way that's difficult to express. Not like a hallucination that's somewhere in my field of vision. Just there somewhere, or somehow in my mind. They are often fleeting, and when it's gone I can barely remember it. Indeed I only have definite memory of this twice in recent times but I know it's happened long ago several times.

One I remember best is when I lost an entire night of sleep and took a nap the next day. While taking the nap, before drifting off to sleep I encountered one of these... 'things'. My eyes were closed and it was very dark but this thing was long and round at parts. I can feel it like it's a shape or physically there somehow yet it's not a normal object I can pick up and hold or anything. This time there was a distinct feeling associated with it like pain, but not quite pain. It was not scary, I was more or less fascinated by it even though it was similar to pain. It was maybe a bit startling as it was so unique. It had a slight dark purple color to it or in it or something. These things have attributes but I can't explain their attributes with words. It's like height width etc. doesn't apply to this but they do have attributes of a type beyond comprehension.

The closest thing I've ever heard anyone else say about this is Terrance McKenna's descriptions of his DMT experiences and the "machine elves" giving him mysterious objects. I don't claim this is anything as remarkable as that. I just don't know what to make of these experiences.
Another recent experience happened I think during normal waking time for me. But this was so fleeting I already cannot remember anything from it. But when I've had these experiences they are very distinct and memorable for at least happening; like a dream. Maybe that's all it really is? Except these encounters felt distinctly different from my meditation or any dream I've ever had as well.

I learned recently that when you are very sleep deprived you can have "micro-sleeps" where you literally fall asleep for a split second and don't even realize it.
I've not really encountered any of these things during my meditation, in spite of all the other weirdness I've encountered.
Anyone here encounter anything like this?
"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

"If you learn to laugh at your own stupidity, all your crap will turn into manure very fast. And manure is good for growth." -Sadhguru

Meditative

• Who are you?
    • Nothing
Re: weird mental objects
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 01:40:39 AM »
I slip into sleep paralysis pretty often when drifting into sleep and sometimes I encounter "shadow beings" with red eyes and other phenomena. Sometimes I can just sense a presence in the room with me without seeing anything. One time I felt something get on top of my chest and was pushing me into the bed. I was like b*tch get off me and bench pressed that f*cker off with my "astral" body. If you encounter them again just stay equinamous, if fear arises go to your breath. We are powerful beyond measure and nothing can harm us unless we let it.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 01:54:55 AM by Meditative »

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 11:26:31 AM »
Yep, stuff like this happens when you meditate. Personally I just laugh, shrug and carry on. As they say, 'It don't mean a thing'.
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

mobius

• shamatha
    • hopeful
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2018, 04:44:17 PM »
Yep, stuff like this happens when you meditate. Personally I just laugh, shrug and carry on. As they say, 'It don't mean a thing'.

Part of me is completely with you on that and just says; ignore all of this; it's a waste of your time. But the other part of me really wants to know what it is! It wants to explore and be playful! What if it's aliens?? (I'm kidding :P )
To be more technical; I think it may be a case of your brain leaking dream like stuff out into your waking mind, due to fatigue or other problems. As this only happens to me when I'm extremely tired. It's well proven that sleep deprivation leads to all kinds of hallucinations and extreme deprivation leads to total insanity.

--------

I was going to make a separate topic but then I realized this is likely very similar to this topic.

Silent Noises

I've noticed this since I was young. If I'm in a very quiet place, and being still and quiet sometimes (not always) I will hear an audible sound. Often it's like a hissing or ringing noise that's difficult to describe. Sometimes, more rarely, it's like a roar or rumbling sound like water or an earthquake. It's not the same as ringing in the ears that comes from damage; I've experienced that as well, it's distinctly different. I can't really tell where it's coming from; it's similar to a ringing in that it's likely coming from my own head. But it's unusual in that it seems like it's all around me; and like, perhaps it's really there all the time but other sounds drown it out.
I wonder if it is like auditory hallucinations; in the absence of sound the brain creates it's own sound. Or if I'm somehow hearing sounds of my own mind or body. I can hear my own neck turning when it's really quiet. Of course that may not be a  good thing...
"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

"If you learn to laugh at your own stupidity, all your crap will turn into manure very fast. And manure is good for growth." -Sadhguru

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
    • Insight meditation
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2018, 11:06:16 AM »

Part of me is completely with you on that and just says; ignore all of this; it's a waste of your time. But the other part of me really wants to know what it is! It wants to explore and be playful! What if it's aliens?? (I'm kidding :P )
To be more technical; I think it may be a case of your brain leaking dream like stuff out into your waking mind, due to fatigue or other problems. As this only happens to me when I'm extremely tired. It's well proven that sleep deprivation leads to all kinds of hallucinations and extreme deprivation leads to total insanity.

--------

I was going to make a separate topic but then I realized this is likely very similar to this topic.

Silent Noises

I've noticed this since I was young. If I'm in a very quiet place, and being still and quiet sometimes (not always) I will hear an audible sound. Often it's like a hissing or ringing noise that's difficult to describe. Sometimes, more rarely, it's like a roar or rumbling sound like water or an earthquake. It's not the same as ringing in the ears that comes from damage; I've experienced that as well, it's distinctly different. I can't really tell where it's coming from; it's similar to a ringing in that it's likely coming from my own head. But it's unusual in that it seems like it's all around me; and like, perhaps it's really there all the time but other sounds drown it out.
I wonder if it is like auditory hallucinations; in the absence of sound the brain creates it's own sound. Or if I'm somehow hearing sounds of my own mind or body. I can hear my own neck turning when it's really quiet. Of course that may not be a  good thing...
1. Actually I enjoy it when stuff like that happens, like when I was attacked in the shrine room by a demon who wanted a piece of my heart. I nearly laughed out loud when I told it that needed to be careful now that I had infected it with me

2. The noise is probably early stages of tinnitus, which I've had for much of my life. You could mention it to your doctor just in case there is something causing it.
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

Meditative

• Who are you?
    • Nothing
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2018, 06:46:11 PM »

I nearly laughed out loud when I told it that needed to be careful now that I infected it with me

That's savage af  :D  :D

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
    • Insight meditation
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2018, 11:10:18 AM »

I nearly laughed out loud when I told it that needed to be careful now that I infected it with me

That's savage af  :D  :D

As a Buddhist I did feel rather sorry for it afterwards