Author Topic: Buddhist Monks Recommended Me Crystals as a Meditation Aid  (Read 353 times)

Meditative

• Who are you?
    • Nothing
Buddhist Monks Recommended Me Crystals as a Meditation Aid
« on: November 14, 2018, 12:51:36 AM »
I go to a Theravada Buddhist monastery a couple times a week where monks from Thailand teach meditation to the public. During class a monk sits on a platform and guides us through a 30-45 min meditation with the intention of calming the body. Then at the end we do a metta visualization. On that platform there is a large clear quartz crystal sphere about 6 inches in diameter next to the monk(s). I asked about it and they said it's basically a crystal that their old master (who's dead now) programmed to radiate metta. The monks then said every time they meditate in its presence, it feels as if buddha is with them meditating. Some even see buddha in the room with them radiating metta and bright white light.

I participated in one of their ceremonies and they gave each of us a chunk of blessed rose quartz to bring home and meditate with. They even taught us a technique where we visualize the crystal inside us as an object of meditation which improves concentration and calms the body.

The thought behind how crystals work is they emit vibrations like any other being. If we can be open to its vibes, then it can help guide us in clearing blocks and to know ourselves better. It's similar to meditating and soaking in the vibes in a nature space. I myself have felt energies from crystals when I pick them up, especially a piece of blue kyanite that I bought (see attachments). Sometimes I can feel the vibes by just being in the same room as it.Then again crystals may just be a placebo, but if it works then it works right?

I'd like to know your experiences with crystals and how they've impacted your practice or life in general.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 01:30:20 AM by Meditative »

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
Re: Buddhist Monks Recommended Me Crystals as a Meditation Aid
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 12:52:10 PM »
The key is to create an area which enhances your practice, especially when you meditate, and especially so when you are starting out. If the crystal works for you it doesn't matter whether it is a placebo or pseudoscience, or whatever.
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

ChillWW

• Who are you?
    • Practice
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 10:08:02 PM »
How does this help?
Recently I have been thinking about the accessories that might be helpful to focus.
I googled lights, speakers, diffusers but didn't find anything really fits the need.

Meditative

• Who are you?
    • Nothing
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 12:07:27 AM »
ChillWW it helps calm me so that I can focus better. If you've ever meditated in nature you'd know what I mean. I invite you to go to a local gem shop or go to Etsy.com. Don't get attached to the generalized meanings of the crystal or other metaphysical mumbo jumbo. Just find one that resonates with you and go with it. Don't give your power away to it though, it's just there to help you discover your own power and truth. Having plants in your space may also help calm and focus. I find keeping your area clean and organized also helps. I've used essential oil diffusers and incense which help a little bit.

Move your body, dance, or do whatever exercises that resonates with you. It will help you break out of stuck patterns, strengthen your nervous system, and burn off anxious energy so that you can focus. Eat whole, organic, local and seasonal(preferable) foods to help bring your chemistry into balance. Your physiology is intrinsically linked with how you experience life. Also go to a field, take your shoes off and do a walking or sitting meditation. It will help ground your energy so you can focus and connect with mother earth.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 01:29:11 AM by Meditative »

Amanaki

• Who are you?
    • Theravada
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2018, 10:20:56 AM »
As a practecing theravada buddhist my self i have used crystals for years. But not as a tool in it self, The energy that radiate from the different crystals are affecting both the mind and body in calming ways. so if you where to meditate in a crystal cave you would notice how much the crystal affect you.

But in a few areas there are example negative energy after aguments or maybe you are close to a place people fight a lot. then using obsidian crystal can actually help you with some form of mental protection.

I knwo what i write here is on the edge of teaching from Buddha but he said it is ok to experiment and see what works for you.
It means we should not rely totally that all Buddhas teachings will be exactly the same for everyone. You are allowed to experiment to find your path :)

In my humble experience crystal has life too, just in a different way then we use to think of life.

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2018, 07:38:33 AM »
Recently I have been thinking about the accessories that might be helpful to focus.
I googled lights, speakers, diffusers but didn't find anything really fits the need.

There is no need. The best aid to help you focus is to focus, and to notice when you lose focus, then return to focus. This is the essence of all levels of practice: self-reinforcement of wholesome qualities.
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Amanaki

• Who are you?
    • Theravada
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2018, 11:10:29 AM »

There is no need. The best aid to help you focus is to focus, and to notice when you lose focus, then return to focus. This is the essence of all levels of practice: self-reinforcement of wholesome qualities.

The best aid to help you focus is to focus?  If a meditator struggle to focus or look inward, how do you mean it will help to focus even more?
Watching breath can arise the calmness needed to let go of thoughts that arise. example being to notice the thought then not focus on it, because if you focus on the thought you thinking :) meditation is to let go of all thoughts and even let go of sensation to the body.

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2018, 11:55:10 AM »

The best aid to help you focus is to focus?  If a meditator struggle to focus or look inward, how do you mean it will help to focus even more?
Watching breath can arise the calmness needed to let go of thoughts that arise. example being to notice the thought then not focus on it, because if you focus on the thought you thinking :) meditation is to let go of all thoughts and even let go of sensation to the body.

Meditation is to fully face all arising phenomena, to be fully aware of things, starting with body. I didn't write to focus more, just to stick with the practice: and notice when one loses focus. It's like riding a bike .. falling off is how you learn to stay on :)
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Ottercreek

• less is more
    • Vipassana, Zen, Chan
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2019, 12:25:37 PM »
Honestly, I don't see how that kind of belief, like believing in some superpower of crystals, can be consistent with true vipassana practice. I guess it's natural to try to find help in all sorts of beliefs, I did it a little in the beginning, but it can really become an obstacle. Of course when you believe in crystals, you won't believe me  :) ........ Still you might find it interesting to try and stay as objective as possible about it, and see where it takes you...

Meditative

• Who are you?
    • Nothing
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2019, 09:50:05 AM »
Trust me, lately I have been very objective about it and it's not some belief or mental projection. I can seriously feel certain crystals very strongly, there really is something to it in my experience. For me, beliefs, projections and expectations actually block me from connecting with a crystal, I have to keep an objective, clear open mind. So you're right, belief can be an obstacle.

Matthew said meditation is about being fully aware of arising phenomena. Well meditation with a crystal in my hand makes me VERY aware of the phenomena it brings. I bought a piece of moldavite, meditated with it and it blew me away. It helps me go so much deeper. I'm certain it's not my imagination.

Crystals don't contain magical "superpowers," it's just energy, vibration. Everything is energy. It takes a certain level of sensitivity to connect with nature in that way. I don't believe or disbelieve you, just going with my experience.. I invite you to get your hands on one and see for yourself. That's the most logical and objective thing to do before immediately dismissing it as some belief.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 10:21:27 AM by Meditative »

Ottercreek

• less is more
    • Vipassana, Zen, Chan
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2019, 06:21:25 PM »
So when you wrote crystals may just be a placebo you didn't really mean it...

Meditative

• Who are you?
    • Nothing
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2019, 08:55:12 PM »

My bad I should have updated this post but I haven't been here lately. You're right I did say that and I did mean it back when I wrote that post, but from my experiences with moldavite in the last month I now have clear understanding that what I'm feeling is not a placebo  :)

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2019, 10:52:53 AM »

My bad I should have updated this post but I haven't been here lately. You're right I did say that and I did mean it back when I wrote that post, but from my experiences with moldavite in the last month I now have clear understanding that what I'm feeling is not a placebo  :)

Mind you, placebos have been shown to be effective as a medicine, so anything you use can have a positive effect.
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

Ottercreek

• less is more
    • Vipassana, Zen, Chan
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2019, 12:32:48 PM »
Mind you, placebos have been shown to be effective as a medicine, so anything you use can have a positive effect.

I agree and I think it's ok when something works!... It's just that, I wonder how you all feel about it... Meditative may very well practise whatever pleases him but it's not Vipassana or mindfulness practice, is it? It's not just about this particular case, I try to stay open, but honestly I'm growing unconfortable with everything that's being called "mindfulness" and is .... not!

Sorry Meditative, it's ok you're going your way, my purpose is not to attack you  :) I'm just using the opportunity to discuss a point I consider important about practice...

Meditative

• Who are you?
    • Nothing
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2019, 09:15:57 PM »
Stillpointdancer- Yes the mind is powerful. Moreso if you understand the mind and know how to use it. There are cool techniques to induce a placebo effect without the need of an external object.

Ottercreek I never said I was practicing vipassana? I didn't even mention mindfulness once, so no need to feel uncomfortable  :). The main technique I practice is the calm abiding one from this site.. It really fits me. Just sometimes I do it with a crystal in my hand. I don't see how that would make it a completely different practice. I stopped doing the visualization technique the monks practice because it's difficult and feels too forced for me.