Author Topic: Buddhist Monks Recommended Me Crystals as a Meditation Aid  (Read 128 times)

Meditative

• Who are you?
    • Nothing
Buddhist Monks Recommended Me Crystals as a Meditation Aid
« on: November 14, 2018, 12:51:36 AM »
I go to a Theravada Buddhist monastery a couple times a week where monks from Thailand teach meditation to the public. During class a monk sits on a platform and guides us through a 30-45 min meditation with the intention of calming the body. Then at the end we do a metta visualization. On that platform there is a large clear quartz crystal sphere about 6 inches in diameter next to the monk(s). I asked about it and they said it's basically a crystal that their old master (who's dead now) programmed to radiate metta. The monks then said every time they meditate in its presence, it feels as if buddha is with them meditating. Some even see buddha in the room with them radiating metta and bright white light.

I participated in one of their ceremonies and they gave each of us a chunk of blessed rose quartz to bring home and meditate with. They even taught us a technique where we visualize the crystal inside us as an object of meditation which improves concentration and calms the body.

The thought behind how crystals work is they emit vibrations like any other being. If we can be open to its vibes, then it can help guide us in clearing blocks and to know ourselves better. It's similar to meditating and soaking in the vibes in a nature space. I myself have felt energies from crystals when I pick them up, especially a piece of blue kyanite that I bought (see attachments). Sometimes I can feel the vibes by just being in the same room as it.Then again crystals may just be a placebo, but if it works then it works right?

I'd like to know your experiences with crystals and how they've impacted your practice or life in general.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 01:30:20 AM by Meditative »

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
Re: Buddhist Monks Recommended Me Crystals as a Meditation Aid
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 12:52:10 PM »
The key is to create an area which enhances your practice, especially when you meditate, and especially so when you are starting out. If the crystal works for you it doesn't matter whether it is a placebo or pseudoscience, or whatever.
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

ChillWW

• Who are you?
    • Practice
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 10:08:02 PM »
How does this help?
Recently I have been thinking about the accessories that might be helpful to focus.
I googled lights, speakers, diffusers but didn't find anything really fits the need.

Meditative

• Who are you?
    • Nothing
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 12:07:27 AM »
ChillWW it helps calm me so that I can focus better. If you've ever meditated in nature you'd know what I mean. I invite you to go to a local gem shop or go to Etsy.com. Don't get attached to the generalized meanings of the crystal or other metaphysical mumbo jumbo. Just find one that resonates with you and go with it. Don't give your power away to it though, it's just there to help you discover your own power and truth. Having plants in your space may also help calm and focus. I find keeping your area clean and organized also helps. I've used essential oil diffusers and incense which help a little bit.

Move your body, dance, or do whatever exercises that resonates with you. It will help you break out of stuck patterns, strengthen your nervous system, and burn off anxious energy so that you can focus. Eat whole, organic, local and seasonal(preferable) foods to help bring your chemistry into balance. Your physiology is intrinsically linked with how you experience life. Also go to a field, take your shoes off and do a walking or sitting meditation. It will help ground your energy so you can focus and connect with mother earth.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 01:29:11 AM by Meditative »