Author Topic: walking meditation, eye closed or open?  (Read 146 times)

Thanisaro85

• Practising vipassana, to eliminate suffering.
    • Vipassana, wat amphawan Singburi, thailand
walking meditation, eye closed or open?
« on: November 11, 2018, 10:47:59 AM »
Hi meditators,

When you do walking meditation,  during the walking phase, do you close your eye or open them?

I found opening eye quite distracting,  closing my eye i can see the movement of the leg sharply.

But i want to make sure i am using the correct method.

Thanks
A Mind Unshaken, when touches by worldy matter, sorrowless, secure and dustless, this is the ultimate great blessing~ Mangala Sutta

Goofaholix

• Write something about yourself here
    • Theravada / Insight Meditation
Re: walking meditation, eye closed or open?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 05:45:19 AM »
I've never tried walking meditation with my eyes close, I expect if I did I would lose my balance at times as this is what happens when doing walking meditation in dimly lit rooms, and I've never heard a teacher recommending it.

In walking meditation it's expected that you'll have a broader awareness, seeing, hearing, reactions to your surroundings etc.  If you prefer a concentration practice and don't stumble though then I don't see a problem with it.

Thanisaro85

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 06:41:42 AM »
I

In walking meditation it's expected that you'll have a broader awareness, seeing, hearing, reactions to your surroundings etc.  If you prefer a concentration practice and don't stumble though then I don't see a problem with it.

But with your eye opened, where do you set your conscious on ? Is it at the eye or? Thanks
A Mind Unshaken, when touches by worldy matter, sorrowless, secure and dustless, this is the ultimate great blessing~ Mangala Sutta

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 10:42:32 AM »
I was taught that it was nothing to do with the eyes but the psychomotor experience of walking. What it feels like to move, to touch the ground and so on. The eyes are there to keep you safe from walking into things and people.
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

Thanisaro85

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 02:00:45 PM »
Ok, thank you folks so much for replying....

Guess i might want to try each of them consecutively for certain time frame.

Goofaholix

• Write something about yourself here
    • Theravada / Insight Meditation
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2018, 04:10:37 AM »
But with your eye opened, where do you set your conscious on ? Is it at the eye or? Thanks

Whatever you happen to be experiencing at the time, the movement of the muscles, the touch of the feet, shifting balance, intention to make a movement, seeing, hearing, smelling, thinking ...

Thanisaro85

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2018, 01:57:35 PM »

Whatever you happen to be experiencing at the time, the movement of the muscles, the touch of the feet, shifting balance, intention to make a movement, seeing, hearing, smelling, thinking ...

Got it...thanks for the responses, appreciated!