Author Topic: CAN 1 HOUR LYING MEDITATION SUBSTITUTE FOR 1 HOUR SITTING MEDITATION?  (Read 80 times)

GEO2011

• Who are you?
    • vipassana
Hi. In the early mornings before I get up from my bed I do 1 hour of lying meditation and then I get up and do 1 hour sitting meditation. Does anybody happen to know if that 1 hour lying meditation can substitute for the 1 hour daily sitting meditation that the technique requires? Thanks!

Goofaholix

• Write something about yourself here
    • Theravada / Insight Meditation
Re: CAN 1 HOUR LYING MEDITATION SUBSTITUTE FOR 1 HOUR SITTING MEDITATION?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 07:55:11 AM »
How does the quality of your attention compare between the two postures?

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 11:06:20 AM »
Hi. In the early mornings before I get up from my bed I do 1 hour of lying meditation and then I get up and do 1 hour sitting meditation. Does anybody happen to know if that 1 hour lying meditation can substitute for the 1 hour daily sitting meditation that the technique requires? Thanks!

You don't say what type of meditation you are doing. Is it the same for both? Personally I would fall back to sleep during lying meditation unless there was something to keep me awake.
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

GEO2011

• Who are you?
    • vipassana
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 02:50:27 PM »
Thank you stillpointdancer - I do Vipassana meditation (Goenka). I don't fall asleep. Its before I completely wake up. Thank you Goofaholix - quality of attention is the same if not better when lying down. My question however needs an expert's reply. By expert I mean someone who has faced and dealt with this particular issue. Thank you anyway.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 02:57:34 PM by GEO2011 »