Author Topic: To swing back and forth during meditation... Why?  (Read 128 times)

Corda

• Who are you?
    • Goinka teachings
To swing back and forth during meditation... Why?
« on: October 05, 2018, 04:47:41 PM »
Hello
During my meditation sessions sometimes, not always, I start to swing back and forth. Sometimes theses swingings are faster than others, sometimes they are in circles, sometimes in  straight line. It depends. My impression is that they come when I go deep in my meditation. Although I take care not to get attached to this sensation, it is a nice feeling. I know I am not the only one who happens to experience this.

Does anyone has a more or less scientific explanation for them?
Are they a good sign? Maybe a sign that you are progressing?

Thanks in advance

VipassanaXYZ

• Write something about yourself here
    • Goenka
Re: To swing back and forth during meditation... Why?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 07:07:16 AM »
My impression is that they come when I go deep in my meditation. Although I take care not to get attached to this sensation, it is a nice feeling. I know I am not the only one who happens to experience this.

Does anyone has a more or less scientific explanation for them?
Are they a good sign? Maybe a sign that you are progressing?

As you get a little bit of concentration, with the breath, the breath clears the channels. It can physically come up as swinging etc. Many times the meditator is not aware of this. Sometimes you are aware but it looks like a distant event, mind  is focused on bare breath.

The recommendation is to overcome this tendency, by will, by physically stabilizing yourself in Asana, keeping back straight, taking a few deliberate long breaths etc. This should never become a habit, it would become a big hindrance later as you progress. Better to overcome it in the beginning itself.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 07:14:36 AM by VipassanaXYZ »

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
Re: To swing back and forth during meditation... Why?
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 11:00:42 AM »
Some think that you need to lose yourself in meditation, but I was always taught to keep awareness of what is happening around you and with your own body. If you are losing spacial awareness of what your body is doing then part of your meditation should be making sure that you are maintaining a suitable posture, in the same way that you bring awareness back to the breath.
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka