Author Topic: Clinging on meditation?  (Read 434 times)

Josef Ruzicka

• Who are you?
    • Vipassana taught by S. N. Goenka
Clinging on meditation?
« on: September 30, 2018, 06:05:41 PM »
Hey everybody,

sometimes I find myself excessively planning my 1 hour evening meditation when do not have so much time that particular evening, fearing that I won't be able to meditate and that runs my brain even more.

I feel like this planning is a waste of time and energy because life is unpredictable. I know that it will happen somehow, with or without meditating so there is nothing to be afraid of, but still cannot stop thinking about that. I just want to have everything under control... I somehow fear that if I don't meditate, I will lose my progress, which is ridiculous but deep down this belief is rooted in me.

Does anyone experience something similar? How do you deal with that?
Thank you all :)

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
Re: Clinging on meditation?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 10:47:21 AM »
Just do a ten minute meditation instead, or one lasting two minutes. Or a longer one every two or three days if that's what you are interested in. It really doesn't matter how often or for what duration, as long as you meditate on a regular basis on the long term. I was once so busy that two minutes at breakfast was the only time I could manage, but gradually those two minutes became all I needed for a while.
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

VipassanaXYZ

• Write something about yourself here
    • Goenka
Re: Clinging on meditation?
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 04:05:04 PM »
Hey everybody,

sometimes I find myself excessively planning ... runs my brain even more.

... nothing to be afraid of, but still cannot stop thinking about that. I just want to have everything under control... I somehow fear 

Goenka talks about five hindrances during the discourses: drowsiness (heaviness/sleep while meditation, going blank, sitting but forgetting the breath, sitting but forgetting where in the body in what order you were observing sensation), craving or desire is another one, agitation is another (say, itching/restlessness), and doubt or fear also aversion of some kind might come up.

Understand this is progress. Yup.

Recognize these mental states as coming of doubt or fear, smilingly face it, it will change leaving you lighter clearer than before!