Author Topic: Brain fog  (Read 223 times)

chin

• Goenka
Brain fog
« on: September 24, 2018, 10:19:55 AM »
I recently switched from Goenka-style Anapana (concentration on the philtrum) - because it was causing a lot of pressure in the forehead - to a more relaxed concentration (on the rise and fall of the belly area). While this has helped me feel more relaxed, I find myself in a weird brain fog quite often. I've started becoming quite forgetful, even losing some important documents, and don't feel as alert as I used to when I did the Goenka-style meditation.

Anyone know what might be going on and any guidance on what I can do?

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
Re: Brain fog
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 10:36:41 AM »
I recently switched from Goenka-style Anapana (concentration on the philtrum) - because it was causing a lot of pressure in the forehead - to a more relaxed concentration (on the rise and fall of the belly area). While this has helped me feel more relaxed, I find myself in a weird brain fog quite often. I've started becoming quite forgetful, even losing some important documents, and don't feel as alert as I used to when I did the Goenka-style meditation.

Anyone know what might be going on and any guidance on what I can do?
I could never get along with that particular meditation for some reason. You could try counting the breath instead which gives the mind something to hold on to until it starts to relax. There are others, so it's a matter of findig which works for you.
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

Laurent

• don't feed the troll
Re: Brain fog
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 10:50:51 AM »
Hello

I have quite the same experience than you with switching from goenka-style to a more global mindfulness of breath in the whole body. I find global mindfulness better for stillness and low chattering but i find that this tends to make me dull while goenka-style vipassana tends to make me energetic and joyful, but in the meditation, there is a lot of chatter.

I decided that in a life with a job, family, friends etc... goenka-style is perfect for me because it empowers me and makes all things easier while developping kindness. Global mindfulness seems to me better if i could spend all time in a contemplative life. So, i love both and practice both alternatively, keeping accent on goenka-vipassana meditation.

I don't find goenka-anapana method particularly relevant. I practice it few time, just to set up attention, and spend most the time with body scan. When i practice this Anapana method i find good to setup attention to the area above the upper lip while keeping attention of the whole body at the same time. I find too much focus is not natural and seems opposite to normal mental health.

What i can say without any doubt is that practising other methods than the only one i knew, has increased the efficiency and comprehension of my practice.