Author Topic: Right Speech/Idle Chatter  (Read 177 times)

Bambs

• Who are you?
    • Vipassana
Right Speech/Idle Chatter
« on: September 12, 2018, 08:53:48 PM »
Hi all,

I would love to hear your thoughts/own experiences about right speech and especially avoiding idle chatter.

What do you think constitues right speech, what kind of things do you avoid, do you avoid certain topics all together?

For example, I just walked to a shop with a friend who I am spending the day at the beach with, and we talked about the weather, her dream she had yesterday, what we'd like to eat for dinner, and pointed out some sights along the way - is this idle chatter and if so, what do you think we should talk about instead in the spirit of right speech?

I struggle in particular to be mindful of speech, so it would be great to hear some other perspectives.

Cheers
Bambs

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
Re: Right Speech/Idle Chatter
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 10:57:40 AM »
Right Speech is the right speech for the occasion. In your example right speech is to join in with the idle chatter, always supposing that it doesn't descend into something, say, racist or harmful in some other way. Being aware of other people's needs in the moment is part of being mindful, of bringing mindfulness off the mat and into the world. This kind of awareness means that your speech is never 'idle' chatter even if it appears to be so.
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

VipassanaXYZ

• Write something about yourself here
    • Goenka
Re: Right Speech/Idle Chatter
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 01:37:09 PM »
If you are a monk, it would probably not be right speech

As a householder and as a meditator, assimilate in the world the best you can, speak well and your speech should reflect compassion friendliness and truthfulness. Meditators with a clean heart and clean intentions can be very good company to both men and women. The deep understanding of Dhamma naturally flows through in everyday tasks, in their honesty and clean intentions. Their speech is generally pleasant and so is their company.

Take care of the intention,  it should not be that you are plain talking and other person perceives this as potential date. In that case best to avoid if it could lead to potential damage to third precept.