Author Topic: Posture + Imagination  (Read 119 times)

Josef Ruzicka

• Who are you?
    • Vipassana taught by S. N. Goenka
Posture + Imagination
« on: September 11, 2018, 08:50:33 PM »
Hi everyone,

what do you do when you know your posture is probably not good for your body but you don't feel any pain or discomfort?

During my meditation this morning, my head tilted to one side, I slouched my back and my legs were not symmetrical while sitting in the chair. Usually this causes discomfort and pain but this time it felt normal. I fear hurting my body somehow because I have already damaged my legs in lotus posture earlier...

Also do you imagine the parts of your body when doing vipassana? Because I think it is impossible to go through the whole body without it. Not that you would vividly see your leg (for example) in your mind but slight imagination of the shape of your legs is there for me. Or how do you perceive that?

Thank you for advice, love this forum :)

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
Re: Posture + Imagination
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 10:04:34 AM »
If there is no pain or discomfort I wouldn't worry. Your body is pretty good at telling you when things are going wrong. I would try sitting with a straighter spine, though, as this seems to improve the meditation.

I always start vipassana meditation with a body scan. Often there is tension that you don't realise is there, and a scan can allow you to relax those parts. For me it isn't a case of visualising the body but of using tactile senses to be aware of it, where it is in space and what sort of relationship it has with your immediate environment.

I have used visualisation of the body, but only as part of a visualisation exercise where, say, I imagine I am being bathed in the light of a tear of the Buddha. That sort of thing.
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

VipassanaXYZ

• Write something about yourself here
    • Goenka
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 03:10:18 AM »
About posture-there may be no pain or discomfort right away but in the long run it's not good.
develop a good habit of having good posture; the spine and back muscles will strengten as time goes by.
You didn't hurt your knees from lotus posture you prolly hurt by pushing yourself - takes time and patience to get there

No imagination, it is entirely possible to move feeling sensations part by part. That is how it should be done.
Working on the breath will help to improve concentration and to perceive sensations

« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 03:11:53 AM by VipassanaXYZ »

dharma bum

• Certified Zen Master (second degree black belt)
    • vipassana
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 01:41:54 PM »
at one 3-day retreat my neck started to hurt on one side, which was when i realized that i was sitting with my head tilted to one side. generally, i try to sit with straight spine, but i don't obsess over it.

i also have a tendency to imagine the shape of the body part when i do the scanning. it is not deliberate. one other tendency i started with but have since outgrown is to move the eyes - if i would be scanning something on the right side of the body, my eyes would turn to the right.

i remember i noticed all this in my first retreat which i found utterly fascinating.
Mostly ignorant

Josef Ruzicka

• Who are you?
    • Vipassana taught by S. N. Goenka
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 03:38:15 PM »
The experience with the eyes are exactly the same for me. First few days of the 10 day course I used to wear contact lenses and my eyes hurt afterwards.