Author Topic: "Push" yourself or not?  (Read 110 times)

Josef Ruzicka

• Who are you?
    • Vipassana taught by S. N. Goenka
"Push" yourself or not?
« on: September 09, 2018, 01:52:47 PM »
Hello,
I have been practising vipassana every morning and evening but today I woke up totally exhausted and did not know if doing the meditation would make any sense. I eventually decided to meditate but after 20 minutes I gave up, fell to the floor, grabbed a blanket and slept for the 40 remaining minutes.

Is it better to try to do the meditation and push yourself or to skip it when you know it would be useless? I found out I don't feel emotionally well today and that is probably the reason of the tiredness. Because when you feel anxiety or depressed, you are not too motivated to do anything...

Thanks for opinions :)

VipassanaXYZ

• Write something about yourself here
    • Goenka
Re: "Push" yourself or not?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 03:49:15 PM »

Is it better to try to do the meditation and push yourself or to skip it when you know it would be useless?

It is never useless

The effort you put may look like it is not giving immediate results but still each moment that you put effort towards equanimity is helping you

there will be high tide and low tide

Consistent practice will also help you do cittanupassana - seeing heavines just as a state of mind, it changes! See the transitions, heaviness, dullness, tiredness, clarity, investigation, reflection, guilt, inspiration ...

Sometimes I have come to the meditation cushion feeling tired and by the time I finished I was much lighter even now I am surprised how this happens

Sometimes the opposite, I feel energetic  and I come for meditation and I start to feel drowsy. It is hard and we fail, but pick back up and use this as opportunity to experientially understand equanimity.

Seeing these changing tides as change, flux

Observing the changing states, watch the breath to steady the concentration and come back to scanning  part by part piece by piece systematically, patiently. Mindful of impermanence.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 03:51:03 PM by VipassanaXYZ »

VipassanaXYZ

• Write something about yourself here
    • Goenka
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 04:26:49 PM »
When you say push yourself the quality of effort has a little bit of stress in it

Means there is strong identification with emotion that has come up, hence the undue stress

If the quality of effort is right, if the quality of concentration is right, then it is easier to work and break through heaviness etc. It is like riding a bicycle smoothly

But to get the quality of concentration right is a skill, you will keep getting better and better with practice

Having said that there are times when there will be this huge struggle, specially against the five enemies that they usually talk about- doubt, desire, anxiety, laziness ...

Fall but don't give up, you are making progress!

raushan

• Staff
  • from India
    • S. N. Goenka switched to Samatha Forest Tradition
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 05:31:29 AM »
It's fine to skip the meditation if you feel too much laziness or tiredness. Sometimes sleeping is more important. Don't be rigid.

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 09:32:54 AM »
Hello,
I have been practising vipassana every morning and evening but today I woke up totally exhausted and did not know if doing the meditation would make any sense. I eventually decided to meditate but after 20 minutes I gave up, fell to the floor, grabbed a blanket and slept for the 40 remaining minutes.

Is it better to try to do the meditation and push yourself or to skip it when you know it would be useless? I found out I don't feel emotionally well today and that is probably the reason of the tiredness. Because when you feel anxiety or depressed, you are not too motivated to do anything...

Thanks for opinions :)
Regular meditation doesn't have to be every day, so you are probably doing too much. If you want the every day thing, try 5-minute meditations. They can have the same effect. You could also try developing fun meditations which lift you up when you are anxious or despressed.
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

Siddharth

• unlearning, relearning and letting go
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 04:37:54 PM »

Regular meditation doesn't have to be every day, so you are probably doing too much. If you want the every day thing, try 5-minute meditations. They can have the same effect. You could also try developing fun meditations which lift you up when you are anxious or despressed.

I like your approach to meditations SPD, I have been following your replies for almost a year now.
Being just out of university and in the ambitious stage of life, I had attached lots of ambitions to my meditation...these days, I write on my to-do list for the next day :
be gentle to self.

I think that is the essence of your approach too.
And what is good, Phædrus,
And what is not good...
Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2018, 11:20:05 AM »

I like your approach to meditations SPD, I have been following your replies for almost a year now.
Being just out of university and in the ambitious stage of life, I had attached lots of ambitions to my meditation...these days, I write on my to-do list for the next day :
be gentle to self.

I think that is the essence of your approach too.
Yes, it's a marathon not a sprint, to quote a sporting analogy. Over the twenty or so years I attended a local Buddhist centre I saw so many people drift into disliking meditation because their regime was too harsh at some point.
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

dharma bum

• Certified Zen Master (second degree black belt)
    • vipassana
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2018, 05:56:05 PM »
imho, an extra hour of sleep easily trumps one hour of meditation. better to get an extra hour of sleep and meditate for 15 minutes than an hour of sleep-deprived meditation. i should mention that this is only my opinion and i have been known to change my opinions.
Mostly ignorant