Author Topic: Vipassana in the morning  (Read 161 times)

Josef Ruzicka

• Who are you?
    • Vipassana taught by S. N. Goenka
Vipassana in the morning
« on: August 26, 2018, 08:10:25 AM »
Hello everyone,

I asume many of us have been practicing 1 hour Vipassana meditation in the morning. But if you get up at 5 AM or earlier to do this task, it is just not possible for me because of numbness and sleepiness. In the first 5 minutes I am dead. I try many sleeping tips and follow a proper sleeping hygiene but it seems it does not work for now.

My tips and tricks:
- same bedtime (11 PM) and waking time (5 AM) every day
- complete darkness and silence in the room
- apps like Sleep cycle, Twilight or F.lux
- a glass of water after waking up
- cold shower in the morning
- same evening and morning routine
- using bed just for sleeping

What are your tips for better sleep and more effective meditation? Thank for advice :)

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
Re: Vipassana in the morning
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 10:32:13 AM »
It may be simply lack of sleep. Six hours doesn't sound like much to me, less if you don't go to sleep instantly.
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

Suited4Battle

• Who are you?
    • Mindfulness meditation. I practice daily. Still learning so much.
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 08:01:30 PM »
^^ I agree, 6 hours a night is not enough,,,most people need a minimum of 7 hours and 8-10 is ideal, we have gotten away from sleeping enough over the last century for various reasons

oscarabeo

• Who are you?
    • Vipassana
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2018, 12:36:18 AM »
Hi Josef,

I don't sleep very well, and the recommendations to simply "sleep more" won't work so well on me -- I'd love to get more than 5-6 hours a night, but sometimes my body will not allow that. Some day I hope to return to my normal 8-hour routine!

Having said that, I've managed to maintain a very strong vipassana practice that continues to improve.

I suppose you are doing the body scan. One technique which is working nicely for me is described in The Mind Illuminated (John Yates.) You do the body scan, but then transfer your attention to the breath, noticing that it's sharper and clearer than it was before you began scanning. You stay with the breath for a while, and when it begins to lose its sharpness, you return to the scan. Doing this over and over tends to lead to profound increases in mindfulness of sensations. You can easily do this for an hour or more.

The other idea is to use a guided body scan. The Dharma Seed app on iOS has many good body-scan guided meditations, including a few which I really like by Ayya Khema. Those can help keep your mind from drifiting away too much.

As far as getting better sleep -- I think you're doing all the right things. You could consider doing some moderate mid-day exercise. After a few months of doing it every day (or every other day) you may see an improvement in your sleep.

o.

VipassanaXYZ

• Write something about yourself here
    • Goenka
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2018, 04:31:20 PM »
I assume you are looking for answers for helping to wake up (and not just through meditation).

I have been practicing regularly, started Vipassana in 2002-2003 and sleep has been a tough issue, even to this date.

I struggle and sharing what I learnt.

I initially used all sorts of logic, inspiration, keeping my head clear, writing diary, using apps ...
it helped but I still clearly struggled.

The solution is in breathing with awareness - simply said but hard to do. Breath is helping me stay aware not just during meditiation, but also through the day! I still have attacks of drowsiness, and I fight (sluggishly, at times).

One thing that helped me reach this awareness where I am able to balance with the breath with more strength was a very physical factor. I physically nourished my spine and nervous system by increasing good fats in my diet, following a yoga routine, and taking herbs like Ashwagandha, Brahmi etc., I basically took help from Ayurveda, and it is helping my body and mind to stay strong, active and alert.