Author Topic: Useless cravings  (Read 791 times)

Josef Ruzicka

• Who are you?
    • Vipassana taught by S. N. Goenka
Useless cravings
« on: August 23, 2018, 03:06:00 PM »
Hello everyone,

we all have some things we would like to do or "should" do and we all have things that we do but we know they are useless. For me, I would like to read a lot of self growth books but once I start I can do that for like one hour maximum. But playing a certain computer game, that might take a whole day or more, it doesn't get boring or exhausting for me. But I don't see a use at that and feel anxious when I know I could be doing something more usefull.

It is the same for food also. I know I "shouldn't" be eating or drinking certain things (I got "addicted" to icecoffe) because I wouldn't feel well after that.

Question is: What do you do when a craving like that arises? Do you try to observe sensation that comes with it? Or do you observe the whole body? Or you distract yourself somehow?

Thanks for advice :)

dharma bum

• Certified Zen Master (second degree black belt)
    • vipassana
Re: Useless cravings
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 04:40:20 PM »
Good question! I'd like to know too.
Mostly ignorant

raushan

• Staff
  • from India
    • S. N. Goenka switched to Samatha Forest Tradition
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 07:44:08 AM »
See our mind works like this. It loves to do the task for which it gets rewarded. Now reward comes in two ways. One is short term reward other is long term reward.
Short term reward are the tasks which you do and you gets rewarded immediately. Like playing a game, It gives you a sense of accomplishment. You beat the opposite team and it generate a reward system in your mind.
or, Watching a movie or taking drugs.
All the above activities gives the short term reward but in the long run it's bad.

So you have to train your mind in such a way that your mind start liking the long term reward. So, set a time aside to do the important work like reading a book. And during that time, do nothing else except reading the book even if you find it unpleasant. Slowly this will strength your mind to not seek the short term reward.

Initially reading for just one hour is good enough. It will slowly grow to more than one hour but not immediately. If you force your mind too much it will retaliate.

Also doing regular exercise or mediation will help you immensly in this process. Read also book called The Willpower instinct.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 09:56:29 AM by raushan »

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 08:43:36 AM »
Hello everyone,

we all have some things we would like to do or "should" do and we all have things that we do but we know they are useless. For me, I would like to read a lot of self growth books but once I start I can do that for like one hour maximum. But playing a certain computer game, that might take a whole day or more, it doesn't get boring or exhausting for me. But I don't see a use at that and feel anxious when I know I could be doing something more usefull.

It is the same for food also. I know I "shouldn't" be eating or drinking certain things (I got "addicted" to icecoffe) because I wouldn't feel well after that.

Question is: What do you do when a craving like that arises? Do you try to observe sensation that comes with it? Or do you observe the whole body? Or you distract yourself somehow?

Thanks for advice :)
There's a whole lot of evidence that mindfulness meditation can help with craving. If you google 'mindfulness based cognitive therapy' - MBCT you'll find some useful stuff.
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

mobius

• vipassana
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018, 10:42:10 PM »
I've noticed that since I started meditating regularly; certain habits (which some may or may not consider bad) I've felt less addicted to. I haven't stopped them entirely but I've felt less craving toward them, and I haven't even tried to do this at all I just noticed it recently actually.

I've been meditating for about a month/2 months now.

I like coffee but I've always drank very little. If I drink more I get jittery and feel bad. I feel like since meditating I am more aware of this and other effects of things on me. So I've now consciously decided to drink less coffee.
"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain