Author Topic: Rare experience after Vipassana meditation  (Read 137 times)

Kjetil G

• Who are you?
    • Vipassana
Rare experience after Vipassana meditation
« on: August 18, 2018, 04:35:08 PM »
 So I´m hoping to find someone here who can cast some light over an experience Im having after Vipassana and couple of months of self-practice.

From my course I learned to concentrate on a focus point which at first was pretty large and vague but later became smaller and stronger. The focus point is like a freeflowing feeling of light pressure, moving about on parts of my body. Afterward, I got greater control of intentionally moving the focus point to certain parts. During my vipassana, I used it to focus on a large blind spot on my shoulder. When holding my focus point on the edge of the blind spot, it would start to pulsate or spin around while slowly pushing inward into the blind spot. Doing this for a while would slowly give me access to enter parts of the blind spot.

I later realised the blind spot was a set of contracted muscles, which would then be pretty much relieved if I put in sufficient time/effort. In this process, it felt like muscle tension was released, fibre by fibre, and I could feel the blood flow running freely, which was quite pleasant. Beneath these kinds of blind spots, which I find more places in my body, I sometimes find a really hurtful tiny spot, which I´m guessing is a nerve or something. Further focus on this tiny spot would make it disappear, and not reoccur days after if I properly dealt with the tiny spot while having perfect equanimity.

What is bothering me now, is that this focus point has become highly active even when I´m not meditating. It´s been active many hours per day and find it intriguing but also distracting when I´m in a meeting at work for instance. Some weeks ago it was then mostly just running down my face on each side. The last two weeks it has been constantly focused on my sinus/nose area. When I do meditate and focus on this I find hurtful spots, but this spot of pain in my face now stretches like a thin line along the side of my nose or along my jaw. Sometimes I can concentrate on this hurtful spot and manage to release the tension so my face starts relaxing much more than before. Unlike the pain in my shoulder the focus point keeps reappearing on my nose/sinus, revealing the same blind spot and the same hurtful thin line.

The last thing that spooked me a bit was that I also started feeling a new sensation like having a sewing needle lightly touching my skin. This sensation happens seldom and only during deep meditation. When it does it is as many as maybe 10 touches per second, particularly on the edges of the blind spots. Wild guessing is that this has something to do with nerve signals to the contracted muscles in the blind spot. This could also be described as something electric instead of a needle touch.  

I´m hoping to find someone that has experienced a similar thing and could shed some light on this phenomenon. I would like to understand more of whats going on in terms of the physical body. And maybe what might be up ahead for me in all of this. I kind of think this is intriguing and a good thing, but it also keeps me a bit worried about what I´m actually developing here. Haven´t really found any good description of this searching the internet, so I guess this is quite rare, but hopefully, some of you here, can reach out.

mobius

• shamatha
    • hopeful
Re: Rare experience after Vipassana meditation
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 12:19:42 AM »
I've not had this exact experience. But I have had the problem of my 'symptoms' of meditation following me around after meditation when it was unwanted.
My solution was fist to take a break from meditation for a few days and when I restarted I did not go as deeply as I did before. More specifically I'm now practicing the Shamatha type which is detailed on the home page here. It is not as intense, drastic or 'mystical' but I can sleep soundly now and I feel better, so I think it is better for me at this point at least.

If you're curious my 'symptons' were I was hallucinating in bed, and couldn't sleep well. Also I woke up in the middle of the night often feeling weird.

This is an assumption/theory based on what I've read on here and from other places:
perhaps it is necessary to ease yourself into meditation and do it very gradually, else the changes in your mind can be too sudden and shocking for your mind/body. Doing it intensely, I think may be like taking the drugs which supposedly do the same thing; alter that part of your brain but do it without your control. Meditating methodically and gradually can give you the discipline to take control over this change in your brain. The downside is this takes much longer, but I think in the long run it is better this way.
Again, this is only a theory based on what I've read so far, I'm no expert so take that with a grain of salt and listen to what the others here can offer you.
It sounds great that you can ease pain in your body and do these things!
"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

"If you learn to laugh at your own stupidity, all your crap will turn into manure very fast. And manure is good for growth." -Sadhguru

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2018, 12:13:33 PM »
So I´m hoping to find someone here who can cast some light over an experience Im having after Vipassana and couple of months of self-practice.

From my course I learned to concentrate on a focus point which at first was pretty large and vague but later became smaller and stronger. The focus point is like a freeflowing feeling of light pressure, moving about on parts of my body. Afterward, I got greater control of intentionally moving the focus point to certain parts. During my vipassana, I used it to focus on a large blind spot on my shoulder. When holding my focus point on the edge of the blind spot, it would start to pulsate or spin around while slowly pushing inward into the blind spot. Doing this for a while would slowly give me access to enter parts of the blind spot.

This sounds like meditation concentrating on the body. It's just one aspect of meditation used to focus concentration, but isn't what I would call vipassana meditation, which is a much larger set of practices. Have a look at the wide range of practices and, as mobius suggests, put together a more gradual path of development.
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

VipassanaXYZ

• Write something about yourself here
    • Goenka
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2018, 04:51:36 PM »
t I also started feeling a new sensation like having a sewing needle lightly touching my skin. This sensation happens seldom and only during deep meditation. When it does it is as many as maybe 10 touches per second, particularly on the edges of the blind spots. Wild guessing is that this has something to do with nerve signals to the contracted muscles in the blind spot. This could also be described as something electric instead of a needle touch.   

You have been progressing and should keep working. Try to sit another Vipassana course and the instructions now will have a new layer of meaning (words he keeps repeating like 'arising and passing'), the sensation of sewing needle is going to further break down and be faster than 10 touches per second, much faster and subtle,r finer, that is if you keep working and keep releasing the knots.

Patiently move in all areas, staying a little longer at blind spots. Come back to breath if the mind is distracted for a few minutes whenever you need to and again start move part by part. See the true nature of these masses of atoms, just arising and passing, like bubbles on water, essenseless, this is what we are made of! Arising and passing, experiencing impermanence!

Sensations are there wherever there is life, every moment.

About feeling sensations during work - gently bring your attention back to work, your concentration is actually helping you!

Be well and keep up :)