Author Topic: Self hypnosis  (Read 47 times)

Merrikay

• Who are you?
    • Scriptural Meditation
    • Blessed
Self hypnosis
« on: August 09, 2018, 05:19:16 AM »
Hi all,

I was watching an Nlp lecture today and it discussed how hypnosis works, by bypassing the critical faculty (firewall of the mind) to reach the subconscious. It struck me that meditation could fall into the same line, bypassing our own firewalls to make changes directly to the subconcious..I just found this really interesting! Any thoughts on it?
And we have known and believed the love that God has for us. God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God in him. 1 John 4:16

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
Re: Self hypnosis
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 10:48:16 AM »
I think Nlp has been discredited, both in claims to success and in the jargon they use. However, the similarities between self-hypnosis and meditation are interesting. As a student, many years ago now, I used a self-hypnosis tape that had a blank space for inserting whatever you wanted to change- smoking, stress, whatever- and used it many times. When I later came to meditation I found the relaxation part of the tape useful for getting me 'into' the meditation.

Later on when I joined a Buddhist group it helped me relax during the body scan parts of a meditation, and whenever I needed to bring my thoughts back to, say, counting breaths. It allowed a better relationship between body and mind.

As to the other aspect, that of using suggestions whilst in a relaxed state is a bit more dubious, and where the two part company. When I did that, instead of using the gap in the tape to impose a message on my subconscious I grew to use the quiet time remain in the relaxed state, before the tape brought me 'round' so to speak. In my experience during meditation, even in a large group, there was no autosuggestion taking place, no message from the person taking the meditation. If there was chanting it was in Pali or Sanskrit but never in English.

The Buddhist path is much more than making suggestions to people in a receptive state, but maybe there are elements that are similar. Perhaps visualisation meditation is closest, where you visualise a personified aspect of the path such as Avalokiteshvara who is big on compassion. As you say, interesting to think about.

“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka