Author Topic: "Breathe into"  (Read 127 times)

Orkide

• Who are you?
    • Mindfulness meditation
"Breathe into"
« on: July 01, 2018, 07:35:07 AM »
I have a hard time with this. I don't think I understand it. "Breathe into your ankle", I heard in a guided bodyscan. Hm. What I do then is direct my focus to that body part, investigate it, concentrate, see if there are any sensations. But "breathing into"..?

This question must have been asked here before. I did some searches but didn't find an answer. If anyone could direct me to an existing thread, that would be great.

I'd also appreciate your experiences of how you "breathe into"  :)

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
Re: "Breathe into"
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 12:54:02 PM »
Maybe it refers to breathing exercises where you take in a breath and imagine it circulating around your whole body, not just the lungs. After a while, it really does feel like that is happening. If you combine it with a chakra visualisation, you can imagine the breath taking on the colours of each chakra as it passes each area.
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

Siddharth

• dampening oscillations towards the golden middle
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 01:57:24 PM »
As far as vipassana meditation is concerned, I doubt if there is any role of imagining anything. I think if you can mention what meditation that video was guiding you with, experienced members can chip in..
And what is good, Phædrus,
And what is not good...
Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?

dharma bum

• Certified Zen Master (second degree black belt)
    • vipassana
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2018, 01:12:39 PM »
i think it's a fanciful way of saying what you're doing already. ive known some western yoga practisioners use that sort of language. "breathe into your calves"
Mostly ignorant

Vivek

• Staff
    • Advaita & U Ba Khin's tradition
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2018, 02:48:06 PM »
What I do then is direct my focus to that body part, investigate it, concentrate, see if there are any sensations.
I think that is more than sufficient, Orkide. You do not need to imagining anything else.
Let's go beyond this illusion, shall we?

Laurent

• don't feed the troll
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2018, 09:33:09 PM »
Hello,

I think this means being attentive to breath while moving attention through the body at the same time.
I do not personally practice mindfulness meditation but i practice vipassana (moving attention through the body noticing any sensations) and sometimes i practice anapanasati (observing global respiration through all the body without especially moving attention)
So sometimes, when i practice vipassana, i feel like my breath goes into body parts i am observing, because i am aware of breath while moving attention through the body. I don't know how it really works though. But i clearly understand the instruction though it's the first time i read it.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 09:34:47 PM by Laurent »

Orkide

• Who are you?
    • Mindfulness meditation
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2018, 10:46:23 AM »
Thanks all!

I heard it in the Calm app. But I've heard it in other guided meditations too. I googled it too and found this: http://yogadigest.com/breathe-into-your-hips/

It's from a yoga point of view, but the explanation makes sense I think.

What I do then is direct my focus to that body part, investigate it, concentrate, see if there are any sensations.
I think that is more than sufficient, Orkide. You do not need to imagining anything else.

But I'll remember this too, thanks :)