Author Topic: Problem during and after meditation  (Read 1014 times)

Dragon-Tiger

• Wanderer-wonderer-searcher-learner
    • buddhism, hinduism, daoism (not good with the terminology)
Problem during and after meditation
« on: June 25, 2018, 01:50:57 AM »
Hello hello!

(i'm not native english speaker so the language may have little shortcomings) And sorry for the long text which is most likely not so clear or consistent as i wanted.

I'd have a sort of complex meditation related problem i suppose. I try to express it in understandable form below here:

First of all, althought i have meditated many years (probably 10-15), i haven't been very constant, sometimes twice a day sometimes weeks without, 20-60 minutes per session. All my knowledge is self-gathered from books and online. I'm feeling i would have still a lot to learn.

I suppose it could be called as a "energy flow" problem (seen such a term).

Many times if i meditate or just trying to, i'm feeling sort of flow, vibration and pressure in my lower belly areas, below belly button, center, left and right. It can be even painful at times.

Scientifically it's likely something to do with semen ducts and prostate.

It is heavily aggravated if i'm using belly breathing technique. Actually i suspect that after i realised that belly breathing is integral part (?) of meditation and incorporated it as part of  my practice - this problem really arised and became as a problem.

This flow isn't happening if i'm just relaxing normally.

Often these flows, vibrations are slightly pleasurable and leads to sort of odd relaxation sensation, which feels more like sluggishness, and my mind is losing concentration and the will to keep on going the meditation, and it's difficult to continue if even tried to.

Sometimes this flow is going to center area (below navel) where it causes increasing pressure. It is usually distracting and uncomfortable. But it is ignorable.

This flow and so on, can be also accompanied with body shaking/rocking, and accelerated breathing but these doesn't happen often.  Mostly i think, if i have had extra tension in body and haven't been easily able to release it.

Often after meditation, there is slight or strong pressure/discomfort on sides or in the center area (lower belly). It can stay there long time, even days. Also if i had this flow/pleasure/pressure during meditation, i usually feel sluggish after meditation, not fresh, or energetic. My mind tends to then have some brain-fog. Difficulties to concentrate. My body tends to have vibrations and twitches all around, and even ear buzzing. My appetite may decrease. I may feel low-mood and low self-confidence. I may feel anxious/restless (more physical than mental). I may have insomnia and not sleeping well and waking up tired. Some other bodily effects, i could list more.

These still would be okay if just a one day problem but these tends to last days.

However these aren't happening always. I have sometimes very good, deep, meditations, without adverse effects. But i think those times i didn't use belly breathing, more shallow breathing, without thinking the breath much at all.

And what meditation styles i use?

I'm not good with the terms but often i just sit closed eyes being aware of being there and letting my mind finding peace, silence, usually a state where is no much thoughts at all, just awareness.

Sometimes i'm experimenting chakra meditation, concentration mostly at forehead.

Sometimes i have some other experiments like loving-kindness things.

I used to sit crossed legs on floor on soft pillow but it was too bad for my groins, knees and buttocks so now i use just normal chair. I've also experimented with standing meditation lately.

This "flow" isn't position related, it happens whether i'm crossed legs, on chair, or standing.

I've tried to search clues for this problem on online but it haven't been fruitful. I wish i knew hindi or sanskrit language, to search deeper. If there is any mention about this.

I'm aware that there's techniques like some kundalini meditations where you breath towards tail-bone and try to move "energy" along your spine. I'm not sure if this "energy" is any ways related to this problem i have.

And what about the daoism energy cycling, well, i'm too coward to test around with that. Afraid that causing more harm than good.

Couple of times i managed to relieve the flow and pressure by using forehead meditation. If i describe the process/sensation i had, i suppose no one understand it but well: i had concentration long time at forehead, then at some point there was pulsating/sucking sensation or i'm not sure was it just imagination but however pulsating/sucking in the forehead. Same time the flow/vibration in the lower belly changed its direction from up to down, and disappeared. And i felt fine. Unfortunately this has been hard to replicate. So i have to endure these symptoms.

Well, actually one way to relieve this is the basic sexual way, but i'm more interested to have some celibation periods. And i think meditation isn't pose to really cause these adverse effects anyway? Unless it's something knots/kundalini related.

Any ideas, tips, hints? Terms i could use for search? Would there be any easy way to avoid this happening? Should i just stop belly breathing - i wouldn't like to? Do anyone have knowledge if this problem is described in some sources?

Namaste, peace and love.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 01:55:54 AM by Dragon-Tiger »

Dragon-Tiger

Re: Problem during and after meditation
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 09:49:58 AM »
I think i had incorrect breathing technique. Modified little bit. I used more my belly as initial target before, and it probably triggered something. What i've tried now on my sessions is having initial concentration in diaphragm then belly follows. Also read more about embryo breathing and incorporating it in to session also seems as good practice. Though i've been experimenting something alike but didn't just know what i was doing.

Still some things has happened during sessions which i'm not sure should i let them happen or try to block them. I've let them happen as they says that things happens but just don't attach on them, but i'm bit afraid i mess up my body.  During session i reach peaceful, calm state but then i'm feeling little pleasurable sensation somewhere in belly. Then my body starts to sway gently back and forth. Then my spine gets very erected. Head/neck my have some nodding movements. And there's sort of slight cool effortless flow like sensation in my back from down to up reaching head. It is slightly pleasurable sensation but nothing remarkable. So far this haven't created any very noticeble post-problems. So i suppose it's safe to let happen.

But oh boy, i know i shouldn't but i miss those sessions where i just sit and nothing odd happen, just peace, calm, warm.
:)

dharma bum

• Certified Zen Master (second degree black belt)
    • vipassana
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 01:02:44 PM »
there are different techniques of meditation and i can't claim to know everything. i also don't believe in things like energy flow etc. what works for me is to breathe normally (as much as possible) and observe my mind, while noting cravings and aversion. trying to recreate a previously attained state of calmness and peace is a kind of craving. i used to do this for a few months/years after doing my first 10-day retreat and i realized that this doesn't work for me.
Mostly ignorant

Dragon-Tiger

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 03:35:32 PM »
^
:) Yeah, i try not to have any expectations before and during sessions but after sessions i have then post-feelings-sensations analyzation, and sometimes those sessions just really makes me wonder should i continue, as result was "this"? Of course, not giving up :)

These breathing things. In the beginning, the time i knew almost nothing about meditation, i had enormous struggle to get my body and mind relaxed. So i was forced to search solutions, so i've dug and tried to dug during past years to find something, tried many things, though could have tried still harder, be more persistent... :)

However, now my mind is pretty relaxed but still body can cause troubles. Breathing techniques has shown to be useful to aid this problem in my situation – but there's own tricks and stumbling blocks. Breathing deeper has really nice effect – the times i manage to get it right. Just, hehe, i'm not totally sure what is the "right", which experiences and sensation i should have. Surely these different things i've read from different traditions cause own mess in my mind. But i guess – if it doesn't cause more harm than good, it can't be very wrong.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 04:02:40 PM by Dragon-Tiger »

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 10:49:25 AM »

I suppose it could be called as a "energy flow" problem (seen such a term).

Many times if i meditate or just trying to, i'm feeling sort of flow, vibration and pressure in my lower belly areas, below belly button, center, left and right. It can be even painful at times.

I'm aware that there's techniques like some kundalini meditations where you breath towards tail-bone and try to move "energy" along your spine. I'm not sure if this "energy" is any ways related to this problem i have.

Any ideas, tips, hints? Terms i could use for search? Would there be any easy way to avoid this happening? Should i just stop belly breathing - i wouldn't like to? Do anyone have knowledge if this problem is described in some sources?

1. 'Energy flow' is a technical description using jargon that tries to explain what you feel during meditation. It doesn't mean that there is any real flow of energy.

2. The pain means that your body is warning you that what you are doing is not right for your body. Try something else for a while.

3. As I said in 1. references to energy are visualisations and don't refer to any real energy. If they are useful then use them, if not try something else.

4. Drop belly breathing for a while, you can always come back to it later. It is supposed to be a more natural way of breathing- you do it in your sleep- but I found it distracting and have always breathed how my body wants to breath. Although I do override it at times to take deeper breaths when I need to.
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka