Author Topic: Meditation causing strange sensations(during) and anxiety(after)  (Read 348 times)

ulab

• Who are you?
    • practice
Hi All,

i need some suggestions with my practice and issues related to my practice. Little background about me i am 33 now, started meditating(breath ) in 2016(apr to oct --50 hours) and in 2017 Jan till Aug (some 100 hrs).afterwards i couldn't continue due to fybromyalgia and lack of concentration due to pain.

in 2018 i started meditating again as i am having relationship issues which is causing more anxiety(i had panic attacks in 2016 and on seroquel 25mg). after my meditation my anxiety got even worse especially during nights ..i dont get sleep i get negative thoughts and with out ambien i cant sleep now(5 mg).

recently in my meditation i started getting a feeling as if my whole body is about to burst( and in fact i want it to happen because i feel it is more like pressure finding a way to escape my body) and it never happens.

if i continue meditating i feel happy calm and if i stop i feel exhausted i get the feeling to continue it but not stop it.

after meditating for 30 or 40 mins..i get to see anxiety at its worst.

can some body help me with this scenario..should i limit my practice or am i over doing it(i was able to meditate some 50 mins yesterday and the damn thing is my mind says be there ..continue dont get out..not sure if i should continue or just limit ).

thanks in advance

raushan

• Staff
  • from India
    • S. N. Goenka switched to Samatha Forest Tradition
Re: Meditation causing strange sensations(during) and anxiety(after)
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 07:05:02 PM »
What type of meditation you are doing ?

ulab

• Who are you?
    • practice
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 07:28:08 PM »
i just watch out my breath.i dint get trained in any of the techniques. i just concentrate near my nostrils and observe the air going in / out.

Also, i have neck issues so i meditate lying down..i dont have problem this way, if i sit and do it my neck hurts very bad

raushan

• Staff
  • from India
    • S. N. Goenka switched to Samatha Forest Tradition
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 08:09:26 PM »
I will reply tomorrow in detail.

oscarabeo

• Who are you?
    • Vipassana
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 03:22:20 PM »
ulab,

I'm sorry to hear about your pain, anxiety, and relationship issues. Any of those things alone can make meditation a difficult experience, let alone having to deal with all three!

If you can be more specific about exactly what the difficulties are during your meditation, you may be able to get better feedback here (just an idea.)

For example, you say that if you continue meditating you feel calm, but if you meditate for 30-40 minutes your anxiety gets worse -- is there a contradiction here or do you usually meditate much longer than this?

Where do you feel the pressure in your body?

Do you continue to feel pain during your meditation, but was that only in the past?

Do you have any other relevant physical sensations that you notice during meditation? Or emotions, like restlessness or fear?

You can also consider going on retreat, if that's a possibility. You may want to consult a doctor before you go. It wasn't until my retreat experience that I felt like, "okay, I kind of know what I'm doing now."

Looking forward to hearing from you.

oscarabeo

ulab

• Who are you?
    • practice
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2018, 03:38:28 AM »
@oscarabeo:thanks for your reply and suggestions

you say that if you continue meditating you feel calm, but if you meditate for 30-40 minutes your anxiety gets worse -- is there a contradiction here or do you usually meditate much longer than this?

may be my wording was incorrect sorry for that (iam not good at english)--- after my meditation may be for 30 to 40 mins..i feel like my anxiety is gone and the very next moment it is right next to me.

i did observe my feel like bursting is intense if i try  NOT to concentrate on my -ve thoughts in fact obsessive thoughts(to be precise why wife is not calling me,is she ignoring me etc ... we are in different countries now).

i used have have these kind of thoughts earlier too but never used to disturb my sleep (alteast 1 pill would work but now 3 pills are not even making me drowsy)
Where do you feel the pressure in your body?
whole body ..most of it in and around heart ..i do have restless body sensations

my brain plays all these tricks against me..even while writing this it says..why do you tell this nonsense to others ..they have their own work.and  i started working against it with very little success.

thanks for all your help.

Laurent

• don't feed the troll
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2018, 10:34:55 AM »
Hello,

Can you try to maintain attention with stability? In this case, you could try to simply observe the sources of disturbance, the hindrances themselves. If this provides too much disturbing reactions, stop this and come back to breath. You could try again later.

Metta

Steve_c53

• Who are you?
    • Shamatha
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2018, 11:46:39 AM »
Hi Ulab, my heart goes out to you at this difficult time, you are not alone with the experiences you are feeling. Many people including myself take up meditation because they have read or been told that meditation is the answer to life's problems - its not, especially in the short term. In fact for me personally meditation seemed to make things worse, all the feelings that you have mentioned, negative thought pattern, sleepless nights etc etc I have experienced also. looking back into the past and digging up all the shite and worrying about the future, obsessively thinking about a particular problem/s. I went through a very tough time but did not give up meditating on a daily basis. For what its worth (I am no expert in meditation) this is what I did to help me.

Don't meditate before bed, I did this for about a year and no kidding my mind went to hell and back during these sleepless nights. 

Try to notice off the cushion when your thought pattern is becoming negative. You will find that in the beginning you are already minutes into the negative thought but with patience and practice you can catch them early and put a stop to them. This is the difficult bit because dragging yourself away is hard work as sometimes when you try to think of something positive to think about you cant! if this is the case try to put yourself in the present moment for as long as you can. Repeat every time you start a negative thought pattern - its not easy but its doable.

Practice loving kindness meditation (very important) on a daily basis - especially to yourself. I do Shamatha for 30 minutes then 5 minutes loving kindness. It does help.

Please note that this advice has come from my own personal experience and I did the above and it did help me.

I wish you all the best in your life and practice.

ulab

• Who are you?
    • practice
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2018, 05:41:03 AM »
@Metta--thanks for the suggestion...i will try to follow and let you know.

@Steve_c53--Thank you,your words offered  a ray of hope.may be, i will also stop mediating before bed(i was under impression that just before bed ,meditation will enhance my mood).I have no idea about Loving kindness mediation ,Will try for sure.

ulab

• Who are you?
    • practice
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2018, 01:01:32 AM »
hello friends,

am here to give you all an update and seek some suggestions.

As my sleep issues are getting more worse i just increased my meditation duration for couple of days (approx 90 mins) and saw some relief(but i was expecting more).

since july 4th was holiday in US i did few experiments..though there is lot i can write i will try to give jist of it  this what i did

july 4-- 4 hours meditation(2 sessions)
5th- 3 hrs(2 sessions)
6th -2 hrs
7th- 7  hours(4 sessions)
8th--7 n 1/2 hours (4 sessions)
9th -- 7 n 1/2 hours (took off as i wanted to continue the momentum).

9th was kind of boring initially but then sudden anxious\obsessive thoughts caused severe palpitations in one of the sessions and was able to handle it after 15 to 20 mins battle..this is when i felt great relief and confidence

all these days it was mere observation of breath ..sleep issues seems to be getting better (taking one pill ).
i get some sensations during meditation--full facial muscle pulls ,tight jaw muscles ,upper gums burning sensations,shaking jaws(should i call shivering ??)

after watching Sir Goenka's videos ..i felt like i need to take one course but only problem is i cannot sit for more than 15 mins (neck issues since past 7 years).all these days i have been meditating by lying down.(i am sure i was not sleeping because with out a pill i dont get sleep ..this is the only part helping me in mediating and of course that is the one that pulled into this meditation) .

Are there any centers that allow people to meditate by lying down(weird question right )?.if not is there a way that i can proceed further by reading books or watching videos .I know that instructor is kind of necessary but i am not sure how to  proceed now.

thanks for all your help and patience

Cirrus

• Who are you?
    • Novice meditator
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2018, 12:49:30 PM »
Hi Ulab. How are you?
I feel for your stresses and health issues. It's good to offer yourself compassion, especially so in difficult times.
I've read about loving kindness meditation and it sounds beautiful. I haven't tried it yet, perhaps we could do so and share our experiences as complete novices!
We have other similarities, I also live with fibromyalgia and anxiety. Depression and mood swings, too. I have found that unless I make conscious effort to remain mindful after practising meditation before bed that my thoughts can rampage and destroy peace of mind. Perhaps we expect too great a gain foo quickly, we live in a world full of instant gratification and can be a victim of this thinking.
I'm sorry I have no advice, it felt right to reach out and say hi.

ulab

• Who are you?
    • practice
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2018, 08:26:07 PM »
@Cirrus-- thanks for the support.

i need to say that my continuous meditation did help me in few aspects and i should say i felt at times miserable too...overall i saw some +ve  results with my sleep issues ,as everybody is different i may need more time to get out of these .

i know my fibromyalgia i purely because of my mind issues caused by relationship and other stress related issues.i did not accept this initially but recently my pain issues got worse every time i had  relationship related issues and when i started working on meditation i see the pain intensity went down.if this is not making any sense to you then its ok am just giving you my experience .

I will try to update you as when i progress(either ways)

Cirrus

• Who are you?
    • Novice meditator
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2018, 10:44:12 AM »
I’m so happy that you’ve seen positive effects!

I understand what you mean about the pain levels and fibromyalgia triggers. Stress is a major factor. I have read that the condition emerges after a traumatic event, physical or mental.
For me it was following a total mental breakdown.

Peace and light to you, may we find relief, patience and peace in our practise. Good luck! And thank you for replying.