Author Topic: What's the point of meditation when you have rage?  (Read 160 times)

juntjoo

• Who are you?
    • None
What's the point of meditation when you have rage?
« on: May 03, 2018, 03:35:26 AM »
I feel like the only antedote to rage is either violence or some advanced form of love, either way until I act on my rage I'm trying to meditate to improve my health after all the havoc that has been wreaked on it from some current rage and a lifelong supply of negative emotions but I'm  not even meditating. I'm writing this. So maybe ill be ready after but it's tough because rage is due to something that is close and affects me daily. Should I be forcing the thoughts associated with the rage out of my mind while I breath or should I somehow integrate these thoughts with my meditation? Sometimes I just can't slow my inner dialogues and monologues so I just accept them as part of it. It's kinda related to another thread I created about forcing diaphramatic breathing. I feel ultimately my body is calling upon me to act ultimately, or God is through my body and I'm just trying to meditate as an excuse not to dedicate my days and nights to solving some problems  that don't quite have easy answers if any at all, if you've ever been there, really facing some challenges in life you can't just knock on a neighbor's door to get a good answer. Should meditation help me somehow by clearing my thoughts or do I just need to let these thoughts keep rolling through til my stupid cowardly mind comes up with a solution? I don't even know what I'm asking. Even still might anyone have an answer?

Re: What's the point of meditation when you have rage?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 07:23:47 AM »
Keep on leg on thoughts and other on breath for sometime.

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 11:36:45 AM »
I feel like the only antedote to rage is either violence or some advanced form of love, either way until I act on my rage I'm trying to meditate to improve my health after all the havoc that has been wreaked on it from some current rage and a lifelong supply of negative emotions but I'm  not even meditating. I'm writing this. So maybe ill be ready after but it's tough because rage is due to something that is close and affects me daily. Should I be forcing the thoughts associated with the rage out of my mind while I breath or should I somehow integrate these thoughts with my meditation? Sometimes I just can't slow my inner dialogues and monologues so I just accept them as part of it. It's kinda related to another thread I created about forcing diaphramatic breathing. I feel ultimately my body is calling upon me to act ultimately, or God is through my body and I'm just trying to meditate as an excuse not to dedicate my days and nights to solving some problems  that don't quite have easy answers if any at all, if you've ever been there, really facing some challenges in life you can't just knock on a neighbor's door to get a good answer. Should meditation help me somehow by clearing my thoughts or do I just need to let these thoughts keep rolling through til my stupid cowardly mind comes up with a solution? I don't even know what I'm asking. Even still might anyone have an answer?

Try googling 'mindfulness anger management' and you will get lots of useful links like this: https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/blog/mindful-anger/201502/the-anger-technique-thats-better-anger-management
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

juntjoo

• Who are you?
    • None
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 01:31:38 PM »

I didn't understand that

BeHereNow

• "Do not doubt your basic goodness." J. Kornfield
    • Shambhala
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 05:59:57 PM »
Hi Juntjoo,

I am sorry you have been consumed by rage lately.  I have been told it is one of the toughest emotions to deal with.

I would recommend trying to separate out the thoughts that you have "talk" from the sensations in the body "feel" as you are meditating.  As you separate them, they may start to lose their grip on you.

You could then work with the feel, sensations in the body, opening to the sensations and becoming curious about them.  Notice how they change and move.  You may feel like a volcano exploding and that's ok, just ride it out.

What can help a lot is an attitude of lovingkindness towards yourself as you practice.  Be really kind and gentle with yourself.  It is hard to be angry!  And the fact that you are working with your anger instead of lashing out is admirable and worthy of profound respect. 

If there is an action to take, it will become clear with time, but you will be able to do it from a place of compassion and self-acceptance, rather than wanting something external to make the discomfort go away.

Best of luck to you.

Much metta,
Paula
"You are the Sky.  Everything else is just the weather." - Pema Chodron

Siddharth

• dampening oscillations towards the golden middle
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2018, 11:20:59 AM »
If you have the access, you might benefit from OSHO's dynamic meditation. It is kind of a forced catharsis in the beginning transcending into short but deep meditative state.
And what is good, Phædrus,
And what is not good...
Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?

Middleway

• A rose is not a rose!
    • Vipassana as taught by Mr. Goenka - Switched to Shamatha
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2018, 12:24:11 AM »

I didn't understand that
Keep one leg on thoughts.....
Take everything I say with a grain of salt.