Author Topic: New to this.. Am I being watched..  (Read 305 times)

Littlebeck

• Who are you?
    • Dont know
New to this.. Am I being watched..
« on: May 02, 2018, 08:28:26 PM »
Hello everyone,

Im very new to this! My background in this feild is very limited. I have been meditating daily for up to 1 hour 10. I climbed up from 30 mins and last night aimed for 2 hours.

I had to stop after 1 hour ten minuets because I freaked myself out. Usually I get pressure around my third eye/mild pulsing, which I am fine with. However this became very very intense, so i went with it until i felt the heavy presence of something in the room, towards the left corner. It felt like a small boy, I questioned if this was a projection of me or something else entirely. Anyway, I kept feeling it(him/me?) getting closer/near my face so...I  just had to stop because it was not.comfortable, and the opposite to relaxed.

Is it normal to feel like you are being watched before you move into higher states of mind? Is it usual for this to take a form?

Im quite a rational person, I guess recently my feelings move toward Taoism, balance and harmony. I'm into cosmology/maths/engineering so .. although I have experienced some odd things in life that could be spiritual/supernatural I almost see things like this as a reflection of time and/or energy or something.. like light from a mirror. But I have to ask... could this have been a spirit? I have read some places say to bless a room before you meditate, is this for real?. and finally, can meditation be dangerous?? I mean in terms of health, can it lead to psychological damage like with hallucinogens? Thie presence felt very strong and real;... So appologies, I know the mind is a powerful, but I think this is more of a reason to ask.

I have no Idea what method I use... I  'observe thoughts' until they become distant/mute whilst concentrating on my breathing, rise/fall or imagine im a sine wave or something. I have read a little on the seven chakras and have concentrating/moving energy up from the root. I always meditate lying down at the moment, eyes closed. (a few nights before they also went mental and started 'REM' style movements before my pineal gland became pressurized).

Anyway..hope this is not asked too often... Hope you can help :)

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
Re: New to this.. Am I being watched..
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 02:25:38 PM »
Hello everyone,
I had to stop after 1 hour ten minuets because I freaked myself out. Usually I get pressure around my third eye/mild pulsing, which I am fine with. However this became very very intense, so i went with it until i felt the heavy presence of something in the room, towards the left corner. It felt like a small boy, I questioned if this was a projection of me or something else entirely.

It was a projection of you.

Is it normal to feel like you are being watched before you move into higher states of mind? Is it usual for this to take a form?

There is a stage fairly early on in meditation where your awareness starts to separate just a little from experience. This is often referred to as "The Watcher". It is a state of mind where ego is still strongly at play, yet you have developed enough awateness for there to be just a little bit of a gap between mind and contents of mind. It is a transitory phenomena, though many practitioners remain stuck in it for a long time as they can form an attachment to it, thinking of it as some form of "spiritual progress".

You say you are a rational person by disposition and this is all good. Rationalisation though is a function of ego, based in words and language which are a large part of the fabrictaion of ego itself. So I would suggest recognising that whatever arises in meditation is an aspect of self, remaining aware of such arisings and inquisitive to whatever they have to teach you about yourself and/or the path of meditation, yet not clinging to, reifying or solidifying any such manifestations. It's a fine line to maintain awareness without solidification yet this will grow with your practice.

Try sitting upright, there will be less of a tendency to fall into states of imagination. At least in the beginnning this is a good way to ground your practice in moment to mement reality.

Best wishes,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Littlebeck

• Who are you?
    • Dont know
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 11:12:58 PM »
Hi Matthew

Before I saw your post I still continued to practise regardless of the experience. It is nice to have some clarity on it as I could not find an answer like you provided, fascinating how the mind works! thanks!

I have had no more experiences like that, but have never had such intensity in any of my sits. Would it be common for something similar to happen again in regards to people thinking its spiritual progress? Is it something to 'face' to allow my awareness to become dominant over my ego/imagination?

I understand your comments on the ego. I have also been reading quite a lot, some on how the ego is a function of mind and separates one from being. I find this detachment will be a long pursuit, however by being observant of my mind and being able to notice when I am amoungst  the 'static' I can very easily make myself present and be overcome by a strong feeling of, well, not sure how to describe it. So, I am begining to differentiate between my 'two selfs' so to speak. I am generally doing this at daytime or when 'awake', as soon as I close my eyes to meditate this state is a lot more difficult to enter. Thoughts prevail and it takes a long time to 'let go' of them, but progression is noticeable. Occasionally Im not even sure if the 'watcher' is a thought.

I have also learnt that chasing the sensation of previous sits is detrimental and sends me back to day one. With no pursuit I find a lot more comes from it. I feel my awareness is probably still to weak and is still a function of mind/ego as when I feel a change or sensation my thoughts suddenly surface and fixate to it. This usually (bar one or two occasions) dilutes back and I find myself almost back at the begining of the session.

Thanks again :)

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 08:44:44 PM »
The only "spiritual progress" one can strive to achieve is letting go. Of everything.
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

VipassanaXYZ

• Write something about yourself here
    • Threvada
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2018, 08:13:45 AM »
Littlebeck

The experience/s will come and go, dont give it much importance.

Give complete focus/attention/power to the breath. 

Practise metta, here is a link in English translation (original text is Pali language spoken by the Buddha):
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/snp/snp.1.08.than.html

Give special attention to this phrase in the metta sutta:
May all beings be happy at heart.

No, I dont think so.

I have read some places say to bless a room before you meditate, is this for real?.

I would say, visit some old established and active meditation centres, and meditate there, you will know the difference from your own experience.

I always meditate lying down at the moment, eyes closed. (a few nights before they also went mental and started 'REM' style movements before my pineal gland became pressurized).

You are experiencing pressure/stress, I recommend again to go to a meditation centre and benefit from instruction and tradition of the place :)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 08:37:22 AM by VipassanaXYZ »