Author Topic: Is short term Meditation beneficial?  (Read 250 times)

Trojan1958

• Who are you?
    • Buddhist
Is short term Meditation beneficial?
« on: April 23, 2018, 08:42:25 PM »
Is short term Meditation beneficial? I sometimes , or often meditate when I have a few minutes, like riding the bus or waiting in line. I focus on my breathing, awareness, and calming my mind. It seems like before that was 'wasted' time, passing through the time, activity or waiting period until I can get to the next 'thing'. Now when Im riding the bus, I am focusing on my breathing, repeatedly bringing my focus back to my breath. I focus on the here and now, not the past or future, and try to make the most of those few minutes. The time is no longer just 'wasted' time, but becomes meaningful. It just happens in such short bursts, Im wondering if it is actually beneficial. Anyone else do anything like this?

dharma bum

• Certified Zen Master (second degree black belt)
    • vipassana
Re: Is short term Meditation beneficial?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 03:51:24 AM »
Is short term Meditation beneficial? I sometimes , or often meditate when I have a few minutes, like riding the bus or waiting in line. I focus on my breathing, awareness, and calming my mind. It seems like before that was 'wasted' time, passing through the time, activity or waiting period until I can get to the next 'thing'. Now when Im riding the bus, I am focusing on my breathing, repeatedly bringing my focus back to my breath. I focus on the here and now, not the past or future, and try to make the most of those few minutes. The time is no longer just 'wasted' time, but becomes meaningful. It just happens in such short bursts, Im wondering if it is actually beneficial. Anyone else do anything like this?

i do it all the time. my theory is that it is as beneficial if not more than sitting meditation because it is more 'hands-on' in the midst of real life. of course, my theories need to be taken with a pinch of salt. :)

the other benefit is that awareness gets boosted by repeated sessions even if they are of short duration.
Mostly ignorant

chin

• Goenka
Re: Is short term Meditation beneficial?
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 09:07:55 AM »
In my experience, it is beneficial, but not as a replacement to dedicated sittings of at least 30 minutes or more. The short "anytime" meditations help me stay calm and aware of my reactions but real insights arise only through the longer sittings. That's just my own experience though. Your mileage may vary.