Author Topic: Daily meditation is making me anxious  (Read 248 times)

Anuk

• Who are you?
    • Goenka
Daily meditation is making me anxious
« on: April 15, 2018, 08:36:52 AM »
Hello! I am new here and had a question about my practice. I've started doing Goenka style Vipassana again over the last 10 days or so and I've noticed I am getting anxious during the day over things which don't normally make me anxious. Like there is an undercurrent of anxiety. This has happened in the past as well and is not a new thing.

Does anyone have any thoughts on it? How can I deal with this in a way that I can still continue to meditate daily?

chin

• Goenka
Re: Daily meditation is making me anxious
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 12:34:26 PM »
Sorry to hear about what you're experiencing. Don't worry, it's normal to experience difficult emotions when you start practicing. They will pass, just keep practicing. It might help to increase the amount of time you spend practicing metta at the end of your sittings, and direct the metta towards yourself.

Btw, when you say "Goenka style", do you mean you've done the 10-day retreat at some point? Did you experience this anxiety then?

oscarabeo

• Who are you?
    • Vipassana
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 03:53:06 PM »
Anuk,

many things are possible, but here's one point of view.

One of the main issues I had while meditating in the beginning was that I would leave the cushion more anxious than I was when I sat down to meditate!

Only after some self-exploration did I realize that I was putting a lot of effort into meditation. I began to try meditating with an attitude of effortlessness, and this has really paid off. I no longer get that anxious feeling.

For context, I've been meditating for about five months, and this change began at around the 2-3 month mark.

o.

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 09:43:53 PM »
Only after some self-exploration did I realize that I was putting a lot of effort into meditation. I began to try meditating with an attitude of effortlessness, and this has really paid off. I no longer get that anxious feeling.

This ^^^
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

oscarabeo

• Who are you?
    • Vipassana
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 03:43:31 PM »
Anuk,

I reflected on my comment a little. Just to be clear, I don't want to give the impression that I'm somehow an expert, or that going effortless was easy or simple for me. It's an ongoing process that I'm still learning from every day.

o.