Author Topic: How to be mindful all day long  (Read 372 times)

raushan

• Staff
  • from India
    • S. N. Goenka switched to Samatha Forest Tradition
How to be mindful all day long
« on: March 13, 2018, 06:00:32 AM »
Hi,

Earlier I used to practice the Goenka Jee Vipassana. In that it was told to be aware of the body sensation all day long. So, I used to that. then I started practicing the Samatha practice. I don't know How to be mindful in this technique even when I am moving. What should be the anchor in this? Should it be breathing at fixed position?

Thanks
Raushan

Siddharth

• unlearning, relearning and letting go
Re: How to be mindful all day long
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 09:06:18 AM »
From my limited understanding, I think one should practice calm on the cushion and this calm penetrates in life off the cushion gradually  but organically. Anyways calm is the keyword
And what is good, Phædrus,
And what is not good...
Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 11:54:57 AM »
'All day long' is a bit much, but there is no reason why you can't set a timer of some sort to remind you to be mindful of body sensations on a regular basis throughout the day, maybe at hourly intervals.
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

Middleway

• Just be a witness.
    • Vipassana as taught by Mr. Goenka - Switched to Shamatha
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 10:05:36 PM »
The moment we wake up, we start making intentions and follow-up with actions to fulfill those intentions. For example, we make intention to brush teeth, take shower, put on clothes and go to office etc. Each and every task we do during our wakeful state precedes by an intention to do it. Remembering these intentions until they are done is what mindfulness facilitates.

Forgetfulness happens when we get lost in thoughts. Our mind gets attached to a train of thought and goes into a loop. This results in forgetting the intention. For example, you go upstairs to turn off the lights but instead you do something else and come back down. Then you end up "remembering" and you go up again. You got lost in thoughts and you failed to remember your intention to turn off the lights. Obviously, this not being mindful.

I suggest you observe your intentions that you make throughout the day and observe yourself carrying out those intentions. This is one way to practice mindfulness off the cushion.   

Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

BeHereNow

• "Do not doubt your basic goodness." J. Kornfield
    • Shambhala
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 01:50:38 PM »
I've been reading "Work" by Thich Nhat Hanh, just a page or 2 right when I get to work, and it is helping me so much in bringing mindfulness to everything I do.  He breaks up the day into all the things you do, and gives tips on how to be mindful for each of them.  It is lovely and a wonderful way to bring more presence, ease and joy into your day.  I've been enjoying work much more since I started it!
"You are the Sky.  Everything else is just the weather." - Pema Chodron

raushan

• Staff
  • from India
    • S. N. Goenka switched to Samatha Forest Tradition
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 11:05:13 AM »
Thanks Paula.

Bought the book. Will read it.