Author Topic: combining vipassana and reiki  (Read 268 times)

LizzieCheetham

• Who are you?
    • vipassana as taught by s n goenka
combining vipassana and reiki
« on: February 10, 2018, 02:28:34 PM »
Hi everyone, I am a vipassana meditator in the tradition of s n goenka. I used to maintain a daily practise of two one hour sittings, however in June last year entered a very tricky period in my life and my practise has changed a lot as a result. I started to suffer from severe sleep disturbances and intense fatigue which made it hard for me to meditate, although I have managed to maintain my practise by doing anapana in the morning and evening, and when I don't feel too tired I observe sensations throughout the body. Due to my fatigue and insomnia I have had to drop out of university to focus on getting better, and since I have been struggling a lot to cope, anapana, vipassana and yoga have been helping me through. Recently I fell and cracked my rib, and it was suggested to me to try some energy healing to see if that would help it to get better faster. I think if I'd been thinking more clearly I would've known that this wasn't a good idea, but at the time I was keen to try anything that might help, as I was in a lot of pain and incapable of practising yoga. The energy healing turned out to be reiki, and it has left me feeling very confused and unwell. I feel it is completely incompatible with my vipassana practise, and since it is my awareness practise that is helping me through this difficult period I now feel very unstable. I was wondering if anyone has any support or guidance to offer - I guess I will just have to sit it out until the reiki energy calms down and I am able to come back to my natural inner equilibrium? I wonder how long this might take? Thank you

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
Re: combining vipassana and reiki
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 11:20:56 AM »
I think that it is important to come to terms with the energy that flows through us during meditation. There is a balance to be sought between generating the energy to drive change and seeking energy for its own sake, to be some kind of 'bliss bunny' getting natural highs from the practice.

I too go through times when the energy seems to take over, and I find it difficult not to twitch when it courses through me like a bolt of lightning. At such times I try to see it as just another distraction, going back to the breath until it calms down. Mind you, lots of people would be surprised that such energy could be seen in a negative light.
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

philclaffey

• Vipassana meditator
  • A human, being.
    • S N Goenka, Vipassana
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 12:37:04 PM »
Hello Lizzie,
I too learnt Vipassana in the SN Goenka tradition and currently sit for just an hour in the morning. Before I was introduced to this I was given Reiki 2 as a gift for work I did as a client. I find that the sensitivity that the meditation practice has is complementary to the ability to sense the movement of energy that takes place when I do Reiki on myself, normally once a month or so, just to tune in, I did it more regularly last year when I had IBS.
I find it works in harmony with my practice, they don't seem to interfere at all.
Not sure if this really helps, but thought I'd put it out there...
Best wishes,
Phil.

Vivek

• Staff
    • Advaita & U Ba Khin's tradition
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 05:04:01 PM »
Hi Lizzie. The teachers in the tradition of Goenkaji strongly recommend against using Reiki if you wish to continue your meditation practice. I think it is best you contact a competent teacher directly to discuss further on this. The teachers should be able to provide further clarifications on this.
Let's go beyond this illusion, shall we?

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Content.
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 02:01:00 PM »
To be blunt Reiki is a form of magic thinking. It may have placebo effect - and this is very real (some scientific studies show placebo effect to be 50% as strong as medical intervention).

Awareness is 100% effective so I would recommend diving deeply into awareness of your feelings and beliefs around subjects to understand them rather than relying on any form of magic thinking. This contemplation is very forensic in nature: what is this feeling? How does it arise? Are there condtions which precede it's arising? Where does it decay to and how?

This applied method can be used to address any issue one faces on the path: including issues related to being on the path, such as struggling with meditation.

There is only one pre-requisite for success when following this path: radical self-honesty. One must engage with total commitment to follwoing the truth regarding any arising. Don't let ego fool you into stopping at a belief, suspicion or habitual thought pattern (it will try hard to do so). Radical self-honesty means fully facing the truth of who you are and what you are manifesting, digging deep to find the roots.
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~