Author Topic: Contemplations  (Read 219 times)

JMatlack

• I am a psychology student who meditates
    • mindfulness
    • determined
Contemplations
« on: February 05, 2018, 11:39:40 PM »
What are some good contemplations to facilitate insight during meditation?

"THE ALL (god) is MIND; the universe is mental" written in The Kybalion

Middleway

• A rose is not a rose!
    • Vipassana as taught by Mr. Goenka - Switched to Shamatha
Re: Contemplations
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 01:19:30 AM »
Self enquiry “who am I” is certainly the best contemplation. Heart sutra is another good one to contemplate on. Contemplating on the “middle way” gets you to deepest insights.
Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 01:38:28 PM »
You don't say how long you have been meditating. If you have developed a couple of basic meditations such as mindfulness of breathing, you can then start to modify them to develop vipassana meditation practice. One way in is looking at thoughts as they arise, and then gently letting them go, but there are other methods you might like to try. Insight meditation is particularly tricky and it may take many years for something like that to arise.
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

Middleway

• A rose is not a rose!
    • Vipassana as taught by Mr. Goenka - Switched to Shamatha
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 03:02:07 AM »
You don't say how long you have been meditating. If you have developed a couple of basic meditations such as mindfulness of breathing, you can then start to modify them to develop vipassana meditation practice. One way in is looking at thoughts as they arise, and then gently letting them go, but there are other methods you might like to try. Insight meditation is particularly tricky and it may take many years for something like that to arise.

Hi Phil,

How is length of one's practice is related to arising of insights or insight meditation as you call it? It may have taken 30 years to get to wherever you are in your practice today, but it may not necessarily be the case with others. In fact, arising of insights has nothing to do with longevity of ones practice. I see several young members of this forum who post with great insights.

Perhaps, this notion that one has to practice for many years for insights to arise may have been a hindrance in your own practice? Perhaps it still continues to be the case? By saying that "insight meditation is particularly tricky and it may take many years for something like that to arise", you are not only doing disservice to other members of this forum, but you may also doing disservice to yourself? Please contemplate on it.

This practice is not akin to some government bureaucratic career ladder; that one has to have, say 15 years of experience, before he/she can become Senior Analyst. Progress in the practice depends on the earnestness in your efforts, persistence, and grace.

kindly,

Middleway
Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

brexit

• designer
    • yoga
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 01:34:31 PM »
Lot of things..I could understand my weaknesses, what matters to me, whats are the changes I need to make for my growth, my role (wrt each family member, society etc), my passion…
all is well

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 01:46:13 PM »

Hi Phil,

How is length of one's practice is related to arising of insights or insight meditation as you call it? It may have taken 30 years to get to wherever you are in your practice today, but it may not necessarily be the case with others. In fact, arising of insights has nothing to do with longevity of ones practice. I see several young members of this forum who post with great insights.

Perhaps, this notion that one has to practice for many years for insights to arise may have been a hindrance in your own practice? Perhaps it still continues to be the case? By saying that "insight meditation is particularly tricky and it may take many years for something like that to arise", you are not only doing disservice to other members of this forum, but you may also doing disservice to yourself? Please contemplate on it.

This practice is not akin to some government bureaucratic career ladder; that one has to have, say 15 years of experience, before he/she can become Senior Analyst. Progress in the practice depends on the earnestness in your efforts, persistence, and grace.

kindly,

Middleway
Actually, insight can happen when you have been meditating for three seconds, three days, three weeks, or three decades. There is no time limit to it, there is no formula for success, apart from perhaps finding some meditation practice that is for you. I guess I wanted to make that point and didn't make it very well. Actually, my insights came very early on, and led me to practice for the next thirty years, not the other way round. The practice was to make sense of what happened and eventually led me to becoming a Buddhist.
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka