Author Topic: What was most helpful when you started meditating?  (Read 391 times)

ninjamonkey1014

• Who are you?
What was most helpful when you started meditating?
« on: January 28, 2018, 03:44:09 PM »
I am relatively new to the practice of meditation. I have been meditating for about a year. I still find it hard to let go of my thoughts. Especially anxious and self-defeating ones. Any advice?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 03:55:39 PM by ninjamonkey1014 »
Moderator edit. Do not post links to your websites.

Middleway

• Just be a witness.
    • Vipassana as taught by Mr. Goenka - Switched to Shamatha
Re: What was most helpful when you started meditating?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 04:44:17 PM »
I am relatively new to the practice of meditation. I have been meditating for about a year. I still find it hard to let go of my thoughts. Especially anxious and self-defeating ones. Any advice?

I use my breath as an anchor and watch the thought procession. I notice that grasping of a thought (rather than just watching) causes the thought train to continue. Try not to grasp and come back to breath again and again. It helps when you scan the body for breathing sensations if thoughts don't slow down by the previous method.

Welcome to the forum.
Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Marshmallow

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 05:01:24 PM »
The way I practice is that I don't try to 'let go' of anything, you need accept your thoughts, whatever they are. Let them come up and let them pass, just observe them. Don't try to get rid of them or push them away, show them some compassion and understanding. Also don't take them too seriously, they're just thoughts. ;)

ninjamonkey1014

• Who are you?
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 05:06:06 PM »
Extremely helpful, thank you!  :)
Moderator edit. Do not post links to your websites.

oscarabeo

• Who are you?
    • Vipassana
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 11:44:17 PM »
ninjamonkey1014,

in my experience, opening up to more sensations in the body can help calm the so-called "monkey mind." The idea is to give the monkey a slightly larger cage to move around in so it doesn't get too claustrophobic. (This phrasing was partially stolen from the book The Mind Illuminated, which is a pleasant and helpful read.)

oscarabeo

Marshmallow

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 06:52:57 PM »
I agree with oscarabeo that mindfulness or getting in touch with physical sensations is the best way to practice. Personally I find that yoga and the body-scan are the most helpful.

I love the analogy you mentioned Oscarabeo! :D

oscarabeo

• Who are you?
    • Vipassana
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 04:47:10 PM »
ninjamonkey1014,

it may also be helpful to the forum if you mentioned what your typical meditation practice is. In the simplest case, this might be what style of meditation you do, when you do it, and for how long. You may get better replies that way.

oscarabeo