Author Topic: Meditation advice for a beginner going through a difficult time.  (Read 288 times)

6amsuccess

• Who are you?
    • beginner from home
Hi All,

I've recently started mediating and am seeking some advice on good practice.

I appreciate there may be no right or wrong way to mediate, but i seem to see a lot of conflicting posts on.

Many seem to suggest simply focusing on your thoughts and allowing them to be, whereas others suggest willed focusing on a certain topic, focus, or area of your life.

Could anyone please off some advice or suggestions on good methods? My personal reasons for meditating are that I have a lot of "chatter" in my mind. I experience an awful lot of negative thoughts that impact my day to day life greatly.

At the moment I am following a simple audio programme of guide meditation sequences.

Thank you in advance

Vivek

• Staff
    • Advaita & U Ba Khin's tradition
Re: Meditation advice for a beginner going through a difficult time.
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 05:37:59 PM »
This would be a good place to start: https://www.vipassanaforum.net/forum/index.php?page=2
Let's go beyond this illusion, shall we?

pwinston

• Vipassana
Re: Meditation advice for a beginner going through a difficult time.
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 06:37:53 PM »
From my experience, one thing to keep in mind, is to not expect the process of meditating itself to be that rewarding, or rewarding at all, on a day-to-day basis. I personally don't enjoy meditating very much, and don't feel noticeably better from having done it on a given day. I know some people do like it, and do feel refreshed or energized or soothed afterwards, but I really never have. I do like it in the sense I know it's good for me, that's why I stick with it.

On the flip side, the changes in my brain having done it for several years are far beyond anything I would have dared to expect. So short term "meh" but long term "wow" was my experience.

With this in mind, you really need a establish a practice you can at least tolerate and stick with it for the long term. The details of the practice I suspect don't matter a lot, but sticking with it does. The above link is probably a good starting point, but there are many totally different types of meditation with different goals and techniques, finding one you like can be part of your practice.