Author Topic: Success stories, anxiety or insomnia  (Read 1146 times)

oscarabeo

• Who are you?
    • Vipassana
Re: Success stories, anxiety or insomnia
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2018, 03:48:47 PM »
Hi all,

I can give a short update.

I've maintained the 2 hour a day practice.

Meditation hasn't helped me too much with my sleep in the last three months, at least with duration. I do have the feeling that my sleep is more efficient than it used to be -- sometimes 6 hours, or even 5.5, suffices. Before, the number of hours I felt I needed was probably closer to 8.

But meditation has helped miraculously with the heart palpitations. Despite no real decrease in work/life stress, I would say they're at about 20% of what they used to be (in frequency) and the number continues to decline. It's a result I am really pleased with.

I'll continue to keep you all posted. I am trying some other (non-drug) therapies to come out of this little sleep rut I'm in.

oscarabeo

Trojan1958

• Who are you?
    • Buddhist
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2018, 12:54:40 AM »
New here, and have only been meditating for 6 months. But this thread caught my eye because these were the reasons I started in the first place: Anxiety and the resulting sleeplesness. In those six months that problem has pretty much come to an end, however, I have not been in too many stressful situations. But I just wanted to comment on this because I ma new to the group today and new to Meditation 6 months ago.

oscarabeo

• Who are you?
    • Vipassana
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2018, 12:11:48 AM »
Hi Trojan1958,

I'd love to hear more about your story.

o.

oscarabeo

• Who are you?
    • Vipassana
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2018, 03:44:12 PM »
Hi all,

I want to give a short update. It's about five months post vipassana.

While I realize that vipassana/meditation are not ultimately about the benefits to one's physical body, those benefits do exist.

In my case, two of the physical issues concomitant with my anxiety are now at about 10% of what they were before starting meditation. These are my dermatitis/acne and heart palpitations.

While I still occasionally have skin issues, I am now no longer using my medicated shampoo on my hair and face, which I used to have to use daily. This is not only because my symptoms are reduced, but my emotional reaction to those symptoms has changed from, "I have to fix this," to "It's not so bad as it is." I can't tell if my head is less itchy, or if I am just more at peace with the itch.

Secondly, while my heart used to pound out of control day and night, I now only have a couple hours a day where my heart is beating in an unusual way, if at all. Most of the time I have a pretty stable sense of calm. I have noticed, through meditation, that the palpitations are associated with an agitated mind. When my attention is in the present moment, they usually subside after a while. Constantly checking in with myself, asking, "where is my attention right now?" has played a role.

Meditation ("samatha" in my case, practicing using "The Mind Illuminated") is making a profound difference in my body.

While I'm still sleepless, and may be for a while, I am confident that when the time is right, the insomnia will also resolve itself.

o.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 03:47:52 PM by oscarabeo »