Author Topic: Not able to enter the gap when meditate  (Read 488 times)

kenpeter

• Who are you?
    • Personal
Not able to enter the gap when meditate
« on: January 04, 2018, 10:38:23 PM »
Hi,

I try to enter the the gap when meditate (or deeper in meditation). I have tried the following methods:
1. Counting number, sometime it works, but most of the time, it didn't. I start to have headache.
2. Focus my attention at my nose tip, intentionally. I start to have headache.
3. Focus next breath, intentionally. Again have headache.

It seems bring intention to something, cause my headache. Meditation becomes suffering.

Currently, I come back to original method. Focus in and out breath and bring no thoughts (important).
I am not able to enter the gap easily, but at least feels better. No headache.

There is something wrong with the way of practise. Please advice.

pwinston

• Vipassana
Re: Not able to enter the gap when meditate
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 08:28:05 PM »
If you are having a headache during meditation that seems bad. Do you also get a headache from non-meditative activities like reading? Because there might be a medical issue you need to address with a doctor.

Aside from that. Focusing "in and out breath bring no thoughts" sounds to me like a perfectly fine meditation strategy. So if that's comfortable, I would just do that.

If you do want to try something that tends to cause a headache, I would do it for a very short amount of time and stop before the headache starts. Do it for only 10 minutes or 5 minutes or 2 minutes. Whatever you can handle. Then slowly increase the duration by a few minutes each week. This is very generic advice: when your body cannot tolerate something, do it in small doses and then increase slowly. But only if you are otherwise healthy.

But I think your feels better approach is not a bad approach. Maybe stick with that.

chin

• Goenka
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 11:16:28 AM »
I struggled with headaches in the beginning of my practice and about 2 years in still experience the struggle sometimes. But mostly I have managed to change my relationship to the sensations of the headache. Remember, the headache is also just another sensation. See if you can just let it be. Meditation is not suffering, but it does often bring latent suffering to the surface for me to see how I create psychological suffering from physical sensations.

In my case, it took me well over a year of practice to be able to see how I was creating the headache sensations by grasping at the breath, rather than just observing. There was a lot of tightness in my jaws and face/internal head muscles that I wasn't aware of, and these were creating the headache. But when I consciously try to relax my jaws, I'm actually trying to make the headache go away, which in the ultimate scheme of things is counterproductive. Instead, I try and be with the sensations of the headache and accept them for the purely physical sensations that they are.

PS: One more trick that helped was to drink plenty of water. I think it helps relax the head muscles, so it's useful in the short run.

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 11:17:39 AM »
Hi,

I try to enter the the gap when meditate (or deeper in meditation). I have tried the following methods:
1. Counting number, sometime it works, but most of the time, it didn't. I start to have headache.
2. Focus my attention at my nose tip, intentionally. I start to have headache.
3. Focus next breath, intentionally. Again have headache.

It seems bring intention to something, cause my headache. Meditation becomes suffering.

Currently, I come back to original method. Focus in and out breath and bring no thoughts (important).
I am not able to enter the gap easily, but at least feels better. No headache.

There is something wrong with the way of practise. Please advice.
It could be a tension headache caused by the meditation. In which case you may not be going through the right sort of relaxation exercises at the start. I usually give myself a whole body scan as the start of every meditation, noting where the tension is and relaxing every part, starting with the toes and ending with the scalp.
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

pwinston

• Vipassana
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 10:55:09 PM »
On of the best feeling in meditation is when your face relaxes, when you thought it was perfectly relaxed in the first place! But you suddenly realize it wasn't. It's a very relaxing feeling!