Author Topic: Looking for place to study meditation 6 months-1 year+  (Read 400 times)

beingOntime

• Who are you?
    • Buddhism
Looking for place to study meditation 6 months-1 year+
« on: January 02, 2018, 08:07:39 PM »
I’ve suffered from acute anxiety, social and general, all my life. It has hindered me in the pursuit of my dreams and sabotaged my attempts to achieve my goals. The only thing I’ve found that is effective at treating it is meditation. A few years ago, while I was in school, I was able to entirely eliminate my anxiety from my life after 6 months of daily, consistent meditation. Not only was I no longer anxious, but I had found a confidence in myself and immense joy that I had never felt before. Unfortunately, because of extenuating circumstances I was unable to continue my practice and so my anxiety returned in full force.

At this time in my life, I luckily can meditate; but because I am living the post-grad struggle to survive, I am bombarded with stress, negative thoughts, and persistent anxiety. This cloud of negativity has made the results of my practice significantly less fruitful than they were when I was a student. And the fact that I live in an incredibly noisy major city means that I can only meditate once in the morning before all audible hell breaks loose. I know that if I had several months to myself away from the pressures of my life to simply meditate in solitude, I would acquire the peace and equanimity I had years ago and a solid spiritual foundation from which I could pursue my goals.

From my reading, I have noticed that many of those who teach meditation have had the opportunity to hone their practice through extended periods of times living in spiritual communities of some kind or other often training with a spiritual teacher. I am not necessarily in pursuit of a “guru” but simply a place in solitude among the company of spiritually-minded people where I can dedicate myself to meditation for at the very least 6 months, but a year or more if possible. I’m willing to travel outside of the United States, where I currently reside, if necessary–anything that I can do to find the peace again I once had. Any guidance and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Nicky

• Pali
Re: Looking for place to study meditation 6 months-1 year+
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 06:18:44 AM »
Forest Sangha: https://forestsangha.org/community/monasteries

Thailand: e.g. Wat Suan Mokkh (always changing): http://www.suanmokkh-idh.org/idh-contact.html#sm

Anth

• Who are you?
    • Vipassana as taught SN Goenka
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 09:37:51 AM »
Namaste Nicky

Have you tried any of the Vipassana centers in the US? You can apply to stay and serve (known also as 'Long Term Service') and practice at the same time. Most centers are always looking for servers. There are many centers world wide if you choose to travel. Be Happy

https://www.dhamma.org/

Dhamma Manda Meditation Center (Northern California)
Dhamma Vaddhana Meditation Center (Southern Calafornia)   
Dhamma Mahavana Meditation Center (Central California)
Dhamma Dharā Centre (Shelburne Falls, Massachusetts)
Dhamma Delaware Centre (Claymont, Delaware)
Dhamma Patāpa Centre (Jesup, Georgia)
Dhamma Dharā Centre (Shelburne Falls, Massachusetts)

Nicky

• Pali
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 06:57:58 PM »
Namaste Nicky

Have you tried any of the Vipassana centers in the US?

Thanks. I am Australian & have not attended Goeka vipassana. I have only lived or visited in various Thai forest tradition monasteries. Regards

BeHereNow

• "Do not doubt your basic goodness." J. Kornfield
    • Shambhala
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 09:02:59 PM »
I love Shambhala - https://shambhala.org/

There are both places where you can stay for some time, and centres that have courses and sits in various cities throughout the world.  I have been attending their courses in Toronto for some time, and find they are so helpful not just in meditation instruction but in integrating mindfulness into our everyday lives.
"You are the Sky.  Everything else is just the weather." - Pema Chodron