Author Topic: Mindfulness in Plain English - by Henepola Gunaratana. ONLINE Ed  (Read 4992 times)

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
A very good how-to book.
It has many answers to questions one will have along the way.
It focusess many times along the text the important things one needs to remind when practicing.
It is cittanupassana, this means it focusses on the mental states.

TIB if you prefer put it on the web resources.

(posted by Flipasso in books)

It's a paper book readily available at the booksellers and it is also available online at

http://www.vipassana.com/meditation/mindfulness_in_plain_english.php

It is the book that got me started in meditation.

(posted by HHelix78)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 01:50:34 AM by The Irreverent Buddhist »
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Flipasso

Re: Mindfulness in Plain English - by Henepola Gunaratana. ONLINE Ed
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 11:03:38 PM »
there is also the pdf version. good for printing
http://www.urbandharma.org/pdf/mindfulness_in_plain_english.pdf

Morning Dew

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 04:54:00 PM »
I recomanded this book to my wife since she just started with meditation daily. She got seriously discouraged by reading in this book that if you are spending most of your time cought up in thoughts that is not meditation. One is to keep focusing on the sensation under the nose etc...

Meditation is noticing the self engaging those thoughts and disengaging by going back to the whole body relaxing. I told her to stop reading the book and just keep at simple calm abiding.

Meditation is very simple, so simple that books just complicate it.

Che

rishi

• Fortunate Voyage
  • Who are you?
    • transcendental
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2019, 12:47:55 PM »
Vipassana Meditation Centre Insipired me to launch my motivational blog site where I write articles based on my personal experience when I started Meditating myself.

We all go through cumbersome load of painful and trouble-some things throughout our life, which we can face to some extent. But then comes those troubles and pains which we couldn’t bear at all.

Everyone is so busy in their life that they don’t even think about sharing those matters even to their blood relatives or friends.Because they believe why to bother other with their issues, and this eventually leads to self-struggle.

Being a victim of depression and self-struggle I know how it feels when you dreaded want to share your feelings but can’t as your will doesn’t let you do that. The one’s who are facing depression seem absolutely perfect from outside, but deep within only they know the agony they are going through.

Signs such as depressed, these include procrastination, fatigue, lack of sleep, weight-loss, mood swing are seen, If you experience even two or three of these then its a fact to be noted and need to be taken seriously.

You know what its like to be in depression. Now comes the simple remedy to overcoming self-struggle.

There are basically two ways to that the first one is Self-Healing and the second one is Meditation which I have explained completely in my previous blog.

No hard and fast rules. Self-healing is simple and fascinating.

Coming to Self-Healing, the technique is basically diverting your focus and attention from the trouble/pain itself towards something that makes you “happy and forget the pain”. That“something” could be a topic that interests you the most.

I give you a simple instance of self-healing. A few days back I had a tooth decay which led to the tooth’s nerve touching the surface of the tooth leading to uneasy currents which pains a lot.

Doctor said I need to have a root canal, but then I read this article on Chakra Healing which stated ‘any internal body pain can be cured to some extent by diverting the ‘mind’ from the area of the pain to something else.

We are what our conscious tells us to do and diverting your mind to something else is a bit challenging if you aren’t self-disciplined (meditation follower). So I tried doing the obvious thing, whenever I chewed the food on that teeth I did not remind me of the pain. The pain is still on, but I am guiding my mind to not to focus on it.

At first, it perceived it as a hard nut job (Initially I felt its useless to do something imaginary like self-healing but as time passed the mind trick worked and the pain reduced relatively).

Because of space constraint I am posting the link to the complete article (Its in the first line). "Buddham Sharnam Gacchami"
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 06:00:37 PM by Middleway »

Middleway

• Just be a witness.
    • Vipassana as taught by Mr. Goenka - Switched to Shamatha
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2019, 06:01:05 PM »
Moderator edit: Deleted website link to your blog. Note it is not allowed as per the forum rules you agreed to follow. Please do not post any commercial material on the forum. Thanks for your cooperation.
Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2019, 10:48:57 AM »

I give you a simple instance of self-healing. A few days back I had a tooth decay which led to the tooth’s nerve touching the surface of the tooth leading to uneasy currents which pains a lot.

Doctor said I need to have a root canal, but then I read this article on Chakra Healing which stated ‘any internal body pain can be cured to some extent by diverting the ‘mind’ from the area of the pain to something else.

You do know that dulling the pain doesn't heal? My advice is to go and get the root canal fixed before secondary infections take hold and cause even bigger problems.
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

rishi

• Fortunate Voyage
  • Who are you?
    • transcendental
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2019, 06:24:32 AM »
Moderator edit: link to your blog removed again, and from your forum profile.

Final warning: if you link again to your blog your profile will be blocked and deleted. Please abide bu forum rules.

Matthew
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 04:42:41 PM by Matthew »