Author Topic: Visualizing during meditation?  (Read 186 times)

drunger

• Who are you?
    • None
Visualizing during meditation?
« on: November 28, 2017, 03:25:17 PM »
First of all, thanks to admin for the approval! I'm not coming from any meditation school since I was interested in meditation specifically for increasing focus, understanding myself and improving my mood. So, I found out awesome guy from my country (Croatia) who explains a lot about meditation and other "Yogic" themes on YouTube.

I've been doing meditation now for 3 months, first thing in the morning, 20 minutes. During every session I was following guided meditation which focuses roughly onto this:
 step 1. understand (observe) that you were caught up into thinking.
 step 2. slowly wander off from thinking.
 step 3. when thought completely wander start focusing (breath, "dark in front of eyes", guided meditation etc.) .
 step 4. wait for next thought and go back to step 1.

But I've come to the stage when these days my mind unconsciously visualize some dialogs with people, particular scenes with them etc. I'm feeling pleasant in those visualizations (they are about love ones) but now I'm not sure if I should "treat them" the same (release them like thoughts) or should I let my mind sink into them? I'm in a position that I don't know if I'm following them or not or it started being a bit harder to "focus" while I'm meditating. Any opinions?
Thanks!

Siddharth

• S.N.Goenka
    • Determined, Confident and Relaxed
Re: Visualizing during meditation?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 04:47:39 PM »
But I've come to the stage when these days my mind unconsciously visualize some dialogs with people, particular scenes with them etc. I'm feeling pleasant in those visualizations (they are about love ones) but now I'm not sure if I should "treat them" the same (release them like thoughts) or should I let my mind sink into them? I'm in a position that I don't know if I'm following them or not or it started being a bit harder to "focus" while I'm meditating.

Hello and welcome to the forum !

thoughts are bound to arise, but prolonged visualisations are perhaps just your mind clinging on to the experience and feed fuel to the fire.

In my limited understanding, focus is the ability to keep your mind on one thing. Without wandering off into thoughts or giving up. If improved focus is your goal of practise then, when you observe some thought coming, try not to cling to it for too long, i.e. whenever you find yourself in these dream like places, regain your entire consciousness, acknowledge that your mind had wandered off and restart practise.

I am not sure if I could transfer what I want to convey to you in words, but my Metta is with you. Hope you find what you are seeking..

Siddharth
And what is good, Phædrus,
And what is not good...
Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?

drunger

• Who are you?
    • None
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 05:29:38 PM »

Hello and welcome to the forum !

thoughts are bound to arise, but prolonged visualisations are perhaps just your mind clinging on to the experience and feed fuel to the fire.

In my limited understanding, focus is the ability to keep your mind on one thing. Without wandering off into thoughts or giving up. If improved focus is your goal of practise then, when you observe some thought coming, try not to cling to it for too long, i.e. whenever you find yourself in these dream like places, regain your entire consciousness, acknowledge that your mind had wandered off and restart practise.

I am not sure if I could transfer what I want to convey to you in words, but my Metta is with you. Hope you find what you are seeking..

Siddharth

Many thanks my friend I understand what you are trying to say! Although you explained it well I feel guilty for not sharing all story so imagine me in this new position: My first intention was to increase focus, but the more and more I meditated I actually enjoyed the feeling and after full month on meditating, I didn't wanted anything particular from it "in return". After some time of "not caring" I got a little enlightenment in a form of "Realized I'm not my thoughts, my body, my emotions and that I can observe them outside the box. I can observe thoughts coming out from some kind of... water well or source." That enlightenment "caged me" into thinking about for few days, but I remembered I should realize I'm enlightened but at the same time not care and get stuck thinking into that, so I wandered of. And I continued meditating in that "not care" fashion, realized a bunch of things about myself, increased focus even not thinking about that intention anymore etc. till recently when I'm not anymore sure if I'm really meditating or visualizing? Is visualizing while meditating good meditation or not?

Laurent

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 02:03:35 PM »
First of all, thanks to admin for the approval! I'm not coming from any meditation school since I was interested in meditation specifically for increasing focus, understanding myself and improving my mood. So, I found out awesome guy from my country (Croatia) who explains a lot about meditation and other "Yogic" themes on YouTube.

I've been doing meditation now for 3 months, first thing in the morning, 20 minutes. During every session I was following guided meditation which focuses roughly onto this:
 step 1. understand (observe) that you were caught up into thinking.
 step 2. slowly wander off from thinking.
 step 3. when thought completely wander start focusing (breath, "dark in front of eyes", guided meditation etc.) .
 step 4. wait for next thought and go back to step 1.

But I've come to the stage when these days my mind unconsciously visualize some dialogs with people, particular scenes with them etc. I'm feeling pleasant in those visualizations (they are about love ones) but now I'm not sure if I should "treat them" the same (release them like thoughts) or should I let my mind sink into them? I'm in a position that I don't know if I'm following them or not or it started being a bit harder to "focus" while I'm meditating. Any opinions?
Thanks!

Hello,

I think that this next stage is stage 4. You'd have to come back to step 1.
Do not let your mind sink into them, release them like thoughts. You could try to let your mind sink into them, consciously, to see where it leads. But if you keep conscious, it is probable that attraction decrease. Try your own experiences while not losing awareness.
In terms of Buddha's teaching, your experience is described such as "having such an experience", "such an emotional state", "such thoughts" Its is important to notice this, to know this, but not sinking into this. You will feel good and bad things while you are trying to maintain awareness and equanimity (not reacting to them). It is difficult because mind genrally tends to craving or aversion, or ignorance, always telling itself stories. But the reward is to free oneself from all agitation, definitely (purify the mind), being at peace and peace with oneself and others.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 02:12:07 PM by Laurent »

Alex

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 12:20:53 PM »
Hi drunger

Welcome!

…  I'm feeling pleasant in those visualizations (they are about love ones) but now I'm not sure if I should "treat them" the same (release them like thoughts) ... Any opinions?

Yes, you can work with thoughts and images in the same way.

Is visualizing while meditating good meditation or not?

Thinking or visualizing is what our minds do. Simply nature. We are okay regardless. ;)

Visualizing is when we’re ‘experientially fused’ with a story. It is like watching a movie and forgetting you're watching a movie.
Meditation is when, in a next moment, you become aware that there is visualizing/thinking and your intention is to remain in this position of awareness instead of diving into the story again.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 12:47:48 PM by Alex »

drunger

• Who are you?
    • None
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2017, 02:15:13 PM »
Thank you Alex and Laurent that is what I was looking for!