Author Topic: Having some doubts. Am I on track?  (Read 458 times)

Patrice

• Mindfulness
Having some doubts. Am I on track?
« on: October 14, 2017, 06:51:06 PM »
I haven’t been to a retreat yet. I plant to as soon as I can afford the trip and I’m looking forward to it. So far I have been learning vipassana meditation in books. Mindfulness in plain English, The Art of Living and Beyond the Breath are the books I enjoy reading the most. I'm now finishing my 2nd year of daily practice. I must admit I often have doubts about my practice.  I often wonder if the way I meditate is how it should be done or if there is something I misunderstood.  I never could speak to anyone who knows the technique so I never could validate if I learned it the right way.

At first I was mostly just sitting and concentrating on my breath. After a time I started doing body scans instead: just observing sensation at one spot at the time before to move to the next. Sometimes I stay a little longer on an area but most of the time I try to just notice and go to the next. When I have a hard time focusing I just return to my breath for a time before to return to body scan later. This is pretty much where I am with my practice now. Some days I do great, some days not so much.

Dharmic Tui

• Something
    • Some Theravada, some secular
Re: Having some doubts. Am I on track?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 09:31:17 AM »
Sounds like you're on the right track to me. This is an unravelling over time, gradually you may find you shift from focusing on the specifics of your practice (how you sit, what you pay attention to) to observing presence no matter what you are doing.

Alex

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 03:27:19 PM »
Hi Patrice

Much respect for starting and maintaining meditation practice all on your own!

I would suggest also intentionally giving attention to emotional and mental aspects of your experience while meditating, if this is not already the case, which is hard to know from your description. In this way you could simply include your doubts about meditating correctly as something to observe.

Doubt is also perfectly normal in case of not-knowing. It makes you ask questions, investigate, etc.

Just as the great ocean contains many treasures, but has only one taste, that of salt, so the teaching contains many treasures but has only one taste, that of liberation.

You can taste for yourself: what has two years of practice brought you? (no need to answer for me, just a rhetorical question)

Kind regards
Alex

Marshmallow

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 09:07:37 PM »
What you said sounds like you're doing it right, you just need to keep doing it.  :)

I think there's a lot of people who spend too much time reading about it to make sure they're doing right and not actually doing the work, of course doing the work is the real trick to getting where you want to be.  ;)