Author Topic: Can any having pa auk monastry experience. Plz pm me... i am keenly intresred  (Read 276 times)

Ravi1586

• Who are you?
    • Vipassana in tradition of sn goenka
I m keenly inyrested to go for deep experjence.

Crispy0405

• If you sit let it be.... If you walk let it be....
    • Everything
    • The weather is good
What kind of deep expirence are you after?

Ravi1586

• Who are you?
    • Vipassana in tradition of sn goenka
Have u ever been to pa auk. I want to exper8ence self of having long retreat.

Crispy0405

• If you sit let it be.... If you walk let it be....
    • Everything
    • The weather is good
No I haven't sounds interesting though I have only done weekend retreats, 8)

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Content.
Not at Pa Auk, longest retreat I have completed is 30 days/14 hrs per day sitting. It is very powerful to experience such a retreat, though going in with no expectations and goals, as always with meditation, makes for good practice.
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Matthew

• Staff
    • Content.
I've been asked by private message for some information about my 30 day retreat. As I am working towards taking a bit of time away from forum duties I'm going to answer here. Also because it really is more useful to have discussions on the forum boards, where everyone can use the information. So to answer the question:

Thirty day retreat was taken at Dechen Choling meditation centre in France - part of the Shambhala organisation. Usually the cost of these retreats is quite expensive, however, I was living at this centre on staff managing the office at the time, so did not pay.

The retreat was well-run with a good timetable and supportive staff. Meals are taken in the shrine room and noble silence maintained throughout. There is support from an individual meditation instructor and the course leaders if something needs discussing, and twice weekly meetings with your meditation instructor as a matter of course.

The experience of sitting for an extended period in a group is very intense and powerful. You really do look deep into the mirror of your own mind and being. The centre and program setting and set-up was very supportive and this allows for a deep immersion to happen.

How deep you go on such a retreat depends on such circumstances, yet more importantly it depends on how ready you are to go deep into the practice - and how much dedication to practice you are willing to exert.

Whatever your circumstances, and wherever you can, I would thoroughly recommend taking up all retreat opportunities open to you, even at Goenka centres - which anyone who has been here a while knows I am no great fan of the techniques - yet how do they know what practice you are doing when sitting on the cushion? ;)
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Laurent

Matthew,

I wish only you to take part to a Goenka retreat, to practice this technique a while. You should be a lot more able to criticize it after taking part to such a retreat  :)

Otherwise, i am interested to know what you exactly practised during this 30 day course. Was it free practice or were they teaching something more precise?

Cheers

Matthew

• Staff
    • Content.
Hello Laurent,

The practice was "Calm Abiding" (translated from the Tibetan) or Anapanasati, to build the fruits of Shamatha and Vipassana.

Kindly,

Matthew

Laurent

Merci Matthew  :)