Author Topic: Satipaṭṭhāna Sutta & Anapanasati Sutta  (Read 634 times)

Crispy0405

• If you sit let it be.... If you walk let it be....
    • Everything
    • The weather is good
Satipaṭṭhāna Sutta & Anapanasati Sutta
« on: September 06, 2017, 02:58:39 AM »
Hello everyone  ;D
Is there a difference between the practice described in the Anapanasati Sutta compared to the Satipaṭṭhāna Sutta?
just would like to get everyone's opinion on this?

Middleway

• Just be a witness.
    • Vipassana as taught by Mr. Goenka - Switched to Shamatha
Re: Satipaṭṭhāna Sutta & Anapanasati Sutta
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 02:13:59 AM »
Hi Crispy0405,

I do not see significant difference between the two. In anapanasati sutta, we use breath as an anchor and observe the body (sensations), feelings, mind and mental contents. In satippattana sutta, breath is not used as an anchor.  To observe the rise and fall of things, one needs well developed mindfulness. Alternately, one can work on developing mindfulness by observing rise and fall of things. Breath as an object of meditation will help develop mindfulness which can then be used to observe the rise and fall of things.

Hope this helps.

Warm regards,

Middleway
Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Nicky

• Pali
Re: Satipaṭṭhāna Sutta & Anapanasati Sutta
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 11:41:18 AM »
The suttas are significantly different. The SS was not spoken by the Buddha but is merely a collection of disconnected practises found from different teachings of the Buddha. For example, it illogically includes the five hindrances in the 4th satipatthana. The AS was spoken by the Buddha or by an arahant because it describes the natural unfolding of stream-entry. Unlike the SS, the AS only includes pleasant feelings (rapture & happiness) that arise from calming the breathing (where as SS includes both painful & pleasant feelings). The AS ends with Nibbana, i.e., contemplation of impermanence resulting in dispassion, cessation & giving up. The SS does not.