Author Topic: New members introduction thread 2017 - present.  (Read 12002 times)

gannuman

• I'm a human being. What more is necessary to say?
    • Mostly Theravada, some Hatha Yoga, some Taoism, some Vajrayana, very little Chan
    • Continuos interior remodeling
Re: New members introduction thread 2017 - present.
« Reply #125 on: May 24, 2020, 10:55:18 PM »
True :) thank Middleway!
Lord of gods, there are two kinds of happiness ... Two kinds of sadness ... Two kinds of equinimity: That which you should cultivate and that which you should not cultivate.

Nicolas

• Vipassana in the Goenka tradition
« Reply #126 on: May 28, 2020, 09:11:21 AM »
Bonjour everyone!

I'm Nicolas from Switzerland. I have been practising vipassana/anapana in the style of Goenka since last year and have been (most of the time  :-\ ) kept a daily practise since, which I found challenging yet rewarding. Like I believe many others, I was a "lurker reader" on the forum for some time. One of the thing I've really enjoyed here is that it has helped me put the school I come from in perspective, I mean not taking Goenka's teachings as final words or beyond criticism.

Have a nice day all!

Middleway

• Just be a witness.
    • Vipassana as taught by Mr. Goenka - Switched to Shamatha
« Reply #127 on: May 28, 2020, 11:51:56 AM »
Welcome to the forum Nicolas.
Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Emoint

• Who are you?
    • Emotional intelligence
« Reply #128 on: June 08, 2020, 09:18:24 AM »
Hi all,
My name is Lance and I have not lurked on the forum, i think more accurately I have lurked for a way to really contact myself a lot of my life. I'll be honest, I have asked to join this forum because despite a dysfunctional family upbringing and counselling, it was not until my aunty died that the true extant of my deafness to me and shut down of the inner workings came to the surface. Nothing was working really, then I read that emotions run the mind not the mind runs the emotions and things began to click. My instinct lead me to mindfulness, then to emotional intelligence, and the EQ forum said to talk to people each day about how your meditation went. Thats why i'm here to be amongst people who meditate and can relate experiences. I'm meditating 20 mins a day on the beginners stage of EQ website started by the segals in america. It seems that some of you have meditated for many years and are very practised at it, I have been meditating 20 mins a day for four days and happily feel like a child in comparison. I dont know the different forms or types of meditation, it is enough that i have discovered EQ's website. Is it ok that the one thing in common and prevalent theme is that we all meditate. I guess I just need to be, or need to know that like minded people are close to hand for comfort and peace of mind I guess. hence my desire to register with you. Thanks

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #129 on: June 10, 2020, 09:45:06 AM »
Hi Lance,

Welcome to the forums. Such dynamics can truly hold us back in life. It's all learned behaviours though, and can be unlearned too. Meditation was the beginning of true healing for me, also coming from a very dysfunctional family/background. The calm helped me know "I'm safe, I can handle it" and the insight gained started to untie the knots that bound me. I don't think it would be hyperbolic to say it may have saved my life.

I look forward to getting to know you through this space. I'm sure you will find the practice beneficial, the fruits of meditation undo these patterns of suffering with patience, self-compassion, and a little time.

You might find the "calm-abiding" practice linked from the home page beneficial. Development of calm and acceptance in body and mind unlock many doors.

Warmly,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Thanisaro85

• When thoughts, sensations, feelings arise,know it
    • Reverend father Jaran, Pramote. Theravada
    • Still breathing.
« Reply #130 on: June 11, 2020, 12:17:07 AM »
Hi all,
My name is Lance

Hi Lance,

Just a quick note, the mental state of every person varies. So sometimes even new meditators can progress very fast too. It is just like someone who have great physical health by default, even he has not run for 10 to 20 years, he can progress in marathon pretty quick. And next, hope you can find some good sharings here that benefits you

Regards
A Mind Unshaken, when touches by worldy matter, sorrowless, secure and dustless, this is the ultimate great blessing~ Mangala Sutta

Emoint

• Who are you?
    • Emotional intelligence
« Reply #131 on: June 12, 2020, 10:53:19 AM »
Thankyou Matthew and Thanisaro 85 for your welcomes,  Thanisoro85 I like the analogy, it is true especially in this lock down you see people running or exercising, and you look at their shape or age and think, whats getting you to do this? Its a case i think of having an in built athlete in you and no matter how much you try to fight it or pass it off, it just comes to the surface anyway. I'm not gonna try and become a monk. I just want to feel all my space within having seemingly run away from that space or unaware of its significance most of my life. I'm only doing beginners emotional intelligence 16 mins meditation and i'm starting to feel the lungs rub,roll, press against the stomach and organs retracting then re settling themselves. So thankyou both, I feel by your responses that I have stepped past the door now into the lobby. i'll check out c-abiding as you suggest Matthew, cheers all

Lucas_T

• Happy to be here
    • Insight Meditation
« Reply #132 on: June 20, 2020, 11:18:30 PM »
Hello Vipassanaforum.net Sangha!

My name is Lucas, I live in Toronto, Canada. I have been meditating and attempting to learn Dharma seriously for the past year.
I sit for two hours each day, and hope to spend some time practicing intensively at a monastery when health regulations deem it safe to do so.

The practice has greatly improved my life, from helping me develop my attention, gain control of anxiety, and generally aid my understanding of what it going to make my life enjoyable and meaningful.
The groups that I am a part of are full of mostly people 50+, I am in my mid 20's, so sometimes because of the age difference I lack that sense of being able to connect and discuss practice. These conversations are ones I definitely crave, so I'm very happy to see that they go on here.

Hoping everyone is safe in this time and practice is going well!

-L
So surprising
How little I knew
Even till yesterday

Middleway

• Just be a witness.
« Reply #133 on: June 21, 2020, 01:42:03 PM »
Welcome to the forum Lucas.

consapevolezza

• Who are you?
    • Vipassana
« Reply #134 on: August 14, 2020, 03:22:55 AM »
Hello, I hope that everybody is staying safe from the global pandemic and other circumstances. I am writing from the East coast of the United States. I participated in a 10-day silent meditation retreat in Amherst, MA, in November of 2019. I have strived to practice Vipassana at least once a day since, especially during this pandemic. I look forward to following and contributing to interesting discussions.

Middleway

• Just be a witness.
« Reply #135 on: August 14, 2020, 11:41:28 PM »
Welcome to the forum Consapevolezza.

MusicAndMind

• Who are you?
    • Mindfulness but I am still looking
New here, but I guess that is redundant.....
« Reply #136 on: August 22, 2020, 04:54:17 PM »
...since I am posting in the new members thread. :)

I have been meditating off and on for a few years, and for about 1 year daily. I have sooooo many questions but I will look around to see if some of them have been addressed already, which I am certain will be true for many of them. I just want to introduce myself here and tell you all a bit about who I am.

I am a professional musician, with a loooong history, so I may find the "Hangout" or whatever the non-forum topic thread is called here at some point and tell some life's stories. I also work as a tour guide but have only been doing this since 2012. I am American, from Texas, but I now live in Germany and have for about 40 years. I have a wife and 2 lovely children. I have been out of work since March, but this is certainly a situation many are also experiencing. My professional future is not very rosy, and I am using meditation to try to keep centered and my outlook from going farther down that it already has.

Meditation has made some big differences in my entire life's outlook, and I am kinda surprised at the difference it has made. Of course, lately, it is getting harder for me to keep positive, but that is one of the reasons I went searching for a meditation forum. I did a few years stint as a professional poker player. I am pretty good but not as good as I thought (tilt, for anyone who knows poker, was my main downfall...). Financially, I came out ok, meaning I kept my losses to a minimum, and actually made a bit of money doing poker room reviews, and book reviews. Why people wanted my input, and paid me for it, when my winnings were so...uhh... not good, I am not sure. But I am knowledgable about the game, so I guess that was why. They paid me, so I didn't ask... :-) But I became a member of a really cool poker forum, a smaller community, and made some lasting friendships. Perhaps that will happen here as well.

But no matter what, I am looking forward to hearing others' advice and experience in meditation and mindful living. I am not a Buddhist, and read that many here may be. I am not a religious person at all, but I do consider myself on a spiritual journey (that may be a very contradictory statement, I don't know..) and am very interested in learning new ideas about spirituality. In my opinion, religion and spirituality are two completely different things. Buddhism would interest me, at least I would be happy to know more about it. Still, that is not my reason for being here. Meditation is.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to meeting some of you.

Middleway

• Just be a witness.
« Reply #137 on: August 22, 2020, 05:23:41 PM »
Welcome to the forum MusicAndMind. That’s quite an introduction. Look forward to you walking the path with all us of here.

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
Re: MusicAndMind
« Reply #138 on: August 23, 2020, 12:31:04 PM »
Hi MusicAndMind
Nice to hear from you. I guess there are many musicians in the same boat, literally victims of the gig economy. I took up meditation only as an experiment to see if it would change my state of consciousness. I was not interested in Buddhism as I was not religious, but got interested when it had some of the answers to what happened to me after meditating a number of years. As a science teacher (retired now) I went with what I could use to explore my experiences, and nobody could have been more surprised than me when I decided to go through a formal ceremony to become a Buddhist.

Luckily you don't have to become one to get a lot out of meditation, but there's a lot of useful experience in meditating in Buddhist writings to get to grips with, if you can get around the religious language which often obscures the message. I'm in lockdown in the UK and using my time to catch up on piano skills I didn't have time for as a teacher. I played the guitar and taught it for a number of years, but only as an accompaniment to songs. On the piano I could vamp chords with my left hand and follow a melody from sheet music with my right.

I bought a keyboard with a midi out and attached it to my laptop, bought some software, and started again from scratch to read music and play the piano properly (as I would say) to an intermediate level. Look forward to hearing some of your stories.
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

mobius

• vipassana
Re: Re: MusicAndMind
« Reply #139 on: August 23, 2020, 11:47:38 PM »
Hello MusicAndMind; sounds like you have an interesting life. I'd love to hear more!
There's a lot of people who's future isn't looking real good right now or at least uncertain including me, and probably a lot of us using meditation to help ourselves keep a good attitude. I too was surprised by the effect meditation had on my life (I think a lot of people go through this).

@stillpointdancer:
I always love to hear that someone learns (or re-learns) to play an instrument. While I've played piano and guitar for several years now I've never learned to read sheet music. Keep at it and have fun!
"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
Re: Re: MusicAndMind
« Reply #140 on: August 24, 2020, 10:50:32 AM »

@stillpointdancer:
I always love to hear that someone learns (or re-learns) to play an instrument. While I've played piano and guitar for several years now I've never learned to read sheet music. Keep at it and have fun!

I bought eMedia software 'piano for dummies', which, unlike the book, is interactive. I usually play with headphones so the midi-out connection worked to mark my playing as I went through the exercises and played the sheet music. If I was up near 90% accuracy then I moved on. Not quite the same as having a teacher there, but was pretty good. I've moved on to their intermediate level software (I don't have shares in them BTW) which doesn't have the same feedback, but is fun to use, especially when I bought foot switches which allow me to turn the pages over on the laptop. I play other fun stuff too. My problem is that I would rather play 100 pieces from my books than spend time learning a much smaller number by heart, which I would like to do because then I get 'into' the music more.
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

mobius

• vipassana
« Reply #141 on: August 30, 2020, 06:26:46 PM »

@stillpointdancer:

I bought eMedia software 'piano for dummies', which, unlike the book, is interactive. I usually play with headphones so the midi-out connection worked to mark my playing as I went through the exercises and played the sheet music. If I was up near 90% accuracy then I moved on. Not quite the same as having a teacher there, but was pretty good. I've moved on to their intermediate level software (I don't have shares in them BTW) which doesn't have the same feedback, but is fun to use, especially when I bought foot switches which allow me to turn the pages over on the laptop. I play other fun stuff too. My problem is that I would rather play 100 pieces from my books than spend time learning a much smaller number by heart, which I would like to do because then I get 'into' the music more.

I kind of have the opposite problem. I know only a few songs/pieces pretty well (and have totally forgotten some over the years that I haven't played in so long like Moonlight Sonata). Because it takes longer (at least for me at this level) to learn a song by ear. That and much of my musical time is spent focusing on my band's own stuff.

If you're interested in learning more about musical theory and tips on piano or guitar I highly recommend youtube channels like "Rick Beato" or "David Bennett Piano".
"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

BHendrix

• Who are you?
    • Beginner
« Reply #142 on: October 01, 2020, 04:20:31 PM »
Good morning y'all!!!! I'm super excited to be a part of this community and wanted to take a moment to introduce myself. My name is Brandee from the great state of Texas and I've been on my journey of manifestation/meditation for almost 2 years. I'm a certified health coach and small business owner just here to swap stories and share ideas with like minded individuals. I'm looking forward to learning more about the Buddhist practices as well. Thank you Matthew for allowing me to be part of your movement  ;D I can't wait to share and learn more from all of you!

Many Blessings,

Brandee

milco

• Closer each day
« Reply #143 on: October 02, 2020, 08:02:03 PM »
It's been a long time, been a long time, been a lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely time. Yes it has.

Hi! My name is Tony and I am from Liverpool.

I like beer, decent music and football -- especially the wonderful Liverpool F.C.

I attended a course of six sessions with 'Mindfulness Merseyside' about three years ago, having suffered with depression and anxiety on-and-off for about twenty years. I did quite a bit of counselling last year, which I found fairly useful and used the meditation app Headspace for a few months before settling into quite a chilled, and settled, space with mediation. I feel like I have hit a bit of a groove now and really feel the benefits from it.

I have gone back to my original career, working with a Housing Association in Liverpool and everything feels like it is heading in the right direction.

I have questions to ask and opinions to deliver and I will get round to all of that, but for the moment -- hello!  ;)

dharma bum

• Certified Zen Master (second degree black belt)
    • vipassana
« Reply #144 on: October 03, 2020, 01:58:27 AM »
Welcome to the forum BHendrix and Milco.
Mostly ignorant

mayank

• Who are you?
    • Vipassana
« Reply #145 on: November 14, 2020, 09:47:39 AM »
Hi everyone,
Thanks for accepting me to this forum. My name is Mayank and I've been meditating on and off for a year. I found this forum while frantically searching for some questions. I'm struggling on my meditation path and somehow, I find myself back to where I had started a year ago, with an overactive mind and mental and physical pain. While I made an account because I had intention to post some stuff, I realise most of it is posted here already, and I'm taking my time to absorb the information while also trying to meditate still. There is nothing I have to ask, but my thoughts and pain feels unbearable rn  :( , and having others on the same path has encouraged me. So I have decided to stay.
Love to all.

Phil

• Who are you?
    • Theravada
« Reply #146 on: November 14, 2020, 11:16:42 AM »
Dear spiritual friends

Brief introduction of myself and my practice:

Male, 40s, living in central Europe, retired.

I started meditation about 10 years ago. Some practice in the Goenka tradition (3 day day courses, some shorter, some serving). Switched to other Theravada branch (Western Lay Buddhism of people like Joseph Goldstein / Jack Kornfield) and stayed.

Spent over 1.5 years on retreat, most of them lasting between 1 and 3 months.

Self-studies of the Suttas (read all of the Majjhima Nikaya and most of the Samyutta Nikaya), the Abidhamma and other texts such as the Manual of Insight.

Happy if I can be of help to others.

May you be enlighted in this very life.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 03:01:41 PM by Matthew »

Middleway

• Just be a witness.
« Reply #147 on: November 14, 2020, 12:16:10 PM »
Welcome to the forum Phil. Freedom forty eh. Congratulations!

I would encourage you to provide your help  / advise out in the open in the forum rather than one on one personal messages. We all could benefit from the discussion.

I just have this burning question no one answered to my satisfaction. I will start another thread where you could address my question. Thanks in advance!

In the Dhamma,

Middleway