Author Topic: New members introduction thread 2017 - present.  (Read 9582 times)

11Kayxx

• Kristen
    • On an exploration
Re: New members introduction thread 2017 - present.
« Reply #100 on: December 12, 2019, 12:27:04 PM »
Hi everyone,

I've been lurking for a few weeks, so I thought I'd finally say hello.

I'm so impressed by the amount of knowledge here. Thank you for sharing it! I've found it incredibly helpful.

I'm preparing for a short solitary retreat in February. I'd like to devote some time to increasing knowledge while I'm there. I know there is an entire thread on good reads, but if you had five days of solitude for meditation and mindfulness (and you were of the opinion that devoting some time to reading would be beneficial), what would you bring along to read?

May you all advance on your path :)

Middleway

• Staff
  • Just be a witness.
    • Vipassana as taught by Mr. Goenka - Switched to Shamatha
« Reply #101 on: December 12, 2019, 01:11:15 PM »
Welcome to the forum 11Kayxx. I am not one of those who think devoting time for some wholesome reading during a retreat would be beneficial. So, I cannot make any recommendations. Good luck with your retreat.
Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Lerxst

• Who are you?
    • Theravada
« Reply #102 on: January 17, 2020, 12:20:09 PM »
Hello all,

It is great to have a forum like this. I hope to learn and perhaps help others. In about a month I will be starting a year-long retreat. I have meditated for a few years now but this opportunity has arisen to take a year out and concentrate on developing mindfullness and studying the Suttas, particularly the Satipatthana Sutta, in near solitude. This is a big undertaking and I am sure I will have many challenges. I don't know if I can do it but I will do my best and persevere. That is the plan. I hope to use this forum and share my experiences along the way.

I am not sure if I will have time to write much here before I start but we'll see.

All the best

Lerxst
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 01:12:43 PM by Lerxst »

Siddharth

• Staff
    • unlearning, relearning and letting go
« Reply #103 on: January 17, 2020, 12:48:32 PM »
Welcome, Lerxst. May this forum be a helpful place for you on the path.
And what is good, Phædrus,
And what is not good...
Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?

amberlight

• Who are you?
    • vipassana
« Reply #104 on: January 22, 2020, 10:36:37 PM »
Good evening.
 I have been around the edges of meditation and Buddhism for nearly 20 years, some Triratna, retreats, meditation courses, buddhism courses, mindfullness, body scanning and the like, metta bhavana retreats. In 2014 I attended 10 day Goenka retreat in the UK, and have sat 5 since, and served 5.
I have had experiences in the retreats and when sitting at home which are not explained on retreat, and seem to have elements of "stream consciousness" I
I am intrigued to know if others have similar intense experiences, and Vipassana outside of Goenka as that is mainly what I have known.

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #105 on: January 22, 2020, 11:14:17 PM »
Hi Amberlight,

Welcome to the forum. Specific questions and enquiries are best addressed on the relevant discussion boards.
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

marcodisco

• Who are you?
    • Vipassana / Mindfulness
« Reply #106 on: January 29, 2020, 06:55:00 PM »
Hi everybody,
I'm Marco an Italian living in Berlin.
I started to meditate 4 months ago and that makes me a newbie  ;D
I'm here cause after those months of DIY, I feel I need to have a feedback on what I'm doing, and reading to this forum looks like full of people that can give me advices.
Thanks and see you soon

dharma bum

• Certified Zen Master (second degree black belt)
    • vipassana
« Reply #107 on: January 30, 2020, 02:19:24 PM »
Marco, Welcome to the forum!
Mostly ignorant

marcodisco

• Who are you?
    • Vipassana / Mindfulness
« Reply #108 on: January 30, 2020, 06:58:51 PM »
Thanks!

StefanM

• Who are you?
    • None
« Reply #109 on: January 31, 2020, 10:53:32 AM »
Hello, members of the Sangha. I'm Stefan, a Romanian living in Italy. I've recently had a persistent realisation, more specifically that "breathing meditation" could help with some of my personal issues and that I have to seek out ways to properly instruct myself in the practice. That is more or less how I landed here. Could someone help guide me through this place?   :angel:

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #110 on: January 31, 2020, 09:38:36 PM »
Hi Stefan,

Welcome to the forum. There is an introduction to Shamatha meditation on the homepage or from here . It's a good to place to start meditation. If you have questions they may be answered in our "new to the forum" guide. Otherwise ask on the meditation practice board. There are lots of video and text resources in the "Library" section.

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

StefanM

• Who are you?
    • None
« Reply #111 on: February 01, 2020, 11:17:05 AM »
Thanks, Matthew! May many blessings come your way.

Dhamma

• Who are you?
    • I practice Vipassana meditation + mental noting (mostly Theravadan)
« Reply #112 on: March 04, 2020, 06:24:35 PM »
Hello,

I never received a proper email that I was approved after registration.  So, I changed my password and realized I was somehow approved. I am very happy about that. :)

I participate regularly on another Buddhist forum.  Sometimes there is a lot of arguing and unwholesome speech, and you're not allowed to mention certain teachers in the Buddhist world. Egos are big there at times. People like to argue for arguing's sake. I am not gossiping or trying to "whine" as I use that forum to learn and grow spiritually. I see the good in it and will continue to participate. I just hope that there is less of these negatives on this forum here.

I have been practicing Buddhism for a few years, although I have been studying it for about ten years or so.

I do Vipassana meditation daily (20-30 minutes) + Tsa Lung exercises (some Bon Buddhism meditations as well). Also, I listen to an array of teachers from all traditions (even Indian yogi traditions at times). I suppose now my direction is mostly Theravadan + some Tibetan + little Zen. But I take from all. I am not glued in to one school.

I believe strongly in Right Speech and take Buddhist precepts very seriously (emphasized "Right Speech" as I see very ugly speech on Buddhist forums). 

I do consider monkhood a real possibility for me at some point in the future.

Finally, I sincerely wish you and all sentient beings that we may fulfill our deepest wish: to be forever happy.

(Some much "I", even though there is no "I").

Peace and enlightenment.  :)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 06:32:11 PM by Dhamma »

dharma bum

• vipassana
« Reply #113 on: March 04, 2020, 07:16:41 PM »
Welcome to the forum Dhamma.
Mostly ignorant

Dhamma

• Who are you?
« Reply #114 on: March 04, 2020, 07:20:15 PM »
Welcome to the forum Dhamma.

Thank you, dear friend.  :)

Guillaume

• Free mind
    • Seeking light
« Reply #115 on: March 15, 2020, 09:24:32 AM »
Hey fellow meditators!

I'm a 36, male, engineer in society, with a healer mind. I started meditation very progressively maybe 10-15 years ago, but only started to take it seriously for 3 years. I was actually more into (self) hypnosis, even more after one encounter with a hypnotist (a living angel). She was so inspiring, she gave me a lot of energy (not sure I needed all of that!). Long live such beautiful souls.
And not so long after, in all my experiments, I took herbs that accidentally smashed my ego and opened my perception, or probably my 3rd eye. I'll probably make a separate post on that, but in short I learned that there was another state of mind than hypnosis, and this path led to light, and sometimes love.

Anyways, I would say that I'm now a 'light-seeker' in meditation. I meditate daily, for as long as I need to see light (usually 20 minutes), and more when I have time. I have also made quite a lot of efforts to detach from people (familly and friends) that were a source of distress.

And I am very happy! Of course I still have times when bad thoughts come back for a day or two, but, yeah, life / nature / god are the ones who decide. That's maybe why I'm also so thankful to it.

Hope I'll learn many things here, and that I can share tips with you!

dharma bum

• vipassana
« Reply #116 on: March 16, 2020, 01:33:58 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Guillaume.
Mostly ignorant

Guillaume

• Free mind
    • Seeking light
« Reply #117 on: March 16, 2020, 06:08:04 PM »
Thanks, dharma bum.

Dhamma

• Who are you?
« Reply #118 on: March 17, 2020, 12:30:18 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Guillaume.  I am new, too.

May we all fulfill our deepest wish: to be forever happy. :)

bekaemily

• Who are you?
    • Goenka Vipassana Meditation
« Reply #119 on: April 27, 2020, 01:05:26 PM »
Hi all,

My name is Bek and I'm from Melbourne, Australia :)

I completed my first Goenka 10-day vipassana course last year in May 2019, which was really something that happened somewhat spontaneously.
I still feel I am relatively new to meditation. I had meditated a little bit prior to completing the course and learned about it in a more day-to-day 'mindfulness' sense.

I've joined this forum in the hope to connect with others regarding experiences during and after the course. So far I can see there are many threads with lots of valuable discussions so I'm eager to explore!

I had a particularly challenging shift to my whole state of perception during and upon completion of the course, and I still do not fully understand what it is that I have been experiencing for the past year. From my research it appears to be fitting with the terms 'dissociation', 'depersonalisation' and 'derealisation'. So I hope to gain some insight or clarification on perhaps what it is I am experience, but I will aim to post a more detailed question in a separate thread to this.

Anyway, just wanted to say a quick hello and thank you for accepting me into this group.

Loving kindness to all.

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #120 on: April 27, 2020, 10:13:30 PM »
Hi Bek,

Welcome to the forum. Some of the issues you raise have come up before so do have a look around, and don't hesitate to ask questions.

In the Dhamma,

Matthew

Twicedaily

• Who are you?
    • Vipassana - Goenka
« Reply #121 on: May 19, 2020, 03:48:57 PM »
Hello  :)

My name is Dan, I’m from Ontario, Canada.  I have been practicing vipassana since early 2017.   10 day (S.N. Goenka ) course I took in 2017 has been a pivotal point in my life.  I realized early the benefits vipassana meditation Provided for myself and for those around me. 

Looking forward to meeting everyone  ;D

Middleway

• Staff
  • Just be a witness.
« Reply #122 on: May 19, 2020, 04:14:09 PM »
Welcome to the forum Dan.

gannuman

• I'm a human being. What more is necessary to say?
    • Mostly Theravada, some Hatha Yoga, some Taoism, some Vajrayana, very little Chan
    • Continuos interior remodeling
« Reply #123 on: May 22, 2020, 03:24:35 PM »
Hello :)

I posted a couple of things here and I'm super thankful to have found this community so I might as well introduce my self. :)

I've been practicing buddhist teachings as well as bits from other philosophies for about 5 years now (actualy that's when I came to terms with what I wanted and began to follow it with more diligence). I'm still strugling to become better, learn and apply the teachings, practice meditation in a regular schedule, developing my morality and way of life and all the other bits and bolts of living a good life.

Sometimes it's pretty hard to follow this path since pretty much none of the people closest to me understand it, so sometimes it feels lonely and sometimes it feels frustrating for even though I try to go one way which I see is wholesome, the ones I care most about sometimes (many times) go the other way. But it is for their good and wealthfare, as well as my own and the good and wealthfare of all of us, all of humans and all of life, that I do this. So I'm really glad to have found people that I think would understand that, even though we might never meet personaly.

Also I believe that the good life belongs to all of us and not just to monks, that's why I chose to do this as a householder. So many people don't listen to and don't care about monks and their practices, but they might as well listen to people just like them, with houses, jobs and families, who managed to find real happiness and wellbeing in this life. So this is what I would like to accomplish. :)

Thank you all for existing, doing what you do and sharing it here. The fact that we're here is so meaningful to me and I'm really glad.  :D
Lord of gods, there are two kinds of happiness ... Two kinds of sadness ... Two kinds of equinimity: That which you should cultivate and that which you should not cultivate.

Middleway

• Staff
  • Just be a witness.
« Reply #124 on: May 23, 2020, 12:08:04 AM »
Welcome to the forum Gannuman.  Following the path and by living a wholesome life, you are bound to bring about change in others that you may not notice immediately. Everybody walks their own path and at their own pace.