Author Topic: New members introduction thread 2017 - present.  (Read 516 times)

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Content.
New members introduction thread 2017 - present.
« on: August 20, 2017, 03:41:21 PM »
That other thread was getting a bit long :)

Welcome.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 03:45:41 PM by Matthew »
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Undertonez_evanston17

• Who are you?
    • Mindfulness / MBSR
Re: New members introduction thread 2017 - present.
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 11:34:28 PM »
Hello everyone  :D   My name is Bre (like the cheese haha) and I'm happy to have found you guys. I've been doing meditation for a few years and have a couple programs back at my alma mater. I just opened my first practice  ??? and I'm hoping to share all my insight with you all on the journey and pickup some insight as well.  Feel free to contact me anytime (though it may take a little while for a reply).

Matthew

• Staff
    • Content.
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 02:51:13 PM »
Welcome Bre. Please refrain from promoting your meditation centre in any way on the forum - such activity is not allowed. Genuine taking part in discussions is always most welcome.
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Vivek

• Staff
    • Advaita & U Ba Khin's tradition
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 06:05:29 PM »
Welcome, Bre. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to.
Let's go beyond this illusion, shall we?

Judith

• Anicca, anicca...
    • Vipassana (S.N. Goenka)
    • Practising the art of living
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 10:49:38 AM »
Goodmorning everybody (it's 11.45 AM here in Amsterdam),

I am Judith and new to this forum. Happy to be accepted to this forum (thanks Matthew ;) ) and being able to share experiences and help eachother during our processes of self-inquiry.

I have been meditating on and off since about ten years. Did several Buddhist courses and practised mostly Shamatha and occasionally Loving Kindness. Never longer then 30-45 minutes though. The courses&retreats  remained to be a kind of intellectual input (I wrote down numerous great wisdom-quotes during the retreats, listening to these very wise guru's and teachers), rather than giving me the tools to really integrate it in my daily life and experience real benefit. Last May I did a training in MBSR (Minfulness Based Stress Reduction) which was already far more practical and useful for me.
I also did many guided meditations through my meditation-app. A great help for me to relax with.

But the real turn around came last august because since then my meditation practice has been significantly intensified after a 10-day Vipassana retreat (in the tradition of S.N. Goenka) in Belgium. Now I truely learned how to sit and keep sitting! ;)
I also have lost some stubborn bad habits since then and notice other very good effects and I am grateful for that! Determined to keep practising for at least one hour a day and aiming for two.

But as you all might recognise.: daily live is demanding (I am a single mother, music teacher and work behind the scenes in the world of theatre and comedy and like to play my cello, write&sing songs and do some rowing on the river of Amsterdam  :) ).

So in brief: nice to meet you all and be part of this online Sangha. I am curious to other Vipassana traditions and like to read your inputs on this forum. Feel like a beginner allover (which is good as Buddha told his pupils to always keep a beginners mind ;) ) and will attend monthly meditation days here in Amsterdam. 
Metta to you all and have a great day! ;D

Judith
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 11:08:23 AM by Judith »
"Discover real peace and harmony within yourself, and naturally this will overflow to benefit others." (S.N. Goenka)

Vivek

• Staff
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 04:06:26 PM »
Welcome, Judith.

Crispy0405

• If you sit let it be.... If you walk let it be....
    • Everything
    • The weather is good
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2017, 12:09:27 AM »
Welcome to the forum Judith  :)

Matthew

• Staff
    • Content.
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2017, 03:58:21 PM »
I am Judith and new to this forum. Happy to be accepted to this forum (thanks Matthew ;) )

Welcome to the forum Judith.

Apologies I mistakenly deleted your account first time round, and thank you for persisting and creating a new one :)

Undertonez_evanston17

• Who are you?
    • Mindfulness / MBSR
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2017, 01:44:56 AM »
Hi all, quick follow up- didn't think I was in ANY WAY promoting my business. I didn't put any identifying information or links. Just trying to share my backstory. Sorry if that broke the rules ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Matthew

• Staff
    • Content.
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2017, 10:21:59 AM »
You broke no rules. Thanks for your understanding.

DC

• Who are you?
    • yutttadhammo bhikkhu
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2017, 10:07:16 AM »
Hello  All,

Just wanted to say hi and looking forward to being apart of this community. Started practicing meditation since april of this year and it has been an interesting experience so far. Never thought how challenging it can be to sit with your eyes closed and go within the body for extended periods of time. As a side note prior to practicing there was a point of time when I was planning to make an exit from this life.  Went thru a really tough break up with a long time girl friend.I try not to project so much into the future and stay in the present moment. Thanks for allowing me into the group!

raushan

• Staff
  • from India
    • S. N. Goenka
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2017, 02:50:00 PM »
Welcome to the forum DC.

Patrice

• Who are you?
    • Goenka
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2017, 06:42:48 PM »
Hello from the canadian arctic. I'm relatively new to meditation and I'm very happy registration to this forum are now open again. Having no one to talk about meditation here, I think it might be of great help to have you guys to learn from and ask questions to.

Vivek

• Staff
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2017, 12:01:45 PM »
Welcome, Patrice.

Siddharth

• Who are you?
    • S.N.Goenka
    • Determined, Confident and Relaxed
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2017, 01:52:33 PM »
Hello everyone, I am Siddharth. I got introduced to meditation through OSHO while trying to figure out certain existential questions in my early teens(late 2011) by reading various texts. Since then, I tried to meditate by reading about what meditation is, but always got frustrated during my practise in a very short period of time and quit. I always wanted to somehow "learn" to meditate but did not make any lasting or significant strides in the direction because of who I was at that point of time.

I December 2014, I learned about Goenka's meditation retreats. As they were free and formally taught how to meditate, I registered instantly for a retreat in may 2015 (semester break from university), but ultimately did not attend. Eventually, I attended the retreat in December 2016, and since then have been practising the technique 50% the days for this last year as taught there(or what i understood they taught). Though my practise generally is an hour long sitting, sometimes I still get distracted and just stop.

Though overall I have become more centred, more observant and have had many physical, social and other realisations in multiple spheres of life, I am still a beginner and learning primarily through my observations and inner experiences.

I find it natural to join this community at this point of time (thank you for accepting me in  :-*). Although I already have a lot of questions and observations to discuss in my mind, I will leave it for subsequent discussions. My understanding so far has led me to believe that we are ultimately all on our own but still there seem to be ample of utility of community or sangha (forgive me if this is not aligned with the basic teachings of gautama the buddha, i do not have in depth knowledge. perhaps some day !). Perhaps we can be play a part in each other's journey.

With Metta,
Siddharth

georg7887

• Who are you?
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2017, 02:15:37 PM »
Hi everyone and thank you Matthew for reopening this forum for new users:) My name is Georg and I'm from Graz, Austria. I started with anapanasati about 10 years ago with definitely more off than on-phases. This year I felt ready to join my first vipassana retreat which gave me a great introduction to my monkey mind, for which I'm really grateful. Since then I meditate on a daily base and I'm becoming more and more mindful during the day. What a wonderful gift that can be:)

I'm looking forward to getting to know you better and share some thoughts with you.

Greetings

Vivek

• Staff
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2017, 05:31:58 PM »
Welcome, Siddharth and Georg.

Geraldine

• Who are you?
    • Vipassana
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2017, 04:59:07 PM »
Hello to everybody

I'm the newest member and very happy to have found your group. My name is Geraldine living in Denmark and I'm pretty new to meditation, having only 'seriously' started in October this year. I'm very much looking forward to getting to know you and to learn more about meditation :)  So far it's the best thing I ever tried.

Best wishes, Geraldine

playground

• m i n d f u l n e s s
    • : )
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2017, 07:24:50 PM »
Welcome Siddharth.
Welcome Georg.
Welcome Geraldine.

:-)