Author Topic: Looking back, what would you have changed on your path, or ........  (Read 843 times)

Thomas D

• Who are you?
    • None specific
.......what would you have advised others to do or avoid?

ergomind

• Who are you?
    • Vipassana. Metta bhavana.
Re: Looking back, what would you have changed on your path, or ........
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 06:59:34 PM »
Interesting thought.
I went to a goenka 10 day retreat without having practiced any meditation before. I didn't have any knowledge in buddhist psychology back then either. Partly as a result of my ignorance I then became almost psychotic for a couple of months before coming back again, much stronger than before my visit to the goenka retreat.
So, to answer your question- I regret nothing. I mean, it was such a valuable treasure to experience all those horrible moments I had. It gave me lots of insight. One example is that I advice people to read more about buddhist psychology before they go on a retreat. If I meet someone who had a terrible experience on a retreat, I have greater insight how to meet their anger or fear because of my own experience :)

Greetings with metta,
M

Dharmic Tui

• Something
    • Some Theravada, some secular
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 10:48:01 AM »
I don't think there's anything to be changed. The path is the path, the hinderances are often the way.

dharma bum

• Certified Zen Master (second degree black belt)
    • vipassana
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 04:28:15 AM »
I don't think there's anything to be changed. The path is the path, the hinderances are often the way.

agreed, though i suppose better sleeping habits in my youth would have helped matters.

after many years, i'm only now beginning to be able to observe my thoughts without reacting to them. i don't know how it is for others - i take a long time to learn. unlearn and learn. that is the cycle.

my breathing is still self-conscious. i still can't breathe naturally during meditation. long way to go.
Mostly ignorant

Dharmic Tui

• Something
    • Some Theravada, some secular
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 06:40:19 AM »
Hah, so you're consciously breathing all day? Breathing is breathing. Focusing on it doesn't need to entail breathing any differently.

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 12:11:43 PM »
Avoid dogma and dogmatic views.
Avoid speculative views.
Base practice in experience.
Base your measure of practice in how it changes you off the cushion.
Don't chase goals.
Be relaxed and determined.
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

dharma bum

• vipassana
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2017, 12:20:40 AM »
ah, so you're consciously breathing all day? Breathing is breathing. Focusing on it doesn't need to entail breathing any differently.

when you meditate, you're supposed to breathe naturally, aren't you? i still have trouble breathing naturally. it always seems to me that i'm breathing a little too hard.
Mostly ignorant

Middleway

• Just be a witness.
    • Vipassana as taught by Mr. Goenka - Switched to Shamatha
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2017, 02:10:41 PM »
my breathing is still self-conscious. i still can't breathe naturally during meditation. long way to go.

Good that you are able to notice that you are self-conscious while observing the breathing. Try observing yourself observing the breath. Then observation of the breath will become secondary focus and it will become natural.
Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

dharma bum

• vipassana
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2017, 06:17:11 PM »
thanks Middleway, I'll try it out.
Mostly ignorant