Author Topic: darkness retreat advise please  (Read 364 times)

smcd

• Who are you?
    • drogheda
darkness retreat advise please
« on: July 07, 2017, 09:49:00 AM »
Hey Guys, Im starting a 12 day darkness retreat very soon and wanted some advise please.

During this retreat its said ; ' Many spiritual experiences are possible during a Darkness Retreat. It is often accompanied by a deeper sense of self, introspection, observation of mental processes, experiencing the primal sound or primal light, visitations by spirit entities, the deceased, light beings or forces of nature. Other common experiences of a Dark Retreat include sensing the void, death experiences, reincarnation experiences, sensing a second body and many more. As we manage to let go of our surroundings, we stop projecting ourselves onto the outside world and literally begin to look within.
This way, it is possible to transform the Ego-Experience into simply ‘being’, which brings with it a wonderful sense of unity and ‘having arrived’.
According to the pre-buddhist Bön religion in Tibet, Darkness Retreats represent the “golden road to meditation”

So my question is should I use the vimpassana teachings which are not to react and come back to sensation or just go with what ever comes up..

Im a little confused and obviously dont want to begin this without being clear.

Middleway

• Now is beautiful
    • Vipassana as taught by Mr. Goenka - Switched to Shamatha
Re: darkness retreat advise please
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 05:36:12 PM »
Sounds like a very interesting retreat, some day I would hope to attend one. I thought about what I would do if I were to attend such a retreat. Survival is main issue for us humans (and living beings in general) that continuously emphasizes/enforces our sense of self. Crossing the road we would want to avoid traffic hitting us, hunger makes us hoard and plan (or worry) for next meal, go to forest and be acutely aware of the wild life that may hurt us etc. All these lead to enforcing our sense of self.

To attend such a retreat in complete isolation where food and physical security out of the way, I would probably live like a plant. Eat and drink when I want, sleep when I want etc without having to worry about survival. Darkness will certainly add to further isolation and will let the mind just be.

My suggestion would be to just watch your mind constantly during the retreat without interfering or "doing" anything with it.

Good luck!
Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Quardamon

• Teachers were: P.K.K. Mettavihari, Frits Koster, Nel Kliphuis. (In the line of Mahasi Sayadaw)
Re: darkness retreat advise please
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 08:55:32 PM »
I would stick to the instructions that you get, so that those who lead the retreat can understand what you are doing and what you are going through. You experience (with vipassana, or other) will a any rate colour how you are following the instructions. Have a good retreat!