Author Topic: Thai Forest Tradition ajahn's  (Read 432 times)

lexandrius

• Theravada
Thai Forest Tradition ajahn's
« on: July 02, 2017, 01:22:15 PM »
Hello everyone,

I had some time to spare this week and have taken a look at other Ajahn's.
At the moment I follow the Thai forest tradition, as -to me- it is what speaks to me. Especially the direct (non theoretical)  no-nonsense approach of Ajahn Chah.
Ajahn Chah has a way with these little (metaphor) stories he tells to simplify and explain or even convey his view on things.
It is rather rarely that Ajahn Chah talks about vipassana in a separate practice but rather has to be experienced in daily life after doing samatha to focus the mind. 
The same goes for metta practice.

Anyway, As I was digging online for some other teachers, I stumbled uppon Ajahn Maha Bua (boowa). He also studied under Ajahn Mun.
Can anyone elaborate -if any- the difference in his teaching style as compared to Chah's?

And a second question, from this wikipedia url https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_Forest_Tradition, I see that there are some teachers I know, others I don't.
Can anyone tell me which one teaches something closely related to what ajahn Chah original teaching were?
This just to broaden my knowledge and to expand my horizon.

Metta,

Lex.

Middleway

• Now is beautiful
    • Vipassana as taught by Mr. Goenka - Switched to Shamatha
Re: Thai Forest Tradition ajahn's
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 07:49:12 PM »
The link below provides all monasteries associated with the disciples of Ajahn Chah. Hope this helps.

https://forestsangha.org/community/monasteries

Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Goofaholix

• Write something about yourself here
    • Theravada / Insight Meditation
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 10:10:37 PM »
Lungta Maha Boowa's teaching style is very different from Luangpor Chah's.  He was an academic before a forest monk and he includes a lot more traditional Thai, mythological, and/or metaphysical references in his teaching.  Personally I find him difficult to read.

The closest teachers to Ajahn Chah are probably his western disciples, Ajahn Sumedho etc, but then the delivery is quite different.  Ajahn Chah taught educated westerners much the same as he did laotian rice farmers so a lot of parables and similes, whereas his western disciples  have very much a educated westerner style.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 10:44:16 PM by Goofaholix »

Nicky

• Pali
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 07:48:52 AM »
I stumbled uppon Ajahn Maha Bua (boowa). He also studied under Ajahn Mun. Can anyone elaborate -if any- the difference in his teaching style as compared to Chah's?

Ajahn Chah only met Ajahn Mun for a short period rather than studied extensively under Ajahn Mun. This video states 3 days:

Another video, here:

Ajahn Maha Bua's teachings are very complicated, often unnecessarily so. Read them for yourself to decide.

Ajahn Chah's teaching style and doctrine was his own but also probably mostly influenced by Bhikkhu Buddhadasa.

And a second question, from this wikipedia url https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_Forest_Tradition, I see that there are some teachers I know, others I don't. Can anyone tell me which one teaches something closely related to what ajahn Chah original teaching were? This just to broaden my knowledge and to expand my horizon.

Ajahn Chah has many direct Western disciples.

Ajahn Sumedho & Ajahn Amaro probably teach closest to Ajahn Chah.

Ajahn Jayasaro probably knows a lot although seems to teach with his own "education" oriented style.

Ajahn Brahm teaches practical wisdoms similar to Ajahn Chah but many of Ajahn Brahm's doctrines on topics such as Dependent Origination are Sri Lankan, heavily focused on reincarnation.

lexandrius

• Theravada
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 08:42:29 AM »
Thanks for the constructive answers. this gives me food for taught.

Much appreciated,

Lex