Author Topic: Need opinion on this  (Read 769 times)

raushan

• Staff
  • from India
    • S. N. Goenka
Need opinion on this
« on: June 02, 2017, 08:25:00 AM »
Hi All,

Hope every one is doing great. :)
I have been very regular with my meditation. But, for the last 1-2 month it doesn't feel like I am practicing meditation . Not much mindfulness. It feeling like normal, I am not in the bad state (like I used to) but also not feeling like I am meditating.  Don't know what's happening. Some times meditation feels boring. Sometimes skipping one or two session isn't a big deal for me unlike earlier.

Is this a phase? Is this normal?

Also, I have attended only one retreat. Not able to find the time to attend second retreat but I am trying. May be in July I will be able to attend.

Also, One more question,
How do you find the time to attend the retreat in the busy life?  I feel tension that it will impact my professional growth if I take 10 days leave for retreat, because in my current job there is work pressure. Seniors are always skeptical to give 10 days leave continuously.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 08:32:42 AM by raushan »

Middleway

• Now is beautiful
    • Vipassana as taught by Mr. Goenka - Switched to Shamatha
Re: Need opinion on this
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 10:47:07 PM »
Raushan, you need to read Dhamma books or suttas and commentaries along with meditation. You need to contemplate on what you read or listen (Dhamma talks). This will sustain interest and deepen practice. Otherwise, meditation will become monotonous and dull without insights arising.

With respect to your comment about your supervisors or seniors, give them very long notice of vacation. If you book your vacation 6 months in advance and openly give the reason why, there would be more acceptance.

Warm regards,

Middleway
Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 10:38:16 AM »
Hi All,
I have been very regular with my meditation. But, for the last 1-2 month it doesn't feel like I am practicing meditation . Not much mindfulness. Some times meditation feels boring. Sometimes skipping one or two session isn't a big deal for me unlike earlier.

Also, I have attended only one retreat. Not able to find the time to attend second retreat but I am trying. May be in July I will be able to attend. How do you find the time to attend the retreat in the busy life?  I feel tension that it will impact my professional growth if I take 10 days leave for retreat, because in my current job there is work pressure. Seniors are always skeptical to give 10 days leave continuously.
I had much the same problem with meditation. My solution was to experiment with different meditations whenever this happened. Eventually the restlessness with meditation would die down, and I could go back to my one or two basic meditations again.

Never solved the problem of retreats, as I led a busy life too. Eventually, I gave up on them, deciding to do, say, a period of study meditation now and then. I was lucky enough to have a Buddhist center nearby, so my regular attendance there helped with the sangha aspect of my life.
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

raushan

• Staff
  • from India
    • S. N. Goenka
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 02:57:33 PM »
Thanks Middleway , stillpointdancer for advice.
Giving seniors long notice should work. Will try it.

BeHereNow

• "Do not doubt your basic goodness." J. Kornfield
    • Shambhala
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 05:04:54 PM »
Hi Raushan,

Do you have any meditation centres or sanghas nearby that you could go to once a week for a sit?  I do this and find it is very very helpful in keeping my motivation and helping develop my meditation.  The place I go to, a Shambhala Centre, also offers a meditation guide, and a spiritual friend of this sort can also help navigate the different phases of the meditation process.

The Goenka centre I used to go to had a set up some weekly sits at people's houses, perhaps this is something that exists near you as well, you could ask your centre.

The other thing to consider is that I've heard periods of feeling as if nothing is happening are very common in meditation practice (for me  I continue to deal with much physical and emotional pain so the boredom sounds like it would be a nice break!).  There is a level of trust in the practice that is needed to keep sitting even when it feels like there is nothing going on, and exploring the feeling of being bored, of nothing happening, could be helpful.  What are the thoughts?  The body sensations?  The emotions arising?

In terms of retreats, I find them difficult to get to as well ever since I had kids.  My goal is to do at least a weekend per year, and set them up well ahead of time - tell work and tell my husband so he's ready to take care of the kids full time!

Much metta,
Paula
"You are the Sky.  Everything else is just the weather." - Pema Chodron

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Content.
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 06:47:00 PM »
Boredom is a common obstacle. The ego doesn't much like being put under the spotlight .. it will dance around you causing whatever disruption to practice it can.
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

LoneWolf

• Who are you?
    • Vipassana (Goenka)
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2017, 03:48:55 AM »
Hi Raushan,

I like your name. It sounds Indian -- Are you from India?

To answer your last question, I think you should make your presence at work consistent and not take much vacation even when you have it (if you can, I know family/friends can make this difficult to do, especially if they are not always around you). Then after a while you can request your Manager to give you ten days off. He will remember that you rarely take off. If you are in India, I think there is more awareness about Vipassana, and (s)he would perhaps also understand it is for meditation practice.

This should make you feel comfortable going to the retreat. When you go, you probably will feel guilty. So I would say you should make a promise to yourself that you won't think about it when you go. That way you can relax and not think about work. For me personally, I find making promises to myself can be helpful with things like this.

Regarding boredom, I think that's pretty natural. My suggestion here would be to meditate anyway, even if you feel like it's not doing much. Sounds like you have been doing this anyway.

raushan

• Staff
  • from India
    • S. N. Goenka
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2017, 08:21:13 PM »
Thanks Paula,

There is a Goenka centre around 40 km from where I live. I can go there on some weekends. Thanks for the advice.

raushan

• Staff
  • from India
    • S. N. Goenka
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2017, 09:32:58 PM »
Hi LoneWolf,

Yes, I am from India. I am glad you liked my name it's literal meaning is Light  :).

Thanks what you said is correct. Being consistent helps. Although I haven't been able to be very consistent. I can improve. I asked manager for leave in August and I think I can go in August.
Even in India, newer generation have different view on Meditation(We are more westernized :) (No offence)). It is seen as religious practice which generally monks do and people generally don't give importance to it until they practice it themselves. I am having hard time to convince even my family members to practice it.

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2017, 10:10:23 AM »
Hi LoneWolf,

Yes, I am from India. I am glad you liked my name it's literal meaning is Light  :).

Thanks what you said is correct. Being consistent helps. Although I haven't been able to be very consistent. I can improve. I asked manager for leave in August and I think I can go in August.
Even in India, newer generation have different view on Meditation(We are more westernized :) (No offence)). It is seen as religious practice which generally monks do and people generally don't give importance to it until they practice it themselves. I am having hard time to convince even my family members to practice it.
I remember chatting to ordinary people in Sri Lanka. They were very proud of their Buddhist monks, whose job it was to meditate so they didn't have to.
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

dharma bum

• Certified Zen Master (second degree black belt)
    • vipassana
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2017, 03:54:22 PM »
good advice from Lonewolf. it is customary in india for people to take a couple of days off work now and then. taking 10 days off is relatively rare, but if you preserve your vacation, managers will be more sympathetic. at least in the bigger cities, vipassana is now known to most people and most people would know someone who has gone to a retreat at least once. not many people actually practise regularly though.
Mostly ignorant

Crispy0405

• If you sit let it be.... If you walk let it be....
    • Everything
    • The weather is good
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2017, 03:39:01 PM »
I'm having the same issue raushan  :-[
Sometimes my meditation sessions feel like I'm banging my head against the wall  :D
The mind is very interesting at the best of times and the worst of times

Neophyte

• Who are you?
    • Mindfulness
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2017, 04:58:28 PM »
I find sometimes meditation goes quickly, sometimes slowly. Just keep doing it.

raushan

• Staff
  • from India
    • S. N. Goenka
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2017, 04:26:22 AM »
Thanks guys,

It's not smooth path for me currently. But i have been practicing it regularly. I have started to see that I have lots of fear inside. Also, this forum has helped a lot.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 04:29:04 AM by raushan »