Author Topic: Question on Suttas  (Read 312 times)

LoneWolf

• Who are you?
    • Vipassana (Goenka)
Question on Suttas
« on: May 02, 2017, 05:04:06 AM »
Hi Friends,

I have encountered the anapana-sati sutta. I'm curious what the Sutta is that describes the "technique" of Vipassana. Are there suttas that describe specific techniques, such as the anapana-sati sutta?

I recently saw the Kayagata-sati Sutta. http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.119.than.html
It says, "...Furthermore, the monk reflects on this very body from the soles of the feet on up, from the crown of the head on down, surrounded by skin and full of various kinds of unclean things..."

Is this the only Sutta that describes the technique of Vipassana? Are there more? If so could anyone give me the names?

With Love

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
Re: Question on Suttas
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 10:43:02 AM »
The Satipatthana Sutta is an obvious one, which closely follows the Kayagata-sati Sutta example you gave. Such Suttas are famous for being about mindfulness, but then use techniques of mindfulness to focus on mind and ideas, in the sense that your example went on to say: "when anyone has developed & pursued mindfulness immersed in the body, then whichever of the six higher knowledges he turns his mind to know & realize, he can witness them for himself whenever there is an opening." This 'witness them for himself' is insight or vipassana.
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka